• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cat7 or Cat8 ethernet

Rorschach

Sonny Walters
Any networking experts on here? I'm about to cable a home network and am wondering if Cat7 will be enough to future-proof it or if should I go the whole hog and use Cat8.

Cat 8 will theoretically carry 40Gbps, but the run limit is 30m, which isn’t as far as it sounds when you route them in neatly.

Cat 7 is 10Gbps up to 100m.

I wouldn’t discount Cat6 myself, depends on how much you are putting in and how accessible it will be in future.

The cost will increase with each revision too.

Only caveat with Cat6 is that on the longer runs, ~50m+, that you would likely drop to 1Gbps - under that it should hit 10Gbps too.
For a normal home install, Cat7 should fit the bill in most instances. It depends if you have, or will eventually have, equipment that would use the performance uptick that Cat8 offers.

What's the problem with everything being WiFi?
Big property for a start that has lots of thick walls which will degrade the signal, so I might need a mesh network. I may not, but better to be looking at it than for it. And I require a hard line running back to the switch for a thin client (no wi-fi) for work and some lines outside to areas beyond WIFI range.

Cat 8 will theoretically carry 40Gbps, but the run limit is 30m, which isn’t as far as it sounds when you route them in neatly.

Cat 7 is 10Gbps up to 100m.

I wouldn’t discount Cat6 myself, depends on how much you are putting in and how accessible it will be in future.

The cost will increase with each revision too.
Accessibility will likely not be good later. I am thinking of leaving enough space to fish a cable through if I had to though that could go wrong.

What happens to Cat 8 over 30m? Just a drop-off in speed?

So I am thinking of a Cat 8 for the office which will be less than 30m from the switch and the rest Cat 7

Big property for a start that has lots of thick walls which will degrade the signal, so I might need a mesh network. I may not, but better to be looking at it than for it. And I require a hard line running back to the switch for a thin client (no wi-fi) for work and some lines outside to areas beyond WIFI range.
yeah, my work PC is wired to my router, but everything else is WiFi. Just wondered if I was missing anything. I'd had poor results with boosters, but Sky sent one recently and it works really well.

Accessibility will likely not be good later. I am thinking of leaving enough space to fish a cable through if I had to though that could go wrong.

What happens to Cat 8 over 30m? Just a drop-off in speed?
I did this cable thing when I moved into my house 15 years ago, but it all got redundant due to WiFi being easier and it works. I also put draw strings to future proof it, but never used them, and wouldn't bother doing it again.

Yeah, will drop down to 10 anyway.

Thought it could push to 25Gbps for 30+ to 100m? Maybe 10 after that on longer runs?
We'd been discussing it a couple of months back for an upcoming location, and the one remaining memory cell I have seems to recall something like 25.

Not that it makes a huge difference for home install :)

I did this cable thing when I moved into my house 15 years ago, but it all got redundant due to WiFi being easier and it works. I also put draw strings to future proof it, but never used them, and wouldn't bother doing it again.
Yeah it is probably overkill but I can get at it easily now for this sort of messing so I might as well.

Depends on what you use it for. WiFi still isn't as good or reliable as cable. Doesn't really matter in most applications, but it's very noticeable in gaming for instance. In some games my ping is 50-80 ms on WiFi, but only around 30 ms wired. That makes a massive difference in that application.
For browsing, streaming and other everyday use, it's irrelevant.

Didn't know there was cat 7 and 8. Just got cat 6 put in when I rewired - have one port in the upstairs study and one in the living room for the TV. Figured with films coming in 4K now might be useful to plug the TV in for streaming. Sounds like CAT6 will be enough if it's 1GB as I'll only be streaming TV/Films.

Back