• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cracked ipad screen

jpp

Johnnie Jackson
Christmas has left me with a badly damaged screen for my mini ipad. Apple want iro £200 to replace which obviously is lala land. Are there any serious reasonable alternatives?

I've had an iphone screen repairer by a guy locally (Southampton) and he charged about £50. Not sure where you are but you could probably find something similar for an ipad. May not be official apple so I don't know about quality but my iphone screen was fine.

Alternatively I buy and sell stuff on avforums in their classified forums... I'd be tempted to see work out how much you could get if sold as broken. If it is say within £200 of a brand new ipad then actually that's not just better value than getting it repaired, you also get a brand new unit!

If you do get it repaired with apple be warned they may offer you a replacement instead . Whilst this might sound tempting the danger is that they actually give you a refurbished machine. Id not have a problem with this myself but it might be an issue for some.

I've replaced several laptop screens, two blackberry screens all perfectly successfully, using just youtube tips and some basic tools. I'd imagine though that anyone other than Apple replacing the screen will void the warranty.

Have you thought about taking it to your nearest Apple store? I don't know if your nearest one is reachable but I took my iphone to Regent Street store and they gave me a brand new phone (same model) for free. Not saying they will do that for you but it's worth a try. Some electrical stores may also fix it for cheaper, an electrical store in my town centre fixed my iphone screen for £50.

You will have to bake it in a oven (i kid you not) as Apple glue all there stuff together. Its tricky but doable and will talke some time as i said before Apple don't make there products friendly for repairs deliberately.

hair dryer works as well for melting the glue, i've done an iPad 2 screen, it was only about £30 on ebay iirc

it is a faff though, worth the extra to pay someone to do it for you i'd say

Back