• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Characters

I'm not 100% but weren't both Fazio and Stambouli made captains of their teams in the summer ?

I can't even name my favourite player any more. I might have to get my next shirt with Pochettino on the back.

A lot of truth in that for me as well. Probably Eriksen.

However the biggest point is you dont look at the squad and see a cohesive unit or a team. Its up to Poch to now gel a team spirit and identitiy - at teh moment it looks like a large group of individuals, and not the most talented bunch either. Really comes down to Poch to where we finish - if he does exceptionally then 4th, if he does 'ok' then probably 6th, trying to fight off Everton to stop us finishing 7th

Not sure about Stambouli but Fazio was Sevilla captain before, he captained them to the Europa League win.

Thanks . I just read that Stambouli was vice captain but was offered the captaincy along with a new contract by Montpelier.

I'd imagine they both must have on the pitch leadership qualities , well I'm hoping .

Thanks . I just read that Stambouli was vice captain but was offered the captaincy along with a new contract by Montpelier.

I'd imagine they both must have on the pitch leadership qualities , well I'm hoping .

Let's hope so. Stambouli does have a Ligue 1 winner's medal with Montpelier, so certainly knows what it takes to win the title as a midfielder.

Not sure about Stambouli but Fazio was Sevilla captain before, he captained them to the Europa League win.

I'm pretty sure Fazio was only appointed Seville captain 2 weeks before we signed him

Ivan Rakitic has been their captain in recent seasons, but then got sold to Barca in June.

A lot of truth in that for me as well. Probably Eriksen.

However the biggest point is you dont look at the squad and see a cohesive unit or a team. Its up to Poch to now gel a team spirit and identitiy - at teh moment it looks like a large group of individuals, and not the most talented bunch either. Really comes down to Poch to where we finish - if he does exceptionally then 4th, if he does 'ok' then probably 6th, trying to fight off Everton to stop us finishing 7th
With the exception of Daws, I wouldn't describe the players that have left as team players. I think that we are still transitioning to a coach wanting a team approach from our previous individualistic approach. It was always going to look a bit raggedy during this period.

For me there are only two types of players (in this limited discussion about characters that is). Those that hide and those that do not, when faced with adversity. You can label them characters, leaders, captains, whatever, but I want most of all to see the players take responsibility on the pitch and at least try to sway the tide when we are under pressure. In the Liverpool game two players that did this most IMO were Lamela and Bentaleb. Were they the best players on the pitch? Nope but they never shied away from the ball and hide behind their teammates or the opposition and for that they deserve a lot of credit.

Hope the new guys are of this ilk.

For me there are only two types of players (in this limited discussion about characters that is). Those that hide and those that do not, when faced with adversity. You can label them characters, leaders, captains, whatever, but I want most of all to see the players take responsibility on the pitch and at least try to sway the tide when we are under pressure. In the Liverpool game two players that did this most IMO were Lamela and Bentaleb. Were they the best players on the pitch? Nope but they never shied away from the ball and hide behind their teammates or the opposition and for that they deserve a lot of credit.

Hope the new guys are of this ilk.
He's not the most popular player on here but Rose did not buckle against Liverpool either and was the pick of our defenders.

He's not the most popular player on here but Rose did not buckle against Liverpool either and was the pick of our defenders.

Imagine the meltdown on here if he was captain! He actually has some good traits for a captain, but doubt will ever happen....

True. Rose did OK and he has me changing my mind about him. He did the old slow jog back thing which annoys me but he's been doing it less so at least he's on an upwardish curve.

TBH those characters did nothing for us when we got smashed 3-0, 6-0, 5-0, 4-0, 4-0, 5-1 last season.

I'd much rather a team which works as one. Characters come after. But I will sorely miss Sandro and Dawson. Loved that they played for my club.

Fully agree with this.
I am sad that Sandro, Dawson & Holtby left. However, I always knew in my heart that their time was up.
Holtby has gone on loan. I really hope he comes back a much improved player.

As for characters, new ones will emerge. Maybe some of the new signings.

COYS

Holtby is not coming back, loan with buy option.

Sad to see him and Dawson go, but could understand, Sandro still has me wondering at what we don't know.

Re the leader/character thing, said it at multiple points in the Window, we need some experience, a Davids/Naybet, someone that won't panic, been there done that character, think that was a miss by Poch.

Sad to see him and Dawson go, but could understand, Sandro still has me wondering at what we don't know.

Re the leader/character thing, said it at multiple points in the Window, we need some experience, a Davids/Naybet, someone that won't panic, been there done that character, think that was a miss by Poch.

Yeh, the evidence suggest to me that there may be more to his injury than any of us know. It seems he was available, yet no 'big' teams came in for him (even though there are at least two who really need a defensive midfielder) and it seems very 'Redknapp' to take a risk on him in the hope that he gets maybe 50% of games out of him.

I think the club have assessed him and for injury reasons don't think he'll ever get to the same heights he was at before.

I agree on this point and thought that it was one of the major issues last season.

I'm hoping that Fazio and Stambouli may fit this mould; They were key players in recent successes for their clubs. Stambouli played alongside Giroud when Montpelier shocked French football when they won the league ahead of moneybags PSG i believe...

I'm hoping that Fazio and Stambouli may fit this mould; They were key players in recent successes for their clubs. Stambouli played alongside Giroud when Montpelier shocked French football when they won the league ahead of moneybags PSG i believe...

Pretty difficult to come into a new club in a new country and do that from the off though, you not think?

Pretty difficult to come into a new club in a new country and do that from the off though, you not think?

Also, they are relatively young. Still think we will regret not having one 30 year old, who has achieved wins, has a good work ethic on board.

What big characters did Poch have at Southampton? And we must remember that for all the nice football they played they were a poorer team than us last season as far as results go.

Back