• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bono and the Facebook IPO

NewYorkSpurs

Steven Caulker
Well, Facebook went public today. Craziest thing about it for me is that Bono apparently paid 90mill in 2009 for a stake in the company, and today, with the public offering, his shares are worth 1.5 billion. He's now the richest rock star in the world. Nice investment, still a dingdong.

all these years going on about Africa and charity etc well now he has the opportunity to make a real difference on all the issues he's been talking about for the last X amount of years

if he doesn't give 1 billion to charity he's a two faced trumping ****

Last edited:
Exactly.

Doesn't even pay the right taxes!!

Made some money chasing the stick down on IG Index. NASDAQ will cop a load of flack for the fudge up today. 40 minute delay due to volumes! Not good enough.

to think i used to really like u2 in the early 90's, can not stand them now and even the irish i know who usually cheer anyone with an irish sounding name are fed up with him.

Still waiting to see how the company will actually make money. They start plastering ads everywhere I can see it backfiring horribly.

News flash, there are already ads on there. It's a monster marketers dream. Also made nearly a billion off the games last year.

Facebook isn't going away any time soon. I advertised Spurs Australia on there for free for about 2 weeks. We had about 100 likes for a couple of months then suddenly jumped to 800 likes through targeted advertising. It is an absolute dream for advertisers.

The problem Facebook faces, is the change in behaviours towards tablet/device computing; if you litter such a small screen with adverts, the user will be put off. Not a problem with a large desktop browser though. It'll be interesting to see how they overcome and monetise the scaled-down world.

all these years going on about Africa and charity etc well now he has the opportunity to make a real difference on all the issues he's been talking about for the last X amount of years

if he doesn't give 1 billion to charity he's a two faced trumping ****

Usally the ones who spout about always giving to charity are the ones who give least. Self promoting gob-bricks.

Highly overrated and the shares will fall big in time in the distant future.

Myspace, Bebo just a few examples of how fast an internet based social site can change from an over $1billion value to less than $100m.

In my opinion it is very high risk. A competitor can come and take much of your market share with an outstanding feature (facebook did this with their newsfeed) and now some of the market are already preferring the less hassle and simplicity of Twitter.

Myspace in its day was top of the foodchain. I remember getting Facebook and friends hadn't even heard of it. Now it has taken the prime position. Anyone at the top can be toppled. People would have never thought Myspace would be in the position today when it was in its prime.

$100Billion?! No way. People are already starting to pick up on the depressive side of being overexposed to friends and their actions. Studies are shedding light on the effects of real life relationships and how they are having a negative effect;

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2248/is_138_35/ai_66171001/

Last edited:
The problem Facebook faces, is the change in behaviours towards tablet/device computing; if you litter such a small screen with adverts, the user will be put off. Not a problem with a large desktop browser though. It'll be interesting to see how they overcome and monetise the scaled-down world.

I can't see this being a problem. Advertising of today is clever with the use of Javascript and similar client-side scripting.

Adverts can make use of minimal spacing yet expose itself when the user is thinking about making a purchase.

No one will ever grow a social network this big again.

The most powerful aspect of Facebook is the like facility. Look at the campaign Kit Kat ran for the new flavour. Nearly a million individual votes. Nestlé know who voted for what and more importantly where that person is, demographic information. What other things they like. And they am market directly to that group now. It's also a dialogue with your consumers. Massively powerful tool and here to stay. 94 P/E ratio is mental though. Probably worth £15 billion, not £115!!!!

Apple shares up 40% this year. Another tech bubble building.

The most powerful aspect of Facebook is the like facility. Look at the campaign Kit Kat ran for the new flavour. Nearly a million individual votes. Nestl?® know who voted for what and more importantly where that person is, demographic information. What other things they like. And they am market directly to that group now. It's also a dialogue with your consumers. Massively powerful tool and here to stay. 94 P/E ratio is mental though. Probably worth ?ú15 billion, not ?ú115!!!!

I agree it has grown into a huge network but nothing is impossible. No one knows what technology holds in line for the future. People said when Myspace was in its prime that it was deemed the social hub of the World and now look at it, a derelict haven for amateur music groups.

Twitter has also gained a reputation in a small time frame and their customer base is growing.

The company is very valuable no doubt but how they can say it is worth over $100b mystifies me. Ford at least manufacture something in a small, exclusive market that many newcomers will find hard to break into. Net based companies however are a whole different kettle of fish, especially with giants like Google and Microsoft backing their own products.

Google are the number one search engine, Microsoft are the number one operating system. Both have favoured their products by the use of their powerful positions. I'm not saying FB is going anywhere soon but I will say they will have constant competition from newcomers at a far greater scale.

BB and Whatsapp are perfect examples of nobodies a few years ago to housing a strong customer base that is favoured above FB instant message (btw look how MSN has declined, it was the daddy in its day).

The most powerful aspect of Facebook is the like facility. Look at the campaign Kit Kat ran for the new flavour. Nearly a million individual votes. Nestl?® know who voted for what and more importantly where that person is, demographic information. What other things they like. And they am market directly to that group now. It's also a dialogue with your consumers. Massively powerful tool and here to stay. 94 P/E ratio is mental though. Probably worth ?ú15 billion, not ?ú115!!!!

Most definitely

Personally, I've never clicked an advert on facebook, and don't plan to in the future.

I think Facebook's real strength lies in its ability to build and communicate brand information to huge numbers of consumers.

But I imagine big companies will soon wise up to the fact that the ROI is not there for real advertising.

General Motors announced just before the IPO that they would no longer buy advertising on Facebook. Other companies will follow suit.

Also, as people become a little bit more IT savvy, the effectiveness of marketing on Facebook will diminish.

e.g. If I click on a "like", you don't know my full name, age, sex, address, school, home town or phone number. I choose NOT to share ANY personal information like this.

As people wise up, what will companies really gain from knowing 500,000 anonymous people like Kit Kats?

Back