• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Computer reformat help

Steed Train

Clive Wilson
The gf's computer imploded and refused to boot so I did a clean installation of windows vista. Its given me a fresh new OS (had to reinstall drivers e.t.c.) Was under the impression it was formatting the hard drive however its actually just moved her entire hard drive into another folder called "windows old"

Can I just delete this file with no ill effect or is it better to start again and do a complete reformat? When i attempted to delete it earlier it stated it contained system files, but I am not sure if these are just unused ones from the previous install

I have rebuilt my laptop twice in the last couple of weeks. It's extremely easy with Windows 7 if you can find a copy

- Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool (http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Service-Centre/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool)
- Plug in an external USB and run the tool to create a bootable copy of windows
- Reboot and makes sure your BIOS is using USB/DVD to boot
- Install Windows (you have option to format the entire disk)
- 20 minutes later you have a fresh copy of Windows

Southstand's suggestiionis spot on - also I'd reccommend format your HDD and start a fresh. And for the love of GHod - do not install Vista. Ever.

Last edited:
What's the point in reinstalling again if he's already done it. Just use clean-up to get rid of the old version.

He hasn't formatted though - simply moved all his data into a new forlder.

Reformat, clean the registry (from the vile Vista), de-fragment. Might as well do it proper.

He hasn't formatted though - simply moved all his data into a new forlder.

Reformat, clean the registry (from the vile Vista), de-fragment. Might as well do it proper.

If he uses disk cleanup it'll sort the registry et al out anyway no?

Don't think it does, tbh - simply deletes a few old folders for you - i.e. the ones you're not sure about. I don't trust those tools, mate. They remind me of simply taking our the little red bulb when your oil light comes on - issue still remains in the background.

Plus if he keeps old programs from the previous version - the registry would be left in-tact and would inevitable cause trouble in the future. Essentially that tool deletes folders - does not uninstall his programs.

My suggestion would be (if he has a Win 7 disk) - wipe clean and start from scratch. Especially if you'ev had Vista on your machine!

Don't think it does, tbh - simply deletes a few old folders for you - i.e. the ones you're not sure about. I don't trust those tools, mate. They remind me of simply taking our the little red bulb when your oil light comes on - issue still remains in the background.

Plus if he keeps old programs from the previous version - the registry would be left in-tact and would inevitable cause trouble in the future. Essentially that tool deletes folders - does not uninstall his programs.

My suggestion would be (if he has a Win 7 disk) - wipe clean and start from scratch. Especially if you'ev had Vista on your machine!

Well I used it when I upgraded from Vista to 7 and it went like a dream mate. The only pain in the arse was Sony not providing drivers for 7 64 directly and having to search high and low to get everything working again. Been running 7 for a long time now and not a problem as far as the OS or registry is concerned.

Back