• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

United had more penalties in one half than we had all season
Spurs is in top 3 in all of Europe for touches in the opposition box, but not in top 80 for penalties
We take something like 900 touches in box to get a penalty, our opposition something like ~200
Werner last week was a stone wall penalty

But everyone here will say, nope, no issue, refs aren't fudging incompetent or biased, there is a fudging problem here ..

That is interesting. And it makes sense to me as those metrics are complimentary. A lack of penalties goes hand in hand with lots of touches suggests we are not as fast and direct as we could be.

Do the teams with more touches create more attacks and score many more goals?

As for referees not blowing up, well that way lies madness - even if some truth in it.

That is interesting. And it makes sense to me as those metrics are complimentary. A lack of penalties goes hand in hand with lots of touches suggests we are not as fast and direct as we could be.

Do the teams with more touches create more attacks and score many more goals?

As for referees not blowing up, well that way lies madness - even if some truth in it.
Interesting point. I think you could also lay some of it at the fact we don't really have dribbly tricky tight players in the box. We aren't really forcing lunges or desperate tackles from defenders hence the lack of pens. Thinking back I can't really remember any controversial decisions in that regard beyond the Werner one.

Interesting point. I think you could also lay some of it at the fact we don't really have dribbly tricky tight players in the box. We aren't really forcing lunges or desperate tackles from defenders hence the lack of pens. Thinking back I can't really remember any controversial decisions in that regard beyond the Werner one.

Maddison does a fair amount of tempting defenders to touch him in the box with his footwork, every game.

While I agree the way we play affects it, the stats are way too fudged up to ignore, Werner, Son has had a couple, think Deki as well, even last season, couple of robust pushes on Kane that didn't go our way, this is the issue at the end, consistency is brick from refs, and in that inconsistent model, after having one decision go for us due to error, data says we are getting fudge all despite creating enough circumstance for it (touches/possession in opposition box)

Back to the post topic, do we start both Johnson and Timo next game?

Maddison does a fair amount of tempting defenders to touch him in the box with his footwork, every game.

While I agree the way we play affects it, the stats are way too fudged up to ignore, Werner, Son has had a couple, think Deki as well, even last season, couple of robust pushes on Kane that didn't go our way, this is the issue at the end, consistency is brick from refs, and in that inconsistent model, after having one decision go for us due to error, data says we are getting fudge all despite creating enough circumstance for it (touches/possession in opposition box)

Absolutely. Run them hard and fast, have them complimentary and swapping sides.

Johnson.

And the refs will never be consistent across all games because they are different refs with varying opinions for every match. What would be interesting is if each ref is individually consistent with their own decisions. I don't know if a study like that has ever been done.

Just like Greaves and Kane then. The greatest asset a forward can have is being in the right place to score, not something you can teach.
You need cold blooded finishing to go along with that finding of space. He seems to have the ability to find the space as he doesn't it in most matches, he lacks mainly in the decision making which leads to his poor finishing. He might improve in that regard with time or he may stay the same, that particular trait is a hard one to predict.

You need cold blooded finishing to go along with that finding of space. He seems to have the ability to find the space as he doesn't it in most matches, he lacks mainly in the decision making which leads to his poor finishing. He might improve in that regard with time or he may stay the same, that particular trait is a hard one to predict.

Hopefully he can improve finishing and not end up becoming as notorious for missing sitters as Werner.

I love Deki but he was abysmal yesterday and has been for most of the season really
He is too slow, cumbersome and predictable
I like him in the middle just not on the wing anymore
I think he has said he is best in the middle and has been asked to do a job on the wing in recent years and had to figure it out. I'd rotate him with Maddison and give Johnson a run on the right

I think he has said he is best in the middle and has been asked to do a job on the wing in recent years and had to figure it out. I'd rotate him with Maddison and give Johnson a run on the right

This. He can still cover Johnson as well as Maddison.

Johnson just gives us more movement

It's pace, this system needs it, he has bags of it.

He was great yesterday, not for the first time.

But we've seen him start before and not have the same impact, that's what he needs to fix.

Back