• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Car dealer advice

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
I'm heading to a VW dealer on Saturday to look at a Scirocco, any advice on how to get the best deal, I'll be part-exchanging my TT so advice on getting the best price for that as well.

Cheers

The fella just rang me and said that they have someone else interested in the car and they were going to go and look at it before me so if I wanted to stop them buying it I should put a holding deposit down. I did as he said it was completely refundable but it seems a bit like something they made up to get me to commit to it. Oh well, should be a fun weekend.

get em to chuck in a service plan, and see if there is any movement on a longer warranty at a discount rate

I've also managed to get a years tax out of ford before

The fella just rang me and said that they have someone else interested in the car and they were going to go and look at it before me so if I wanted to stop them buying it I should put a holding deposit down. I did as he said it was completely refundable but it seems a bit like something they made up to get me to commit to it. Oh well, should be a fun weekend.

That sounds like a hook to me.

Unless you have your heart set on this one, I wouldn't do something like that as it makes it harder to play brinksmanship and walk away

If you can wait till the end of the month you may find the salesman happier to negotiate as he/she is probably on monthly commission rates and may not have met their target and thus more amenable to a deal.

If you are going to pay without taking out their finance, tell them you need it and agree a price based on their finance ( though they wont admit to this).
- Most dealerships make more profit out of loan commission than vehicle sales.
Then make a phone call.
When you come off the call say it was your dad and he has offered to lend you the money so you can now pay cash.

I find they wont budge on the price of the car if they think its a popular model that someone else will come along and buy if you decide to leave it anyway.

Last time I bought a car i managed to wrangle myself not paying the 'admin fees' (amounting to something ridiculous like over £200ish) on the basis that if it was a mandatory payment, surely it'd be included in the price of the car. Bit of too-ing and thro-ing, but still saved a bit of money.

If its a brand new car, as them not to wash it to make sure you're nice new paint job inst being scratched up by a dirty old sponge or a chamois full of particles of dust and muck.

Back