• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Classic Signings - Robbie Keane

Surfless

Luke Young
Staff member

Tottenham agree £7m Keane deal​

This article is more than 21 years old
Jon Brodkin
Sat 31 Aug 2002 21.51 BST

Robbie Keane is poised to move from Leeds to Tottenham after the clubs settled on a £7m fee yesterday. The agreement was the pick of activity on the final full day of transfers before the window closes this afternoon.
Keane was last night discussing personal terms, with Spurs believed to be offering around £25,000 a week. Assuming the move goes through, the 22-year-old will end Glenn Hoddle's protracted search for a striker.

Keane's desire to leave Elland Road follows his frustration at failing to earn a starting place under Terry Venables. Leeds agreed to sell the Irishman for £6m less than he cost them from Internazionale and £2m less than Sunderland were willing to spend on the player, who turned down a move to the Stadium of Light.
Hoddle was desperate for the deal to go through after spending weeks pursuing a forward. He had a faxed offer for Fernando Morientes rejected by Real Madrid this week and Bolton's manager Sam Allardyce claimed yesterday that Spurs had made a "laughable" offer for Michael Ricketts on Thursday night.
Hoddle was quoted a month ago as saying he was not interested in Keane, explaining: "I have a list of players I want and Keane is not on it." But the former England coach has apparently changed his mind.
Keane scored for Leeds against Emirates Marketing Project on the opening day of the season after coming on as a substitute and Venables yesterday expressed regret at his request to leave with Robbie Fowler three to four weeks from returning after hip surgery.
"[Keane] pressed home that he was frustrated after the first two games that he didn't start," Venables said, "but I am disappointed, there's no doubt about that. He is a good goalscorer, very lively, and had a good World Cup. I didn't want to lose him because of that."
While Spurs were trying to finalise the Keane move they offloaded Oyvind Leonhardsen to Aston Villa on a free transfer. The midfielder has signed a one-year contract with the option of a further 12 months.

1706022195308.png

Robbie Keane joins Spurs
Robbie Keane

Keane completes Spurs switch
Tottenham boss Glenn Hoddle has successfully ended his search for a striker after completing the signing of Leeds United's Robbie Keane.
The Republic of Ireland international has signed an initial four-year contract with an option for a further two taking the deal up to £7m.
Hoddle had been trying to sign a striker before Saturday's transfer window closed and, after been linked with a host of names his summer, the Spurs manager finally got his man.
Keane had vowed to fight for his first-team place under new Leeds boss Terry Venables during the club's pre-season tour of China.

Bolton seal Campo deal
But the forward had a change of heart when he found himself on the substitutes' bench for Leeds' first two games - and after talking with Hoddle about his plans for the club.
"I know I said I didn't really want to leave Leeds but when I came here to talk to Glenn his long-term plans appealed to me and that is why I am now a Tottenham player," said Keane.
"Glenn wants to take the club a long way and hopefully I can help.
"It was frustrating at Leeds. You want to play football and it would have been nice to play for them.
"But it was not to be and I am looking forward to playing for Spurs instead.
"This is a big club and Glenn has great ambitions.
"I am a striker so hopefully I can bring goals to the club, although I also believe I can make goals."
Keane was paraded to the Spurs fans before the start of Saturday's Premiership home game with Southampton although he is not eligible to play.
The signing will increase competition for places up front, where he will be challenging Teddy Sheringham, Les Ferdinand, Steffen Iversen and Sergei Rebrov for a place in the team.
Keane had a good World Cup this summer, scoring important goals for Ireland against Germany and Spain.

having watched him in Italy for Inter, I remember being amazed when we sign Keane - it was a real sign of the pulling power of Glenn Hoddle or so I thought at the time!

Love the guy, i remember excatly where i was when i got that news he has signed ( Harley rally in Yorkshire), we were having a few beers in the bar when it came on the TV, i was jumping about throwing beer everwhere :D.

yeah he weas a real hero player when I was younger - the celebration, the way he played, he was a real inspiration.

Loved his cheeky goal v Wolves (?) hanging back behind the keeper waiting for the roll out

Absolutely loved him. My favourite ever player for a long long time.

So many great goals, such a quick thinker, him and Berbatov had it off for a year.

The goal that sticks in my mind, I think was against Middlesbrough, he managed to score a perfect legal goal with his arm.

Nice that we were his boyhood club too.

Both a great goal scorer, and a scorer of great goals.

I’ve just found out he’s now head coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Both a great goal scorer, and a scorer of great goals.

I’ve just found out he’s now head coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv.
Yeah he’s getting a lot of stick for it over here from a few politicians.

He’s not really very popular in Ireland considering what a great player he was and the mind boggling number of goals he scored for his country. Personally, and not just because of the Spurs connection, I always liked Robbie and thought he was a very very good player.

Bizarre he isn’t held in the same regard over here as the likes of Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Liam Brady and others.

Yeah he’s getting a lot of stick for it over here from a few politicians.

He’s not really very popular in Ireland considering what a great player he was and the mind boggling number of goals he scored for his country. Personally, and not just because of the Spurs connection, I always liked Robbie and thought he was a very very good player.

Bizarre he isn’t held in the same regard over here as the likes of Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Liam Brady and others.

I think that is bizarre, of the four, surely it's just a toss up between the two Keane's for who was the best player in the shirt.

More caps than anyone else, three times as many goals as anyone else, should have a statue outside Supermacs.

I was only young, playing football outside on the hill just outside of my house, went back to get a drink through the window and the news was on teletext if i remember correctly, was very excited

I think it vs Birmingham and their reserve keeper

He tried it a few times afterwards

He was also the key when we rattled Arsenal by stepping on Lehman’s toes
Think he tried it against Shay Given, but he was wise to it and laughed.

I was in the South Lower when he scored that cracker against Blackburn. Memories!

Instinct striker, one of the best ever at hitting the ball on the volley (and receiving the pass over the shoulder)

Brilliant partnership with Berbatov and still the only person who regularly made sulky smile.

I was in the South Lower when he scored that cracker against Blackburn. Memories!

i

I remember the complaints that it was a foul throw FFS

The Blackburn goal's already been mentioned - bonus points for humiliating Robbie Savage - but I also cherish the memory of his equaliser against Chelsea in the 4-4 game

The Blackburn goal's already been mentioned - bonus points for humiliating Robbie Savage - but I also cherish the memory of his equaliser against Chelsea in the 4-4 game

What a game that was, and we should have fudging won it when Berbatov missed what I still think was a sitter at the death.

He scored some bloody lovely goals, one that sticks in my mind was the winner against Charlton when we done them 3-2 after going 2-0 down and Darren Bent giving it the biggun to the fans, was at that game and still remember the limbs in the away end when he banged home the winner.

I loved Robbie Keane, his move to Liverpool really hit hard at the time, still don't think we should have taken him back either.

That was typical keane
We met John Motson after that game as I was in a lounge and he said it was one the best game and goal he had ever seen

Back