• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Like I say, he did well. And like you say - he went and occupied a space we werent utilising. That in itself was a big factor, aside from who was actually in that space.

Was at the game, when he came on he was standing where Eriksen always stands, before he came on players were looking up and the space about 40yrs out was unoccupied

There is an argument that somebody else "could" of been there, but nobody was, also i think the players are programmed to look up and pass to Eriksen central 40yrs out
It was helped that we were playing far more forward, but we went from random players having the ball, to eriksen dictating play

Partially because those players were in unfamiliar positions themselves.

Contract with a release clause will be as good a deal as we could hope for I suppose - does leave us in a bit of a tricky place with regards to future planning but preferable to losing him before the window closes or on a free at the end of the season

Yeah, and are there really that many teams he'd want to join that would want him? You would have thought they'd be in for him already.

At the risk of getting painted as some sort of hater, I think his contribution Saturday is greatly over stated.

I think the change is shape and dynamic alone was as influential as the player coming on.

Eriksen looked up for it and played some nice balls, but its not like he won the game single handed - yet that seems to be the common view coming across on here.
I disagree. I was at the game Saturday and prior to Eriksen coming on it looked like the score would be 1-0 to Villa unless we snatched a late lucky goal. We had a little spell in the first 5 minutes of the second half and then reverted to type. As soon as Eriksen came on it looked like we would win the game. Hopefully he'll be starting at the weekend instead of the ineffective Lamela.

Contract with a release clause will be as good a deal as we could hope for I suppose - does leave us in a bit of a tricky place with regards to future planning but preferable to losing him before the window closes or on a free at the end of the season
I leaves us in the same position as most Spanish clubs I guess.
I know release clauses are not legally binding, but I'm surprised they are not more prevalent in the game here

I disagree. I was at the game Saturday and prior to Eriksen coming on it looked like the score would be 1-0 to Villa unless we snatched a late lucky goal. We had a little spell in the first 5 minutes of the second half and then reverted to type. As soon as Eriksen came on it looked like we would win the game. Hopefully he'll be starting at the weekend instead of the ineffective Lamela.

And the point is, the change was as positive a factor as the player.

Potentially any change could have won us the game.

And while Eriksen did well, I didn't get the same impression as others that he won is the game.

Him coming on moved Sissoko deeper, everyone else further up, two things that made a big difference.

He the contributed in moving the ball positively.

I would use an analogy for Saturday as follows,
The conductor of an orchestra asks his musicians to swop instruments, they precede to play a tune, just not very well.
Eventually the conductor tells the musicians to swop back to their own instruments, he also replace a cellist with a violinist.
Immediately everything sounds better, is that soley because of violinist? No, not entirely, it's because the musicians all know their instruments and what they need to do get the best out them.

Exactly, and there's no guarantee that those clubs which would be named in the contract will ever come in for him. Plus I'd imagine we'd insert similar wording as in the Toby contract that the price had to be met 2 weeks before the end of the window which would give us time to react to losing him too.

Worst case scenario after him signing the contract is that he leaves next summer. We'll have another 12 months to plan who to bring in as a successor

If we can get him to sign a deal along these lines then, as well as obviously giving us a stronger squad for the season, it would be a massive morale boost and statement of intent

A new contract with a European super club buyout clause will also negate the prospect of him going domestically for free.

If these clubs aren't coming in for hi with a year left on his deal when he's likely available for 50/60mill theres not a chance in hell they're gonna pay a buyout clause unless that is at a similar price to toys of 25mill

If these clubs aren't coming in for hi with a year left on his deal when he's likely available for 50/60mill theres not a chance in hell they're gonna pay a buyout clause unless that is at a similar price to toys of 25mill

Well they know that his contract is running down and thats why they are probably waiting, if he had 3 years left and said he wanted a change we would probably have more interest in him.

It flush out move, sign him now for cheap or next season for an inflated fee.
If no one comes in this season hopefully he realises that here is the best place for him.

That’s some expensive toys! Harrods?

Not a massive fan of giving him the knock down release clause. Sets a bit of a precedent, creates the feeling that we are a stepping stone.

But if it’s the best that we can do if we weigh up all the variables, fine I guess. Stops him going to a domestic rival for free. Makes sure we do at least get some decent cash for him rather than nothing. Just wish he’d commit properly - he has the whole rest of his life to live in Spain if he wants. Fact is right now they haven’t come for him, so why base the contact you’re signing on that move and make it slightly weirder at the club you’re at?

All the talk is that if he moves for free he gets a big signing on fee because he’s a free agent. Well why don’t we just do the same thing? Big sign on fee rather than spending to replace him? I feel like Levy is actually fairly willing to spend big on investments as long as it doesn’t have too many trickle down effects like breaking a wage structure would. And clearly we were willing to do something creative to land Dybala.

Maybe the precedent would then be players start asking for massive sign on fees before they need it, and we don’t want to go down that route. And maybe it weirdly almost disincentivises Eriksen if he has big money, and knows in his heart he may never get the move as he’s taken the money and forsaken his hunger.

Maybe then the right thing to do is offer him the big wage increase with a modest release clause because that’s the way to keep him performing at the highest level to ensure he gets that move if it can happen. And if we can get 60/70 for him, that probably funds whoever his replacement would be in any case.

Eriksen is a special player no doubt. Maybe he'll stay and this interlude will have fans appreciating him more. That said, we often turn the screw on teams in the last 30. We wear them down, our fitness comes through, and we get ontop of the game. Eriksen coming on fresh enhanced what was going on already. Just the circumstances made it a thing.

Desperatly hope we sign him up. Exciting to have so much quality in the side. And I think he'd like another season with us and these new talents. Would help the transition. He has the time to go to another club, at 28 he's still in his prime.

I was there as well and that is how i saw it as well, and so did those who were sat around me.

Back