• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Classic Signings - Rafael Van Der Vaart

Surfless

Luke Young
Staff member

Spurs sign Van der Vaart​

Thursday 2 September 2010 08:25, UK

Rafael-van-der-Vaart-Real-Madrid_2497129.jpg

Image:Van der Vaart: Deal complete

Tottenham have confirmed that an agreement is in place to bring in Holland international Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid.

Deal ratified by Premier League​

Tottenham have confirmed that an agreement is in place to bring Holland international Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid to White Hart Lane. Spurs only emerged as contenders to sign the midfielder a few hours before Tuesday's transfer deadline and it was initially unclear whether they had been able to conclude a deal in time. It was understood that Tottenham had missed the cut-off point to finalise the paperwork and requested special dispensation from the Premier League to sign Van der Vaart. A statement has now been released on the club's official websiteto clear up the confusion and announce that the move has been approved. And the Premier League said in a statement: "The Premier League can confirm the transfer of Rafael van der Vaart's registration from Real Madrid to Tottenham Hotspur." Van der Vaart, who has scored 16 goals in 83 appearances for Holland, is thought to have joined for a fee of around £8million.

No Bayern bid​

Madrid earlier denied Harry Redknapp's assertion that the player was subject of an £18million bid from Bayern Munich, whilst confirming they had met the deadline for Van der Vaart's sale. Sporting director Miguel Pardeza told his club's official website: "Real Madrid met all the deadlines regarding the transfer of Van der Vaart. "It's now up to the Premier League to accept the signing so that we can make it official. "It is absolutely false that Real Madrid received a 21million euro offer from Bayern Munich for Van der Vaart. "In fact, the German team never showed an interest to sign the player, so the allegations made in England have greatly surprised us."

-----------------------

Spurs sign van der Vaart​

BYTNT SPORTS
UPDATED 02/09/2010 AT 09:02 GMT+1

Tottenham have completed the signing of the Netherlands midfielder Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid.​

picture
picture

FOOTBALL Real Madrid midfielder Rafael Van der Vaart
Image credit: AFP

The Premier League have officially ratified the deal after their investigation into whether the full details of the transfer were made before the deadline.
Technical problems on the London club's computer servers prevented the £8 million transfer going through before the 6pm deadline on August 31, but Spurs have now secured the signature of the 27-year-old midfielder.

The Premier League said in a statement: "The Premier League can confirm the transfer of Rafael van der Vaart's registration from Real Madrid to Tottenham Hotspur."

Tottenham announced: "We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Real Madrid for the transfer of Rafael van der Vaart."

The Netherlands international came through the ranks at Ajax and won two league titles during 141 appearances with the Eredivisie side, scoring 60 goals before leaving for Hamburg in the summer of 2005.
Van der Vaart has been capped by Holland a total of 83 times, scoring 16 goals, since making his international debut against Andorra in 2001 at the age of 18.
The midfielder is quoted in the Dutch media as saying: "The interest from Tottenham came very quick and I did not have much time to think.
"But I want to play football again and if possible every week, with a beautiful club. I'm totally happy.

"I am excited about playing in England. Whether it suits my style remains to be seen, but I think a good footballer can adapt and I am very proud of this transfer."
He added: "It's a pity I cannot now play against Ajax in the Champions League but I will get to face FC Twente."
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp revealed he was alerted to Van der Vaart's availability just two hours before the window closed by chairman Daniel Levy.

---------------

UEFA.com

Tottenham Hotspur FC have completed the signing of Netherlands midfielder Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid CF as they prepare to make their group-stage debut.

Van der Vaart joins Tottenham from Madrid

Van der Vaart joins Tottenham from Madrid©UEFA.com

Rafael van der Vaart has completed his move to Tottenham Hotspur FC from Real Madrid CF.
The London club moved for the Netherlands playmaker just before the transfer deadline on Tuesday and the Premier League have now ratified the €11m move, with the 27-year-old revealing he has penned a four-year deal.
"Four years at Spurs, for €11m, I can hardly believe it myself," he said. "The interest from Tottenham came very quickly and I did not have much time to think. But I want to play football again and if possible every week, with a beautiful club. I'm totally happy. I am excited about playing in England. Whether it suits my style remains to be seen, but I think a good footballer can adapt and I am very proud of this transfer."
AFC Ajax product Van der Vaart joined Madrid from Hamburger SV in 2008 and has also been capped 83 times by the Netherlands, helping them to this year's FIFA World Cup final. He is joined at Tottenham by goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa, loaned on Tuesday by FC Spartak Moskva, as his new club prepare to begin their first UEFA Champions League campaign against holders FC Internazionale Milano, SV Werden Bremen and FC Twente.

---------------------

Tottenham clinch £8m Rafael van der Vaart deal​

Van der Vaart fails to stop Iniesta's World Cup-winning goal
Tottenham have secured the signing of Real Madrid midfielder Rafael Van der Vaart for £8m.
Spurs moved to sign the 27-year-old Netherlands international two hours before the transfer window closed at 1800 BST on Tuesday.
But the club's urgency to file the necessary paperwork before the deadline was hampered by a technical problem.
However, the Premier League sanctioned the signing after investigating Tottenham's claims on Wednesday.
Spurs faced an anxious wait as the Premier League assessed their claims with the 1700 BST cut-off point on Wednesday fast approaching for clubs to submit their 25-man senior squads for the first half of the season.
Van der Vaart becomes Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp's second deadline-day signing following the capture of Croatia goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa on a season-long loan from Russian club Spartak Moscow.
Real had disputed Redknapp's claims that Bayern Munich had earlier made an offer of more than double their bid for Van der Vaart.

Redknapp said on Tuesday: "It was a last-minute job. I think he was going to Bayern Munich on Monday for £18m and suddenly he became much cheaper.
"They let me know around 4pm (1600 BST) that he was available for £8m and, for that money, he is a top player who will definitely improve us. The fee has come crashing down because the deadline is so close."
However, Real's statement said: "It is absolutely false that Real Madrid received a 21m euro (£18m) offer from Bayern Munich for Van der Vaart.
"In fact, the German team never showed an interest to sign the player, so the allegations made in England have greatly surprised us."
Van der Vaart helped his country reach the final of the 2010 World Cup and made his reputation as a playmaker at Ajax before switching to German side Hamburg.

Fifa man feels force of Van der Vaart strike in 2010 World Cup
He spent three seasons at the Bundesliga club before moving to Real Madrid in August 2008 where he appears to have become surplus to requirements as their new manager Jose Mourinho stamps his authority on the club.
With 83 international caps for the Netherlands, 16 goals, including two European Championships and World Cups, Van der Vaart will give Tottenham experience and creativity to Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp's attack in the Champions League as well as domestically.
Redknapp also confirmed he had made an enquiry about Liverpool winger Ryan Babel but "never came close" to landing him.

to this day one of the most exciting last minute signings we made - a true super star who raised our profile and performances. Shame he didn't stay longer.....

His record for us was exceptional: 28 goals in 78 appearances from midfield.

Last edited:
to this day one of the most exciting January signings we made - a true super star who raised our profile and performances. Shame he didn't stay longer.....

He signed in September...

But yes, he should have stayed longer. He's frequently said that he made an emotional impulsive decision to leave us and regrets it.
I loved watching him play.

He seemed to have the confidence to score in big games, loved his goals against the arse. Quality through and through.

Not enough of our players really "get" the NLD. He did and he loved it. Always stepped up and rarely didn't produce. Maybe it's just me but when I think of VDV I just picture him picking up the ball and running behind the goal in front of the Arsenal fans. Finger on lips. Not long enough at the club to be classed as a legend. But certainly a cult hero

Not enough of our players really "get" the NLD. He did and he loved it. Always stepped up and rarely didn't produce. Maybe it's just me but when I think of VDV I just picture him picking up the ball and running behind the goal in front of the Arsenal fans. Finger on lips. Not long enough at the club to be classed as a legend. But certainly a cult hero
Unfuxkingbelievable that he got booked for that!

to this day one of the most exciting last minute signings we made - a true super star who raised our profile and performances. Shame he didn't stay longer.....

He really was exceptional for us, but "from midfield" is a bit of a stretch, he was hardly box to box or DM, more sniffing around Crouch for knockdowns

Fergie once got asked whether VDV or Walcott
Be said VDV every day
He scorers important goals … the first goal or a winner
He was right

He was such an exciting signing by us - but even better than I had expected him to be.

He really took matches by the scruff of his neck. Even scoring a disproportionate amount of headers given his very average height.

And he so understood what a NLD meant. Perhaps better than anyone since. I'd even go so far to say it meant more to him than it di Hary Kane.

That passion was so infectious.

Ever since Rafa has said his best years were spent at Spurs and playing at the Lane sent goosebumps down his spine.

Was so good to see him be so public with his support ahead of the Champions League final. Pretty sure he was at fan zones supporting us.

Such a shame he didn't play for us longer.

You can thank Andre Villas-Boas for that wisdom.

Back