• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan JB7

EchoBravo

Darren Caskey
Hello all
Over the years i have been reading this forum & noticed lots of people have good knowledge of Techy stuff, so i wondered if you could give me some advice?
I have been thinking of purchasing a Breenan JB7 the 500GB version.
http://www.brennan.co.uk/
Are they worth it?
Is there anything else out there similar or better?
Ihave about 800 CD's taking lots of room up & want to put them in the loft!

Thanks

The unit is ?ú479 without speakers.

You could get a really nice shuttle for that sort of money. I've got a media centre which is just a PC (a former employer were going to sent for scrap) with extra ram, a HD graphics card and a 500GB HG, total cost to me about ?ú80 (as a mate gave me the HD). Movies, TV, Music, Pictures all available through my TV and existing stereo system.

Since you posted this the targeted advertising banners have this all over it, do you work for them?

Seems very expensive for what you're getting

For that sort of cash I'd want a lot more tech

These sort of machines have no future

You could probably negotiate 10 years of music streaming for that sort of price

Waste of money

You could get a really nice shuttle for that sort of money. I've got a media centre which is just a PC (a former employer were going to sent for scrap) with extra ram, a HD graphics card and a 500GB HG, total cost to me about ?ú80 (as a mate gave me the HD). Movies, TV, Music, Pictures all available through my TV and existing stereo system.

Since you posted this the targeted advertising banners have this all over it, do you work for them?

No i work for the NHS, have done for 25 years.

It is not getting a very good write up on here. price etc.

Sorry but i am not great with HIFI/Techy stuff, what is a shuttle?

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=2&cat=103&filtersubcat=1301

w0261440_newpage.jpg

If you are not savvy with building your own stuff they are probably not for you, but they are very small PC's which look kinda nice and are built without fans for very quiet running (and come barebones so you have to get the components and build yourself). My mates who have them run them with solid state drives running the media from a NAS box. I've more of a cheapskate so have a PC as said and have the HD graphics cards fan disconnected (which was more an experiment to quieten the unit but has worked even in summer when watching back to back films etc).

I don't really like the look of the Brennan one you posted, but the amp is decent by the looks and it is probably very quiet.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=2&cat=103&filtersubcat=1301

w0261440_newpage.jpg

If you are not savvy with building your own stuff they are probably not for you, but they are very small PC's which look kinda nice and are built without fans for very quiet running (and come barebones so you have to get the components and build yourself). My mates who have them run them with solid state drives running the media from a NAS box. I've more of a cheapskate so have a PC as said and have the HD graphics cards fan disconnected (which was more an experiment to quieten the unit but has worked even in summer when watching back to back films etc).

I don't really like the look of the Brennan one you posted, but the amp is decent by the looks and it is probably very quiet.

Thanks for this info Gifter, but as i said i am not a techy, so above me!

My next way out, is to buy a Ipod 160GB & transfer all too itunes. Probably buy a bose dock (about ?ú200)

You might be better off with NAS (assuming you have reasonable networking at home).

My parents were in a similar situation and I got them a Synology DS211J. You can then upgrade the disks whenever you want, utilise mirroring to protect the data (although if you are keeping the originals don't worry) and stream it to any DNLA device.

This means that your laptop, phone, PC, newer TVs, etc will all stream right out of the box. If you have an old stereo you want to use, you just buy a media streamer and plug it into the aux input.

You might be better off with NAS (assuming you have reasonable networking at home).

My parents were in a similar situation and I got them a Synology DS211J. You can then upgrade the disks whenever you want, utilise mirroring to protect the data (although if you are keeping the originals don't worry)

The irony :mrgreen:

Back