• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlos Vinicius

I have no issue with him, I really don’t
But £40m is the same money as better players
It’s that simple IMO
If it was £20m I’d say fair dues
I agree 40m is high, I'm just doubtful we get anyone better suited for our needs and situation for 25m or 40m.

But a £40m player would arguably be knocking on the door more for starts as they would have and IMO take more chances
Don’t forget we talking the same money here that pool will pay for Jota

We shall see i guess, he has shown enough to suggest he could be a very good signing.

We shall see i guess, he has shown enough to suggest he could be a very good signing.
I don’t disagree
But as I’ve said
£40m is bordering on top of the class money
It’s a big chunk of wedge for a player who isn’t a starter
But I don’t know what the alternatives are

I don’t disagree
But as I’ve said

he’s wooden and simply not good enough for our league. @£40m :D

I think he’s shown a lot of promise in the sporadic moments he’s had on the pitch. Has a lot of attributes needed for a front man. He’s had so little continuity in matches. Bale has struggled too.

I don't think it happens for the agreed fee, he's done alright, but nothing to warrant paying that kind of money. Though very early days for a backup player in a new league so it's difficult to judge him, but it's a lot of money.

Happy enough if we sign him for a lower fee, happy enough if he leaves and we sign someone else.

I don’t disagree
But as I’ve said
It is a lot of cash for a squad player, but we've got the "problem" that our two main forwards are world class -- on current form, we'd have to pay £100M+ for anyone who even has a hope of displacing Kane and Son from the starting XI.

From what I've seen of Vinicius, he's got skills, decent attitude, and does know where the goal is. So the comparison will be more like this:

Option 1: Vinicius for £40M - has trained with the squad for a season, has scored a few in the cups when asked, might justify the £40M.
Option 2: Carlos Kickabout for £20M - young, knocking 'em in for some other team. Looks like he'll be worth £40M in a couple of years.

£20M isn't a small sum of money, of course, but better the devil you know and all that. I'd trust Levy to finagle the Vinicius deal in our favour, anyway.

Last edited:
It is, but we're got the "problem" that our two main forwards are world class -- we'd have to pay £100M+ for anyone who even has a hope of displacing Kane and Son from the starting XI.

From what I've seen of Vinicius, he's got skills, decent attitude, and does know where the goal is. So the comparison is more like this:

Option 1: Vinicius for £40M - has trained with the squad for a season, has scored a few in the cups when asked, might justify the £40M.
Option 2: Carlos Kickabout for £20M - young, knocking 'em in for some other team. Looks like he'll be worth £40M in a couple of years.

£20M isn't a small sum of money, of course, but better the devil you know and all that. I'd trust Levy to finagle the Vinicius deal in our favour, anyway.
Ok
How about Toney from Brentford
£28m I reckon
Homegrown
Best striker in the championship
And already done well against us

Ok
How about Toney from Brentford
£28m I reckon
Homegrown
Best striker in the championship
And already done well against us
There's a lot to be said for buying the best homegrown players from the Championship -- if they'll come to us, anyway. And a smart young striker shouldn't want to sit on the bench, just getting a game when Sonny and Kane are being rested. Instead, he should be looking at the likes of Ollie Watkins at Villa, for example -- he's getting games and scoring goals. At least, he was earlier in the season.

The less smart young strikers are going to chase the money and sign for clubs like Chelsea. And disappear without a trace.

Toney is 24, so only just younger than Vinicius. One scores lots of goals in the Championship, the other did well in Portugal. Is Toney being homegrown and £12M cheaper enough to outweigh the advantage of Vinicius' season with our squad?

There's a lot to be said for buying the best homegrown players from the Championship -- if they'll come to us, anyway. And a smart young striker shouldn't want to sit on the bench, just getting a game when Sonny and Kane are being rested. Instead, he should be looking at the likes of Ollie Watkins at Villa, for example -- he's getting games and scoring goals. At least, he was earlier in the season.

The less smart young strikers are going to chase the money and sign for clubs like Chelsea. And disappear without a trace.

Toney is 24, so only just younger than Vinicius. One scores lots of goals in the Championship, the other did well in Portugal. Is Toney being homegrown and £12M cheaper enough to outweigh the advantage of Vinicius' season with our squad?
Well I’d argue yes

When Toney plays just as few games as Vinnie has he will he score anymore goals? I doubt it, I also doubt Toney is the player that is going to make Mou stick Kane on the bench. It's just not going to happen.
So who is?
I look at Vinny and think he has done well
But has he done any better than maybe someone like Toney would have done... who knows
What I do know is that Vinny is a foreign player and one with a pre agreed £40m fee which just seems too high to me
Toney would cost less and could arguably be as effective and also is homegrown

I was convinced we would go for Milik but he has gone Marseille

So who is?
I look at Vinny and think he has done well
But has he done any better than maybe someone like Toney would have done... who knows
What I do know is that Vinny is a foreign player and one with a pre agreed £40m fee which just seems too high to me
Toney would cost less and could arguably be as effective and also is homegrown

I was convinced we would go for Milik but he has gone Marseille
No one is. Toney will come in and sir on the bench just about as much Janssen, Llorente and Vinnie all have. Kane is advisory world class there isn't a striker we can get that is going to get significant minutes because Lane will get those minutes.

Toney is a good championship striker, he'll come in with some confidence but will rarely play with the first 11 or have much time and gradually his confidence will ebb and he will have matches exactly like Vinnie did Vs Wycombe.

The backup striker needs some rhythm and game time, something having a striker as good as Kane just doesn't encourage.

To be clear I'm not anti Toney I just don't think the end result will be any different unless the manager treats him differently.

No one is. Toney will come in and sir on the bench just about as much Janssen, Llorente and Vinnie all have. Kane is advisory world class there isn't a striker we can get that is going to get significant minutes because Lane will get those minutes.

Toney is a good championship striker, he'll come in with some confidence but will rarely play with the first 11 or have much time and gradually his confidence will ebb and he will have matches exactly like Vinnie did Vs Wycombe.

The backup striker needs some rhythm and game time, something having a striker as good as Kane just doesn't encourage.

To be clear I'm not anti Toney I just don't think the end result will be any different unless the manager treats him differently.
I agree
The end result will be the same
Players need games
Players also need a chance to prove themselves
And by the end of the season we will know more about Vinny than other potential strikers
That has to be a good thing

I cant see Kane starting on Sunday - not worth the risk - so I assume Vinicius will get his chance then

I cant see Kane starting on Sunday - not worth the risk - so I assume Vinicius will get his chance then
This is where maybe giving him 10 - 15 minutes here and there in PL games would haved reaped rewards. Instead he didn't even trust him for the 2nd half today, so will he trust him for the next match from the start?

Jose's fudged up a position he was actually quite strong in. If we can all see he doesn't truly believe in Vinnie what must Vinnie think? The only positive is if he takes the rejection as a motivator spur. [emoji848]

This is where maybe giving him 10 - 15 minutes here and there in PL games would haved reaped rewards. Instead he didn't even trust him for the 2nd half today, so will he trust him for the next match from the start?

Jose's fudged up a position he was actually quite strong in. If we can all see he doesn't truly believe in Vinnie what must Vinnie think? The only positive is if he takes the rejection as a motivator spur. [emoji848]
That’s where a manager earns his money
But I think he will just play bale instead

Back