• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Sounds great for what you want it for, but I'd have thought you'd make your life pretty tough using it for triathlon, you won't be able to get enough out of it on the tarmac I'd have thought?

i think you're probably right, if you were a serious triathlete you'd want a road bike, but i think if you maybe fancied having a go at a triathlon for the fun/challenge but also wanted to use your bike for commuting etc. then something like cyclocross would suffice. you can always put thinner, less grippy road bike wheels on a cyclocross and i doubt the average amateur would notice much difference in performance (from what i've managed to glean from the web!).

If you look at the two types of bike side by side it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference unless you know what you're looking for, the cyclocross bikes in the £700-1000 range are actually marketed towards commuters rather than serious cyclocross racers anyway so are more of a cross between road and cyclocross bikes,

Brian Smith: I told Lance I'd never take drugs... two weeks later I was sacked

By Brian Smith

PUBLISHED:00:10, 12 October 2012| UPDATED:00:10, 12 October 2012

It was the autumn of 1994 and I had joined Lance Armstrong on a training ride on the banks of Lake Como.

We had enjoyed a successful season as colleagues on the Motorola team. I was certainly feeling I’d done pretty well in my first year there. I’d won the British title and just completed my first grand tour at the Giro d’Italia. I’d also won the first European race of the season for Motorola. I’d made a contribution. Proved myself to be a good, solid pro.

But Lance wasn’t happy. He’d won the world road race title the previous year but was getting beaten. There were guys in the peloton he just couldn’t live with and what you have to understand about Lance is that he is a winner. He has to win and he could not handle losing.

That year Evgeni Berzin won the Giro and Marco Pantani emerged on the scene, winning a couple of stages.

So, as we’re riding side by side, the conversation turns to the subject of performance-enhancing drugs. He wants to know what I think. Did I think everyone was on them? Was the only way to beat them to join them? Would I take them?

My dad was a Scottish international cyclist and before I turned pro he sat me down and made me promise that I would never fall into that world, that I would never take drugs.

I told Lance the story and told him I could never let down my dad. I’d rather fail as a cyclist than do that. We rode on.

Two weeks later, I was called to a meeting with Jim Ochowicz, who played a big part in Lance’s career and at the time was Motorola team manager. Jim told me I would not be getting a new contract for the following season. I was out.

I will never know what Lance was getting at that day. Was he seeing if I would be part of his ‘team’ or was I simply one of a number of people he was sounding out?

But I have often wondered if saying yes to drugs on that ride would have made all the difference. Would he have kept me on the team? Would I have had a different career? Would I have been more successful, in terms of results as well as financially? I certainly don’t think it helped me, saying no to Lance that day.

In David Walsh’s book, L.A. Confidentiel, he had a testimony from Steven Swart, who is a good friend and was still on the Motorola team in 1995. He claimed in Walsh’s book that the doping started at Motorola in 1995 and he was ostracised by the sport as a result. The power of Lance.

I made a living out of cycling and continue to do so. I’m the general manager of the Endura Racing team and I work as a commentator for Eurosport, ITV and Sky. I also got to ride in the Atlanta Olympics.

But my one great regret is that I never rode the Tour de France. I never raced in the biggest sporting event in the world.

I always knew riders were doping. But even I didn’t realise the full extent of the cheating that has been exposed by the astonishing evidence which USADA has published.

I feel I was cheated out of a ride on the tour and cheated out of a better living — and I’m no different to any rider at that time who took the decision not to dope and was not as successful as they should have been as a result.

As Lance was coming into the sport, cycling was starting to boom. There was serious money to be made and all those who went with Lance made serious money.

I’ve read the testimonies of his 11 team-mates and that’s fine. But they also made serious money and I don’t see any of them handing it back. I don’t see any of them handing back their big houses.

Christian Vande Velde has admitted to cheating as part of Lance’s gang but I don’t see him losing the big house on the golf course in Girona. These people made a lot of money cheating the sport and cheating people out of it.

A few years ago I set up the Braveheart Foundation and we support young Scottish cyclists financially. I have sometimes questioned whether I’m doing the right thing, encouraging young kids to go into cycling when it could end with drug abuse. I’ve wondered how I might feel if my two boys want to go into professional cycling.

But there are positives to come from all of this and we have a much cleaner sport today. I have no doubt that, in Bradley Wiggins, we have a clean Tour de France champion.

But on the road to this point there have been casualties. For me, it will always go back to that bike ride in Como.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...clist-hed-drugs-sacked.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Tyler Hamilton on 'how US Postal cheated'

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19912623

Lance must feel like a right c##t right now.. The whole world and just about everyone he has ever rode with has now come out but he is just trying to ignore everything and carry on as normal, promoting his charity etc. I used to think ''yeah maybe he used something back then like a few others did'' or ''he just got caught up in it'' but the more you hear, the more it sounds like he was pretty much the f**king ring leader, making sure he had a crack team of dopers around him and like the story above only riders that agreed could be part of the team.

It's also sickening just how easy it was for them to hide it back then... coke cans FFS!!

The problem in cycling is its so corrupt that you have to ask huge questions about who is getting caught and why.
The UCI, Armstrong and Bruyneel are all in commercial deals together.

Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Alexander Vinokourov, Alberto Contador and now Frank Schleck failed drug tests after crossing Bruyneel.

Schleck was suing Bruyneel over unpaid wages. His sample was sent to the only lab in Europe that could test for Xipamide.
Contador fell out with Bruyneel during the 2009 tour when he wouldn't play lapdog to his teammate Armstrong. Less than one year later Contador's sample got sent to the only lab in Europe that could test for Clenbuterol. The Court of Arbitration for Sport said that "the presence of clenbuterol was more likely caused by the ingestion of a contaminated food supplement". The amount of Clenbuterol was 40 times below the minimum WADA limit.

The whole thing stinks to me.

Looks like the whole Bruyneel story is coming out now.

http://www.wort.lu/en/view/french-n...ons-against-bruyneel-50780057e4b0069dd6579285

French newspaper raises doping allegations against Bruyneel

French sports newspaper “L'Equipe” has published an article suggesting that RadioShack manager Johan Bruyneel doped cyclist Fränk Schleck, so that the latter would be unable to leave the team.

The paper speculates that Bruyneel gave the diuretic Xipamide to an unknowing Fränk Schleck, believing that no other team would take the cyclist on if he was suspended from the sport.

Under the headline “Fränk Schleck au coeur d'un règlement de comptes” the paper writes that this move was a kind of retribution after both Schleck brothers had made it clear they wanted to leave the team.

Additionally, the report says that Fränk would have never left the team without Andy, who is still facing problems due to an injury sustained earlier this year. The abnormal urine test and its consequences only tie Fränk further to RadioShack Nissan Trek, l'Equipe states.

Fränk Schleck has repeatedly protested his innocence in the doping scandal surrounding the Luxembourg star cyclist.

Meanwhile, Johan Bruyneel has come under scrutiny for his activities as manager of the US Postal team, as the Lance Armstrong doping case is drawing ever wider circles.

In light of the most recent developments, RTL Luxembourg reports that RadioShack Nissan Trek intends to separate from general manager Bruyneel. This information could not be independently confirmed at this point.

The older Schleck brother faces his second hearing with the disciplinary committee of Luxembourg's Anti-Doping Agency (ALAD) on Monday, after an initial hearing was conducted on August 29.

No details of the hearings have emerged.

As expected, Mark Cavendish leaves Team Sky after 1 year to join Belgium team Omega Pharma Quick-Step @danroan 13 minutes ago

What next for Lance Armstrong? Perhaps he could play a drug dealer on Breaking Bad.

It's hard to see how he can still keep quiet much longer!? He's had to step down as face of Livestrong, lost most of his sponsors, will be stripped of his achievements etc. There's about 20 something ex-team members willing to take lie-detector tests!

Geoff Thomas was inspired by Armstrong and the Livestrong charity and he tweeted..
"@lancearmstrong please for your sake, come clean. If not yours, for the millions you have inspired over the last 15+ years."

Anyone know what the US press are saying about him? I know the French hate him but have the US been as harsh?

It's hard to see how he can still keep quiet much longer!? He's had to step down as face of Livestrong, lost most of his sponsors, will be stripped of his achievements etc. There's about 20 something ex-team members willing to take lie-detector tests!

Geoff Thomas was inspired by Armstrong and the Livestrong charity and he tweeted..
"@lancearmstrong please for your sake, come clean. If not yours, for the millions you have inspired over the last 15+ years."

Anyone know what the US press are saying about him? I know the French hate him but have the US been as harsh?

I watch ESPN America every day, and based on the shows I watch, the journalists have all been hammering him! Have no idea of how reflective that is when it comes to the majority of Americans.

Many in the American press have defended Armstrong, so now they feel more betrayed, It's not just the US press, of course, as some of the British cycling journalists/commentators dismissed it too; Phil Liggett still does it seems.

The USADA report came as a shock to Armstrong's defenders, whereas to many, who have followed reporting by Walsh and Kimmage or listened to LeMond, the only surprise is the extent and how it was organised so systematically and how many people knew. I assumed they would have been more discreet.

In some ways it doesn't take away from his achievements. All the top cyclists were doping and he was the best of the doped. The USADA report mentioned that something like 20 of the 21 podium finishers in his seven wins were doped. Anyone know who the one who wasn't was?

Many in the American press have defended Armstrong, so now they feel more betrayed, It's not just the US press, of course, as some of the British cycling journalists/commentators dismissed it too; Phil Liggett still does it seems.

The USADA report came as a shock to Armstrong's defenders, whereas to many, who have followed reporting by Walsh and Kimmage or listened to LeMond, the only surprise is the extent and how it was organised so systematically and how many people knew. I assumed they would have been more discreet.

In some ways it doesn't take away from his achievements. All the top cyclists were doping and he was the best of the doped. The USADA report mentioned that something like 20 of the 21 podium finishers in his seven wins were doped. Anyone know who the one who wasn't was?

Fernando Escartín is the only guy of 7 riders that finished on the podium behind Armstrong that hasn't been implicated.

As for Armstrong, he bought the best doping program. He won. He paid his doctor a huge retainer so that he wouldn't work with anyone else. Its like having the best car in formula 1 whilst everyone else is years behind.

This explains the situation better than I ever could
http://inrng.com/2012/10/level-playing-field-doping-myth/

The news that this guy is a cheating clown shoe makes it clear why we should avoid looking up to 'popular' heroes. Appreciate you're mum or your dad, or the guy that put all those hours into coaching your under 15 football team, not ****s like Armstrong.

I don't disagree. The "in some ways it doesn't take away from his achievements" line was a throwaway one and covers a range of things. Clearly the extent of the just-do-it doping program means it wasn't a level playing field and that's not what I meant. Its more that the excitement from watching those tours hasn't gone away (Arsmstong v Ulrich, some of the mountain breakways by Armstrong and Pantini, etc). And I'm not left with the feeling that a deserving cyclist was robbed. Escartin seems perhaps the only one with a claim but he was never in contention to win so there isn't the emotion reaction that he was robbed. I felt bad when Contador beat Andy Schleck by the time he gained on the mechanical failure and I'd hoped that Schleck was clean, but that was foolish.

My biggest questions are when did Armstrong start doping and was testosterone/steroid use the cause of his cancer? If it was then his whole story is discredited.

The news that this guy is a cheating clown shoe makes it clear why we should avoid looking up to 'popular' heroes. Appreciate you're mum or your dad, or the guy that put all those hours into coaching your under 15 football team, not ****s like Armstrong.

Agreed. I always like Charles Barclay and his comment about not being a role model.

In some ways it doesn't take away from his achievements. ?
Mate just because everyone else was doing it, that doesn't mean that his achievements aren't incredibly tinted. In fact, they aren't really achievements at all - especially when he has lied his entire career to earn himself millions of dollars.

Last edited:
Sounds like Wiggo will support Froome in next years TDF!

1032:
CYCLING
Britain's Chris Froome has hinted he could be the leading rider in Team Sky's bid for the Tour de France next year. Froome had the support role as Bradley Wiggins became the first British winner of the tour in July and said of his plans for 2013: "I will only be able to seek one win and I have the Tour in mind.

"I think Bradley could be (the leader) on the Giro d'Italia and me on the Tour," he said.

Back