• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ceefax

before the internet teletext was awesome. remember coming home from school and the first thing i would do is check teletext football news. 302 (as mentioned above for bbc) and 401 for itv. i remember when utd bought andy cole for 7million and it was a bit of a shock at the time and thought that it was an insane amount of money. read all of that on teletext.

best place to check up to date scores as well

before the internet teletext was awesome. remember coming home from school and the first thing i would do is check teletext football news. 302 (as mentioned above for bbc) and 401 for itv. i remember when utd bought andy cole for 7million and it was a bit of a shock at the time and thought that it was an insane amount of money. read all of that on teletext.

So much of my childhood was spent sat in front of the latest Prem scores waiting for the page to turn to the Spurs score and hoping a goal had popped up for us! To think nowadays I just stream the match on my laptop. I wonder how much easier it'll be to see the matches in another 15 years...virtual reality seat in the stadium?

So much of my childhood was spent sat in front of the latest Prem scores waiting for the page to turn to the Spurs score and hoping a goal had popped up for us! To think nowadays I just stream the match on my laptop. I wonder how much easier it'll be to see the matches in another 15 years...virtual reality seat in the stadium?

i did the same. although unfortunately those were the pre jol days when we were utter brick for the majority of the mid/late nineties/2000s. occasionally would check the score and would be 3-0 down against charlton or something

i did the same. although unfortunately those were the pre jol days when we were utter brick for the majority of the mid/late nineties/2000s. occasionally would check the score and would be 3-0 down against charlton or something

I remember excitedly getting home one Sunday afternoon to check the latest score, to my horror we were 3-0 down at home to Boro, Hamilton Ricard hat trick I think it was. and I remember 'watching' the Spurs v Villa game on Ceefax, lost 4-3 in Gerry's first game in charge. not sure why defeats stick in the memory!!

In good news, it was when I got home from school one day, flicked to page 140 (the ooold page number for Football!) to see the top news 'Spurs sign German star Klinsmann'. Did a celebratory run around the living room!

clubcall adverts on teletex were the ITK of their day, some flimflam cryptic message you had to try and decipher!

clubcall adverts on teletex were the ITK of their day, some flimflam cryptic message you had to try and decipher!

wow you absolutely right about that, what a nostalgia trip. would always be something like

Spurs linked with Italian megastar call 0845 ...at a £1 a second

I suppose Ceefax, the first teletext, was in some ways the first wireless internet.

I was just reading about a proposal to to build the Charles Babbage's analytical engine, (see Why we want to build Charles Babbage's Victorian computer), which was a design for a mechanical computer. Its interesting how some ideas are too early to be practical, or underappreciated as to how innovative they really are, while others are hyped from the roof tops.

In good news, it was when I got home from school one day, flicked to page 140 (the ooold page number for Football!) to see the top news 'Spurs sign German star Klinsmann'. Did a celebratory run around the living room!
:) I remember that too (the headline, not your celebratory run around the living room).

Last edited:

I remember teletext being page 140 before 401 too!!

Sad news.

Teletext!

teletext-bamboozle.jpg

o-TWITTER-570.jpg

A54DtJUCcAEGAe_.jpg

I think the bottom one is fake judging by the time and date of the one above also...:lol:

Back