• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

Made the leap into fully electric cars. Got tired of fixing the old VW Passat. Around new year, the rear left spring collapsed while the car was parked (thankfully), and entangled itself into the wheel and suspension arms, so I had to rpeair it on the spot. The amount of foul language I uttered while changing rear springs in -20 degress was excessive, and that's when I decided it was enough. On my way just now to pick up a brand new MGS6!
And here it is! Loving it so far. Tried lots of different cars, but the MG just felt right. The cabin space is huge! It's pretty much exactly the same size as the Skoda Enyaq, but much more space, and the seats are better (for me), especially in the back. Grown people can sit there very comfortably, and stretch their legs.
And it goes like a rocket!
Messenger_creation_11ECFF12-DBE4-44A0-9266-2C9295C1BE4E.jpeg
 

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Grauniad article is seven years old, but we can be pretty confident that nothing it complains about has changed, so that’s fine.
 

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's really interesting and disturbing at the same time. I honestly didn't think this was an issue still.
 
So, collected my new company car on Friday, skoda kodiaq hybrid.
Needing to get a home charger sorted, any advice?
I've an old electrical box in the garage that I'm hoping they can upgrade and run it from there.
 
So, collected my new company car on Friday, skoda kodiaq hybrid.
Needing to get a home charger sorted, any advice?
I've an old electrical box in the garage that I'm hoping they can upgrade and run it from there.
Charger power draw is substantial. Very substantial sometimes, depending on the charger. I guess the 'electrical box' is an old fuse box so that will likely need to be switched out to a new consumer unit with an RCBO etc. The cable feeding this new consumer unit and on to the charger will need to be fairly big - 6sq or maybe 10sq depending on the charger. Hopefully the one going back to the main fuse board/consumer unit is already big enough. That can be a pain but the rest is straightforward.
 
It's this, as I said old.
I've been thinking about upgrading it as the lights and one socket in the garage is inadequate. We never use it though, it's a rubbish storage area so was never a priority.
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260929183605.jpg
    IMG20260929183605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
It's this, as I said old.
I've been thinking about upgrading it as the lights and one socket in the garage is inadequate. We never use it though, it's a rubbish storage area so was never a priority.
That is a (very) old isolator switch I think, for turning off all power to an outbuilding or a garage in this case. They'll take that out and put in a small consumer unit I would think. The cable running into that switch from the house is the important bit: whether it is old cabling and/or can handle the load. Anyway, the installer will figure that out.
Are there any grants to help with the cost?

One thing about hybrids is you have to charge them. Surveys show that people get a bit lazy about that. Otherwise, you're hauling around an extra motor and battery for no gain.
 
Last edited:
That is a (very) old isolator switch I think, for turning off all power to an outbuilding or a garage in this case. They'll take that out and put in a small consumer unit I would think. The cable running into that switch from the house is the important bit: whether it is old cabling and/or can handle the load. Anyway, the installer will figure that out.
Are there any grants to help with the cost?

One thing about hybrids is you have to charge them. Surveys show that people get a bit lazy about that. Otherwise, you're hauling around an extra motor and battery for no gain.

No grants because it's on our driveway.
With petrol at £1.70 a litre and it costing buttons to charge overnight trust me I won't forget to charge it.
I only do a very limited amount of miles most weeks, 100 tops, so if I can get by two charges a week I'm quids in.
That's after the considerable savings on BIK.
 
Back