• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Boiler

southstand1882

Mitchell Thomas
Is it cheaper to keep your boiler on 24/7, and maintain a warm house during the winter?

(As opposed to just cranking it up when you need the heat, and turning off at night / when you leave for work)

I've heard that by maintaining the heat, the boiler works less hard.

Anyone?

Depends on the insulation quality. Not in our house that's for sure! Though we just have an inglenook with a back boiler system and some electric/water Castrads to keep the main rooms habitable!

I leave mine on but have the thermostat down, havent had the heating on so far yet, flat is warm, im top floor and the people below always have their heating on

Mind you Im out for 12+ hours a day and my combined Gas / Electric bills are a massive £32 per month, rich guy with a massive house who I work with are £350 a month !!!!! yikes

No bloody way... my house is old and shall we say 'rambling'. Oil two years ago cost over £2500 a year, so we now have 4 woodburners and an open fire, and only use the oil for the hotacoer system and a blast before bed time upstairs for the kids... Wood for the year costs about £350. I can't believe it is cheaper to leave your boiler going all of the time!

Just had a new central heating system put in and finally (after 3 months!) got it working without going into fault.

Supposedly it's an energy efficient, intelligent system which monitors temperature and then turns the heating on when needed to maintain the desired temp.
(Must admit, i thought that was the core function of any central heating thermostat)

Back