• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Covid outbreak at Spurs

One upside of this is that some players who were looking tired, esp Kane will have had something approaching a mid-season break to re-charge their batteries

Just need to hope that none of our covid group have lingering effects

I think Kane looks under fit, not over fit. I hope Conte's using this break to send him on a mid-season pre-season boot camp.

I think we just need to abandon this league campaign with immediate effect (and relegate Saudi Sportswashing Machine and have Man U missing out on CL)

If it is mild, i think we just need to abandon the isolation and testing rules. If it's not. We'll it will all be over soon. We'll see where we are in feb.

Nigerian descent? Sorry I've missed this. What are you referring to?
A high proportion of the high profile cases seem to be of Nigerian (or at least west/central African) descent. Just it terms of whether there's something genetic going on that increases chance. There was quite a bit of talk on here about it after Ugo iirc

@braineclipse, brief explanation below. Asperating ensures the vaccine goes into the muscle and not a blood vessel. So could avoid this.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...blood-clots-may-have-been-discovered-12484255

I find no mention of asperating in that sky article or with a quick glance at what I think is the original study being discussed.

You claimed we now know asperating can avoid negative consequences. This seems to go against the consensus opinion on how to administer the vaccine. I must ask again for a source for your original statement.

I'm in no way a expert on this, but always intrigued when claims are being made that go against what I see as the scientific consensus. Mostly curious.

I find no mention of asperating in that sky article or with a quick glance at what I think is the original study being discussed.

You claimed we now know asperating can avoid negative consequences. This seems to go against the consensus opinion on how to administer the vaccine. I must ask again for a source for your original statement.

I'm in no way a expert on this, but always intrigued when claims are being made that go against what I see as the scientific consensus. Mostly curious.

If the the injection goes into the muscle it can't go into the blood stream. It's why we do it there in the first place. Some people though do have blood vessels there, very rare to get a needle into the blood vessel but can happen. It's why they used to asperate in the first place. We just stopped. Some other countries still do.

From the bmj

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/early/2021/10/06/postgradmedj-2021-141119

Last edited:
If the the injection goes into the muscle it can't go into the blood stream. It's why we do it there in the first place. Some people though do have blood vessels there, very rare to get a needle into the blood vessel but can happen. It's why they used to asperate in the first place. We just stopped. Some other countries still do.

From the bmj

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/early/2021/10/06/postgradmedj-2021-141119

This is a published letter in a scientific journal. As far as scientific evidence goes... Meh.

There's a discussion, there's disagreement among experts. This is not a strong scientific consensus opinion.

If it was in fact "known" to be better, that raises the question why did "we" (I assume the UK) stop doing it? Why the difference between countries? Why the numerous available explanations to the public about why asperating isn't done?

This is a published letter in a scientific journal. As far as scientific evidence goes... Meh.

There's a discussion, there's disagreement among experts. This is not a strong scientific consensus opinion.

If it was in fact "known" to be better, that raises the question why did "we" (I assume the UK) stop doing it? Why the difference between countries? Why the numerous available explanations to the public about why asperating isn't done?

Ok published research.

https://www.10news.com/news/in-dept...ique-stop-myocarditis-after-covid-vaccination

As for why they stopped i have no idea. Although that suggests because it takes longer and might be more painful.

Ok published research.

https://www.10news.com/news/in-dept...ique-stop-myocarditis-after-covid-vaccination

As for why they stopped i have no idea. Although that suggests because it takes longer and might be more painful.

Even that article is rather clear about the limitations of this study. Rather clear about not drawing strong conclusions, though some individual experts have stronger opinions than others.

Evaluating scientific evidence is a laborious task. I'm in no way in a position to do that work even if I had the specific knowledge within this relevant field, I don't.

There are people who do though, thus leading to more of a scientific consensus opinion. That consensus opinion should influence our opinions much more than an individual study on mice in a specific setting. Current guidelines tell us something about that consensus opinion.

Proper medical knowledge comes through Cochrane Reviews (which are a science in themselves), not individual trials. And even those are subjective and alter over time.

Even that article is rather clear about the limitations of this study. Rather clear about not drawing strong conclusions, though some individual experts have stronger opinions than others.

Evaluating scientific evidence is a laborious task. I'm in no way in a position to do that work even if I had the specific knowledge within this relevant field, I don't.

There are people who do though, thus leading to more of a scientific consensus opinion. That consensus opinion should influence our opinions much more than an individual study on mice in a specific setting. Current guidelines tell us something about that consensus opinion.

It's a 100,000 to 1 odds. How they meant to do a study? Have 200,000 people asperated and 200,000 people not. Then see if one group gets side effects and the other doesn't? The group that does may be a bit tinkled.

It's a 100,000 to 1 odds. How they meant to do a study? Have 200,000 people asperated and 200,000 people not. Then see if one group gets side effects and the other doesn't? The group that does may be a bit tinkled.

Some things are inherently very difficult to study. That doesn't make any conclusion more valid.

Given that not asperating is the standard in many countries that being the best choice seems a valid conclusion based on the available scientific evidence.

It isn't known, it's being argued. I think it's very important in a situation like this not to overstate what is known at any given point.

Proper medical knowledge comes through Cochrane Reviews (which are a science in themselves), not individual trials. And even those are subjective and alter over time.

Doesn't have to be Cochrane, though they are good at this sort of thing.

Reviews though, yes, definitely, and with the qualifiers you add for sure.

I was wondering what the hell you lot are talking about, so I Googled "asperated vaccination" and all I found was Jose Mourinho being ex-asperated when our game vs Fulham was postponed.

Turns out you mean aspirated I think, e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5333604/
"...aspiration is defined as the pulling back of the plunger of a syringe (for 5–10 seconds) prior to injecting medicine"

There are 10,000 words about it on the link above, should you care to read it. I don't!

I was wondering what the hell you lot are talking about, so I Googled "asperated vaccination" and all I found was Jose Mourinho being ex-asperated when our game vs Fulham was postponed.

Turns out you mean aspirated I think, e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5333604/
"...aspiration is defined as the pulling back of the plunger of a syringe (for 5–10 seconds) prior to injecting medicine"

There are 10,000 words about it on the link above, should you care to read it. I don't!

Not for 5-10 seconds. Just a slight pull out to see if it pulls any blood. If it does just inject in a different spot.

Back