• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circus ManUnitus - Erik's At The Wheel

All managers make mistakes and errors in judgement. Of course even Ferguson couldn't be right about everything. However, being able to create winning teams, handling players and winning trophies throughout, given how much the game and the football industry changed in his time is nothing short of extraordinary.

Since the club did nothing but appoint a new manager when he left, they were bound to end up in trouble. Unfortunately, it seems they are thinking about restructuring their club model towards a more modern setup. But they are still a few steps away from being anywhere near the powerhouse they once were, and probably never will be again. Remember, it took them 26 years to win their next championship post Busby, we'll see how long it takes this time around.

Changing the culture at a club is extremely difficult (we saw that with when Levy initially started), even more so when the club with built around a personality.

United might be trying to change things, but the Solskjaer appointment is proof they really haven't thought it out (if he hadn't played for them, his name wouldn't be on a top 500 list), the he's only caretaker, then a day later, well he could be in running for job, etc. shows they fired Jose and they still have to figure out plan B.

Funny how they are the biggest club in the world, but they can't actually seem to get the biggest managerial names in the world (Moyes, has been LVG, Jose after his disaster time, now a young an upcoming Spurs manager?)

I could see logic in all of those appointments, Moyes wasn’t given long enough imo, LvG had the experience and the arrogance needed for United.

Jose, I guess they thought they’d made a mistake passing on him after Sir Alex and wanted to right that.

With their resources, if they make the right appointment and give them enough power, they will be straight back up there.

Apparently this was the first time Manure scored five goals in one game since Ferguson. Don't know if it was PL only, but still a mad stat.

And despite his reputation as the last of the old school authoritarian managers he was able to reinvent himself and adapt over a quarter of a century. Neither Wenger nor Mourinho could do this, despite their reputations as modern managers.

Directly after the final whistle yesterday, Sky commentators mentioned Poch and Man U on four separate occasions in a short space of time. Can’t even let us savour the win.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I’d suggest it was Sir Alex who transformed an at best, middling Man U side. Not the other way around.

That's incredible arrogance isn't it? fudge sake, United hadn't won the league for 20 years when he was appointed, had been relegated just over a decade earlier and had burned through several managers since Busby. It's an insult to Alex Ferguson to suggest he wouldn't have been as great if it wasn't for United.

I've never really minded Man U before but the arrogance that seems to be coming out of their supporters over the last week is really starting to tinkle me right off.

I could see logic in all of those appointments, Moyes wasn’t given long enough imo, LvG had the experience and the arrogance needed for United.

Jose, I guess they thought they’d made a mistake passing on him after Sir Alex and wanted to right that.

With their resources, if they make the right appointment and give them enough power, they will be straight back up there.

Moyes was never the right choice. He wasnt even that good at Everton by the time he got the Utd gig. Out of his depth and never good enough.

The other two should have done better than they did, because you are right - the resources are there.

Moyes was never the right choice. He wasnt even that good at Everton by the time he got the Utd gig. Out of his depth and never good enough.

The other two should have done better than they did, because you are right - the resources are there.

Agree on Moyes. He was sort of flavour of the month at the time because he'd done so well with Everton but they were limited. For me, the fact they had won 1 away game in 50 (or something like that) against the big 4 at the time under Moyes told a story about his limited brand of football. It had me scratching my head last season when some Arsenal fans were looking for Sean Dyche to replace Wenger. Moyes and Dyche are good managers, don't get me wrong, but they are upper mid-table managers at best. Eddie Howe, on the other hand, I believe has the potential to be more if he can learn to organise a defence.

My thing with Carragher et al, is that one minute they say they mean no disrespect to Spurs and then essentially say "know your place". It's as if they believe that we aren't allowed to have good players etc nor to have ideas above our station. They want to keep the footballing heirarchy that they have known and not let pretenders like ourselves get in the way. We can dream, but don't dare try for it.

They are happy to talk up the team, but not the club if that makes sense. They want to keep the two as seperate entities with the team being a group of truly gifted players under a great manager and the club being a historically middling football club. I think this is perhaps where they don't see the hypocrisy in what they say.

I think the thing is - THEY think they are being reasonable and balanced. I dont believe they see they are pushing the agenda. Its just so deeply ingrained they cant even see it. Sky have years and years of just pushing the whole top 4 nonsense, people arent even aware its drummed into them.

My thing with Carragher et al, is that one minute they say they mean no disrespect to Spurs and then essentially say "know your place". It's as if they believe that we aren't allowed to have good players etc nor to have ideas above our station. They want to keep the footballing heirarchy that they have known and not let pretenders like ourselves get in the way. We can dream, but don't dare try for it.

They are happy to talk up the team, but not the club if that makes sense. They want to keep the two as seperate entities with the team being a group of truly gifted players under a great manager and the club being a historically middling football club. I think this is perhaps where they don't see the hypocrisy in what they say.

On Carragher specifically, I don't expect much more from him to be honest. He was very disparaging of us on MNF a few weeks ago because he believes we are limited and haven't backed Poch so if he wants to win things, he has to leave. In Carragher's world, there is no more to be discussed than that.

I find him to be a pretty good pundit when he's talking about actual football and he does entertain me. But he strikes me as someone who only knows football and very little else and almost has an "every man" approach to his analysis. When Neville was trying to point out the bigger picture to him on MNF, it was like he couldn't comprehend the point. It's fine disagreeing but he actually couldn't understand what Neville was saying.

If Poch stays, it's because he sees beyond the current restrictions at the club and can see a real long term future and plan. I don't think Carragher can really see that and that's why he can't see anyone wanting to stay at Spurs if a Man U come calling. It says more about his limited outlook on life than our club to be honest.

Post of the year!

Back