• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Celtic v Rangers

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
Watching a documentary and was wondering where the support from Celtic fans regarding the IRA came from originally?

Isn't it just the Catholic v Protestant elements, pretty much a mirror of what happens in Northern Ireland? Perhaps in some areas of Glasgow there are more people of Irish heritage?

Apparently it was similar in Liverpool for a while, Catholics and Protestants hating on each other, but then they realised they were all working class and being shafted by the establishment so eventually cooperated and forgot about it.

This would in part explain an affinity between supporters of Celtic and Liverpool and explain why Liverpool seem particularly well supported in Ireland.

Short answer, I dunno.

Yeh when writing I thought "is this a silly question" because I know the Catholic v Protestant history. Never looked much deeper than that. Just found it strange watching the documentary this link between troubles in Ireland and two Scottish football teams.

Yeah, just want to add that obviously most Celtic fans probably don't support the IRA. On the opposing side the Protestants had the Ulster Defence Force which were pretty nasty too. Fans of both clubs can be a bit nasty, Rangers fans doing nazi salutes spring to mind.

Yeah, just want to add that obviously most Celtic fans probably don't support the IRA. On the opposing side the Protestants had the Ulster Defence Force which were pretty nasty too. Fans of both clubs can be a bit nasty, Rangers fans doing nazi salutes spring to mind.
They have far worse affiliations - some of them associate with Chelsea.

I lived in Glasgow for a year in the mid-90's and it was quite common to see collections go around for the IRA in pubs but you would see the same in some parts of London at that time too.

They say it's "more than football" ... ok leave the football out of it and live in small minded bitterness.

Should learn from mistakes and move on. Simple.

Back