• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

No he will be fine (assuming he's physically ok) as it didn't go down as a concussion sub - our staff meant it to be, but filled out the wrong form:D....

Is that a new rule now? Heard the commentators talking about it, mandatory 7 day absence if you're subbed off with concussion.

Is that a new rule now? Heard the commentators talking about it, mandatory 7 day absence if you're subbed off with concussion.

I think the deal is that a concussion sub doesn't count towards the five you're allowed to make, but that means the player can't play for a week to avoid it being taken advantage of.

Cristian Romero interview: Ange Postecoglou is perfect for Tottenham, we are a family now

Tottenham's encouraging and, perhaps, unexpected win over Manchester United last weekend left many fans brimming with optimism about the potential of Ange Postecoglou's side — and the club's new vice-captain Cristian Romero is no different.

"I'm someone who thinks nothing is impossible, so if we keep up this level let's see [what we can achieve]," Romero told Standard Sport. "All I ask from people is to trust us.

"All the players are going to give everything, along with the staff, to take Tottenham as high as possible and try to win trophies. Things take time, but if we're together, I believe we can achieve great things."

Romero's optimism is down in large part to Postecoglou, who, just two matches into the job, has transformed the mood around the club.

The dark cloud cast by the loss of Harry Kane on the eve of the campaign has quickly lifted and, as Spurs head to Bournemouth for Saturday's lunchtime kick-off, fans are itching to see them in action again.

"He's a coach that works perfectly for Tottenham, he's brought a lot of new hope," Romero said. "It might take a while, but I think what he's doing is fantastic. He's putting together a great group and creating a really good atmosphere. It's only been two or three months, but all of the team are behind him. It's always positive to have a coach who wants to assume responsibility, and the club needed this new energy.

"It's not like someone new comes in and [suddenly] you're winning. It's a process. A process requires time and it's not easy to win trophies, but that's what the coach wants and that's what we want.

"I think if the club continues in this direction with this coach we're going to achieve great things."

Postecoglou is charged with not only returning Spurs to an attacking style of play, but leading a full cultural re-set at a club that appeared to have lost its very sense of self.

Kane and interim manager Ryan Mason both criticised slipping standards last season, while Romero is among the players who has admitted that there was a divide between the squad and former boss Antonio Conte.

"From day one, [Postecoglou] asked us to be a family," Romero added. "It's not just 25 players. I'm talking about the staff, the club, everyone from the president to the youngest player, we all have to go together in the same direction. It really is the only way we can achieve great things.

"Our fans were fantastic against Manchester United. We have to thank them, but I hope they can remain with us even if we hit a rocky patch."

Romero's faith in Postecoglou is clearly reciprocated and the World Cup winner was unexpectedly named as one of two deputies to new club captain Heung-min Son.

With James Maddison not expected to be fit for tomorrow, Romero will wear the armband for the first time if Son is substituted at Vitality Stadium.

"It was a beautiful surprise, I wasn't expecting it," said Romero. "I'm always grateful to have the trust of the club and the coach and I'm always trying to transmit my energy to my team-mates. It's a new role, I'm learning, but I have great examples [of leadership] from my [former] clubs and Argentina.

"You would have to ask the coach [what he has seen in me], but I always give 100 per cent. I have years left on my contract here and I'm very happy here."

At just 24, Romero is now one of the senior players in the Spurs dressing room, not least because there is such a fresh feel to Postecoglou's team. The rest of the back five against United had just 16 Premier League starts between them, with 13 of them belonging to January signing Pedro Porro. Destiny Udogie, bought last year but loaned out, Micky van de Ven and goalkeeper Vicario Guglielmo are all new additions.

Tellingly, Romero groups Yves Bissouma with the summer signings when discussing their impact, underlining the midfielder's transformation in the first two games of the campaign.

"I have been surprised by Destiny," Romero said, when asked about the new-look defence. "But not only him, Micky, [Manor] Solomon, Bissouma, Vicario — they've all brought new energy and we needed that."

Romero is also backing his Argentina team-mate Giovani Lo Celso to show Spurs fans his best this season, with the midfielder in contention for his first start in the Premier League since October 2021 against Bournemouth.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...interview-tottenham-postecoglou-b1102985.html

Cristian Romero interview: Ange Postecoglou is perfect for Tottenham, we are a family now

Romero's optimism is down in large part to Postecoglou, who, just two matches into the job, has transformed the mood around the club.

"He's a coach that works perfectly for Tottenham, he's brought a lot of new hope," Romero said. "It might take a while, but I think what he's doing is fantastic. He's putting together a great group and creating a really good atmosphere. It's only been two or three months, but all of the team are behind him. It's always positive to have a coach who wants to assume responsibility, and the club needed this new energy.

Kane and interim manager Ryan Mason both criticised slipping standards last season, while Romero is among the players who has admitted that there was a divide between the squad and former boss Antonio Conte.

"From day one, [Postecoglou] asked us to be a family," Romero added. "It's not just 25 players. I'm talking about the staff, the club, everyone from the president to the youngest player, we all have to go together in the same direction. It really is the only way we can achieve great things.

"Our fans were fantastic against Manchester United. We have to thank them, but I hope they can remain with us even if we hit a rocky patch."

"It was a beautiful surprise, I wasn't expecting it," said Romero. "I'm always grateful to have the trust of the club and the coach and I'm always trying to transmit my energy to my team-mates. It's a new role, I'm learning, but I have great examples [of leadership] from my [former] clubs and Argentina.

"You would have to ask the coach [what he has seen in me], but I always give 100 per cent. I have years left on my contract here and I'm very happy here."

At just 24, Romero is now one of the senior players in the Spurs dressing room, not least because there is such a fresh feel to Postecoglou's team. The rest of the back five against United had just 16 Premier League starts between them, with 13 of them belonging to January signing Pedro Porro. Destiny Udogie, bought last year but loaned out, Micky van de Ven and goalkeeper Vicario Guglielmo are all new additions.

Tellingly, Romero groups Yves Bissouma with the summer signings when discussing their impact, underlining the midfielder's transformation in the first two games of the campaign.

"I have been surprised by Destiny," Romero said, when asked about the new-look defence. "But not only him, Micky, [Manor] Solomon, Bissouma, Vicario — they've all brought new energy and we needed that."

Romero is also backing his Argentina team-mate Giovani Lo Celso to show Spurs fans his best this season, with the midfielder in contention for his first start in the Premier League since October 2021 against Bournemouth.

So much to unpack in that

- First, I do think giving Romero responsibility may be genius, he's got the talent, needs to focus it, as a leader in squad it may help him be more controlled chaos
- Second, I think if/any success comes under Ange, people will talk about play style/formation/etc. for me a lot of it will be just having the club & fans pull in the same direction and getting rid of the toxicity.

So much to unpack in that

- First, I do think giving Romero responsibility may be genius, he's got the talent, needs to focus it, as a leader in squad it may help him be more controlled chaos
- Second, I think if/any success comes under Ange, people will talk about play style/formation/etc. for me a lot of it will be just having the club & fans pull in the same direction and getting rid of the toxicity.

The second point is crucial for me, Spurs need to start being proud about being Spurs as a club and not have this complex about not being other clubs all the time, that only tends to pull down the walls IMO. Madison's comments and defence of the club when questioned about it and calling us a massive club backed up by Sons recent comments have been refreshing. If we can build and create out own identity again without trying to replicate someone else's and make people passionate about playing for the club I think we will be a better club for it and actually have a better chance of winning things.

This is the Romero we know is there
Bournemouth are not great but you still have to stop them.
Cuti and VDV haven’t conceded a goal together

As people tend to not readdress the balance I will ;)

Been excellent thus far, stuck his body on the line, took a massive hit again today. Looks back to the first season player we had.

Long shall it continue
He played very well today.
What was the massive hit? Was it when he threw himself into a needless challenge on the half way line, to deny some halfwit a header to a team mate?

Liked it when he did that back heel (clip?) in the corner right in front of our fans and they let out a loud, amused cheer as one. Nice to see everyone happy again.

Seems to be cutting out the rash challenges he was doing last season, more focus and he is looking a VERY GOOD PLAYER.

Absolutely this. I had some grave doubts about his rashness and ability to play in a 2. He looks a much different player to what he was under Nuno and Conte. He's keeping the best bits of his game and cutting out the destructive elements. As with Bissouma, the difference is so stark, you'd have to credit the manager assuming it continues.

Absolutely this. I had some grave doubts about his rashness and ability to play in a 2. He looks a much different player to what he was under Nuno and Conte. He's keeping the best bits of his game and cutting out the destructive elements. As with Bissouma, the difference is so stark, you'd have to credit the manager assuming it continues.

I honestly think the playing on the front foot helps. As someone who played at CB and RB, although limited to Isthmian North level, playing in sides that sit back you have a constant battle with a attacker who basically sits on your toes or is constantly running the lines if their team controls possession. The same is true of this, Romero is engaging in fewer battles as we have the ball more and relying more on his ability to move the ball and read the game when needed, which IMO he is very good.

Last edited:
Back