• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

CL Qualification vs Cups - The Neverending Story

Its about glory.Winning cups is glory finishing 3-4th less so.Win 4 home games draw the 4 away and we are in the Europa final.

I want to win trophies, but players are more concerned with playing in the CL. I don't think it's impossible to find the balance, WE just haven't found it yet. I would personally go all out for the FA and League Cups as they are the easiest/quickest to win. The Europa is designed to keep teams in it like us and not progress due to the number of games so I would rest players should we fall into the purgatory league until the last 8.

The story will end once we have moved in to the new stadium.

Until then unfortunately the route that brings in the most money is favoured. (stadiums cost a lot, we want others to pay for it, but hey we might have to find a few bob ourselves)

We also need the money to keep the squad competitve.

Once we're in, other revenue s.treams switch on and within 2/3 seasons (with a bit of luck as well) we'll be firing as a big club........with no reason we can not compete on all fronts.

Man utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea all get to fa cup/lge cup finals pretty reguarly.....so they are not disregarding it, it is just that they have the resources to do it. Hopefully that is where we are heading.

It's a process, a process hardly any teams have managed without doping, just hold tight and stick with it.

Last edited:
Aha! You see, in a way you have unwittingly put your finger on my very point. Many fans have indeed lost interest in the competition until it comes to the final, when their willingness to kid themselves that this is after all a prize worth winning only serves to betray the underlying truth that if they really believed this they'd have attended in much greater numbers in the earlier rounds.

However I will concede that our relatively healthy domestic cup attendances would suggest this applies less to Tottenham fans than to most, thanks mainly to our special history in cup competitions.

To be honest mate i do not give a flying fig what fans of other clubs think or do, sport is about winning things and unless you go in for that there is no reason to take part or even support it if we do not believe that. Spurs are the team i support and we USE to win trophys but in todays game it seems finishing among the losers ( top four) seems to be the aim. IMO it stinks.

To be honest mate i do not give a flying fig what fans of other clubs think or do, sport is about winning things and unless you go in for that there is no reason to take part or even support it if we do not believe that. Spurs are the team i support and we USE to win trophys but in todays game it seems finishing among the losers ( top four) seems to be the aim. IMO it stinks.
So you'd be just as happy if we won a trophy in an egg and spoon race?;)

We could win the Carling cup, or whatever it's called, every year. Would it progress the club in any way? No. All it does give the club some fake silver to put in a cabinet. Nothing more. It would not make us a more attractive club for players, it won't give the club more money. However, qualifying for the CL league several times in a row, will give us all of that. Plus it enables the club to have a strong enough squad to enable us to field a strong enough team in the cups as well, and the chance of winning a cup increases. Win win

I do not see the point of entering any sport /race unless you strive to win. I guess i am old school( and i like showing my trophys to the grandkids :D)
Well I hope for your sake they never find out just how much of a tupp'ny hap'ny trophy it had become. Winning by pitting your reserves against the other lot's reserves just does'n't quite do it for me somehow.

I do not see the point of entering any sport /race unless you strive to win. I guess i am old school( and i like showing my trophys to the grandkids :D)

I understand your point of view, but can't believe it's shared by the majority of supporters who attend matches or play the game. I desperately want to see us win a trophy more than qualify for european football (which has been devalued by the number of teams in the competitions), but I don't turn up each home game expecting us to win nor did I ever only play the game to win. I got far more out of playing than bits of metal up in my loft, I got great memories of wins and defeats and made many friends who I still see 30 years after we stopped playing. I loved the game, win, lose or draw. I only support Spurs because my Dad did and I've inflicted the curse on my off spring and their broods. When the majority only want winners we'll have a 4 team league and no park football.

I understand your point of view, but can't believe it's shared by the majority of supporters who attend matches or play the game. I desperately want to see us win a trophy more than qualify for european football (which has been devalued by the number of teams in the competitions), but I don't turn up each home game expecting us to win nor did I ever only play the game to win. I got far more out of playing than bits of metal up in my loft, I got great memories of wins and defeats and made many friends who I still see 30 years after we stopped playing. I loved the game, win, lose or draw. I only support Spurs because my Dad did and I've inflicted the curse on my off spring and their broods. When the majority only want winners we'll have a 4 team league and no park football.

You've just made @galeforce change his boxers..

I am not saying i expect to win every game, but i would never go into a game not caring if i did or not. Its the same with my support, we are not going to win the Prem ( at least not for a few years anyway) and it will take us longer to be good/strong enough to win the CL. However we ARE good enough to win a cup and yet we turn our noses up ( at least some fans do).

The argument for the cups would be that developing and upwardly mobile clubs (as I now consider us to be) winning one of them (more so the FA Cup) will breed a winning mentality. There are several examples of clubs who have won a Cup Competition having had barren trophy cabinets to go on to win the league.

Liverpool winning the FA Cup in 1965 set the ball rolling for a dominant period in the league
Everton won the FA Cup in 1984 and then won the league in '85 and '87 (and ECWC in '85)
Woolwich won the League Cup in 1987 (then a big deal) before winning the league in 1989 and 1991
Man Utd won their first trophy under Fergie in 1990 (FA Cup) before dominating the league scene
Chelsea won the FA Cup in 97 and 2000 before going on to win the league cup under Jose in 2005 and then back to back league titles
Emirates Marketing Project won their first trophy in 34 years in 2011 (FA Cup) before the league in 2012 and 2014

I know there's far more to these successes but I really believe that if we were to win a cup as part of our upwards trajectory under Poch it would only be a good thing for mentality.

Where in our honours list does it say 'Finished 4th'?

After our collapse at Stamford Bridge (4-0) during Sherwood's short spell in charge I finally turned my back on the obsession with UCL football and started preaching the need to focus on trophies. Even before this I always argued that if it wasn't for the back-to-back cup finals in 2008 and 2009, we would never have finished 4th in 2010.

I have felt that the only way we can turn the tide against the 'weak mentally' is to start winning trophies. The idea that just being in the UCL is enough is as rediculous as the idea of having an economy that relies on our housing market to double every other year, it really is a footballing version of a coked up Stock trader talking about '100 years of blues skies'.

Sadly modern football is essentially in a period of pure decadence and monopolies.

I'm slightly concerned about the expectations some fans have wrt to the stadium and the effect it will have on us. I don't mean this in at all a patronising or a derogatory way but I've seen quite a few posts about how the stadium will allow us to compete with the big boys in the league financially. I don't think this will happen in quite the same way people assume it will.

Firstly, Man Utd are a behemoth and we will not compete with them financially regardless.

Secondly, while we'll increase gate income, the big disparities are from sponsorship deals and commercial revenue, where we lag significantly behind the others. That's going to take years of success unfortunately to get anywhere near that.

Unfortunately, I think those within the club probably see qualifying for the CL as more important and I don't necessarily blame them, its probably more important for the long term wellbeing of the club. Still, I think winning begets winning and if we were to win a trophy as a group, that can help propel this group of players forward who (controversial opinion incoming) haven't really stepped up to the plate in any of the big games they've played.

if we sustain top 4 for the next 10 years.
i am willing to wager along the way we will win a cup.
how? by attracting better players and gradually building up our bench strength.
it will take a pretty good manager to manage all that talent though, something that poch has to learn to do well.

Back