• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Computer Issue

tbarnett14

Alton Thelwell
Team. Please help!

Two weeks ago, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10.

One week ago the wireless adapter (usb) stopped working, so I turned off the machine and took it out. The PC then wouldn't turn on.

The hdd light comes on and I hear the PC fan come to life, but there is nothing on screen. The monitor stays in idle mode and doesn't even detect a connection.

I turned it off overnight, in case it was having a 'moment'. The next morning I turn it on, the hdd light comes on for a second, then the machine turns itself off, waits a second, then turns itself back on again.

I took the hdd drive out and even without it, the PC won't boot to bios, there's nothing.

Interestingly, I bought a caddy for my hdd, plugged it into my mums XP machine and it wasn't detected, but I'm running a recovery program on that, just in case.

So, that's my issue. The machine is only two and a half years old, so surely, it shouldn't die like this?!

The specs are :

Compaq CQ2990EA
Intel Core i3 3220 processor
Ipx5b DM motherboard
6gb ram
2tb hdd drive
(integrated graphics and soundcard)

Thanks for any help you can give!

No beeps from boot?

If you don't get to at least bios on screen, the HD is irrelevant, you haven't even got to that point in boot sequence.
If you get no video output and no beeps, not a good sign

You are saying the PC goes on, is that power supply only? or does the CPU fan come on? (open side of case) and does it stay off or are you saying its just continuously cycling?

Reset BIOS first n foremost, if that does not bring some life back to the system then it may be corrupt - in which case, do you have a dual-boot bios on the mobo ?

Blind, missed the Compac part - no dual bios.

2.5 years should be fine for the cmos battery tbh

Last edited:
Back