• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cann we?

Nah Emery knows how to manage Europe and Villa have been building toward this for a while now. It's not the end of the world mind you, but they're much better prepared for CL than Howe and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
Emery was appointed as head coach of English club Arsenal in 2018, succeeding Arsène Wenger. He finished Europa League runner-up in his first season, before being dismissed in November 2019. He was hired by Villarreal in July 2020, where he won the Europa League in his first season and guided the club to a Champions League semi-final run in the following season.
I didn't realise he almost won the EL with the goons too. Didn't do too badly with Villarreal in the CL either - but at a cost, finishing 7th in the league.

Nah Emery knows how to manage Europe and Villa have been building toward this for a while now. It's not the end of the world mind you, but they're much better prepared for CL than Howe and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
They are but they have PsR issues so their squad may have to change

Reactions: jrh

Building to it for a while? Emery only joined 18 months ago. They need some big upgrades if they want to compete in both competitions -- as do we. I think we'd struggle as well.

Building to it for a while? Emery only joined 18 months ago. They need some big upgrades if they want to compete in both competitions -- as do we. I think we'd struggle as well.
Lange had been making signings for them with a view to be a CL side since around the time they brought Bailey in. 2020?

It's been a long term plan for them, regardless of Emery's tenure length.

Lange had been making signings for them with a view to be a CL side since around the time they brought Bailey in. 2020?

This is true. They've used the Sporting Director as the lead model so that each subsequent coach is the one supposed to fit in and align to the club's model rather than the other way around.

Reactions: jrh

Ok so max 4 years, in which time they’ve had 3 different managers (Dean Smith, Gerrard, Emery). I don’t see how that suddenly makes them a team prepared to go into the knockout stages of the Champions League and then finish in the top 4 again. They may well, and Emery definitely has the pedigree, but my bet is they’ll struggle to juggle them both.

Ok so max 4 years, in which time they’ve had 3 different managers (Dean Smith, Gerrard, Emery). I don’t see how that suddenly makes them a team prepared to go into the knockout stages of the Champions League and then finish in the top 4 again. They may well, and Emery definitely has the pedigree, but my bet is they’ll struggle to juggle them both.
I'm guessing Smith was already there, but I hope Lange had FA to do with appointing Gerrard!

They're going to have to juggle players aswell it seems. It looks like if they don't sell players by june 30th they might breach psr. Although after june 30th (if they qualify for cl) they'll have a season of cl revenue so could buy players possibly.

A weird one.

Don't think I ever said they'd go to the knockout stages did I? I just said I think they're better prepared to compete than Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Howe, which is the example you gave mate.

Is there a change coming next season meaning that clubs no longer drop from the Champions League later stages into the Europa?

Is there a change coming next season meaning that clubs no longer drop from the Champions League later stages into the Europa?

It's going to bea 36 team league playing in a swiss format. Tbh every time it's explained to me my brain just melts. Even playing fm with the format, i have no clue what's going on.

Don't think I ever said they'd go to the knockout stages did I? I just said I think they're better prepared to compete than Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Howe, which is the example you gave mate.

Right, because my bar for success in the CL (for most teams) is getting out of the group. Just qualifying might give you a bit of cash but not much else. Even if they do get out of the group, I still don’t think they’ll make top 4 again.

Currently the 2nd place teams in the EL group stage play the 3rd place team from the CL group stage to make up the final 16 of the EL. So that's one playoff round to determine the final 16 (same goes for 3rd place in EL playing 2nd place in ECL to make up final 16 of ECL).

In the new format that playoff round will be contained within the competition. The top 8 will automatically go through to the final 16 and the clubs finishing 9-24 will have to play a playoff tie to determine the other 8 that will make up the final 16 of the competition. The losers of this playoff round are out and do not drop to EL.

If we use this year's competition format, the equivalent would be that 1st in the group stages makes it to R16 and 2nd and 3rd teams in the groups play a playoff round to determine the other 8 teams in the R16 without anyone dropping to the lower competition.

All 3 euro comps are moving to the Swiss league format.
The main difference is the group stage is replaced by a complete league of all teams, each playing 8 games (4 home/4 away) and (as posted above) the top 8 go straight to the rnd16 and 9-24 play an extra round to fill up the remaining 8 places.

The only slight difference between comps is the conference league only play 6 games in the league phase.

How they decide who plays who in the league phase I haven't a clue?.

But drop ins have been done away with...a good thing imo.

All 3 euro comps are moving to the Swiss league format.
The main difference is the group stage is replaced by a complete league of all teams, each playing 8 games (4 home/4 away) and (as posted above) the top 8 go straight to the rnd16 and 9-24 play an extra round to fill up the remaining 8 places.

The only slight difference between comps is the conference league only play 6 games in the league phase.

How they decide who plays who in the league phase I haven't a clue?.

But drop ins have been done away with...a good thing imo.

Clubs will be divided into 4 pots of 9 teams based on coefficients like today. They will then be drawn against two teams from each pot for a total of 8 matches, one home and one away from each pot. Clubs from associations with four or more clubs involved may be drawn against each other to avoid deadlocking. I'm sure UEFA will come up with an extraordinarily complicated way of doing this.

Back