• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

big decisions

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
arghhhhh

my mind is in a mess!

so, i have two job offers - one is a contract and the other is a different role at my current place with increased salary

they essentially come out to be the same monthly income (with small qtly bonus' at my current place)

the other role is far more interesting and a higher level, but only a contract and the commute is 1.5-2hrs longer each day

the new role here is "ok", pays the bills, is perm and gives me a little more time to study my degree

GHod i hate making decisions

So...

You are being offered a contract with little to no job protection, with absolutely no cash incentive (the main, if not only reason to go contract), more responsibility and a much longer commute...

What's not to like?

If the salary is the same surely you'll be worse off as you'll be paying more to commute?

I'd stay where you are. Moving means you have no job security, no bonus and a two hour extra commute is two hours you could be doing something else other than be tinkled off on a train

current commute is 30mins walk each way, new commute appx 1hr20 each way

i hear ya Wookie - but then sometimes in life you need a bit of a challenge, and the other role is in a very niche area of legislation that is both hard to recruit for and hard to find jobs in! and that i have solid knowledge in.
i already rejected it on the basis of the contract length not being long enough and they want to discuss lengthening the contract - so they obviously want me.

maternity cover contract, so a chance of it going perm - but i cant look at it that way.

being risk adverse sucks sometimes!

If the salary is the same surely you'll be worse off as you'll be paying more to commute?

I'd stay where you are. Moving means you have no job security, no bonus and a two hour extra commute is two hours you could be doing something else other than be tinkled off on a train

salary is higher - income is roughly the same after travel (appx ?ú50 better off PCM in the other role, but then their is the commute taking up 354 hours - whci could be better used studying )

salary is higher - income is roughly the same after travel (appx ?ú50 better off PCM in the other role, but then their is the commute taking up 354 hours - whci could be better used studying )

Can you not study while commuting?

current commute is 30mins walk each way, new commute appx 1hr20 each way

i hear ya Wookie - but then sometimes in life you need a bit of a challenge, and the other role is in a very niche area of legislation that is both hard to recruit for and hard to find jobs in! and that i have solid knowledge in.
i already rejected it on the basis of the contract length not being long enough and they want to discuss lengthening the contract - so they obviously want me.

maternity cover contract, so a chance of it going perm - but i cant look at it that way.

being risk adverse sucks sometimes!

Fair play mate, if you see it as an oportunity. Personally I get very annoyed at people that want something for nothing. They are offering you no protection, I assume no holiday or sick leave, the period is defined so there is no chance for extension unless this woman bombs out and with all this in mind, knowing that there is a distinct possibility you will be unemployed for some time after your contract finishes, they want to pay you perm salary equivilent.

Contracting bares risk for you and none for the employer, that should always be reflected in the renumeration.

At the end of the day, if it is too good an opportunity for your CV to turn down, then you have to roll the dice and take your chances I guess, but I'd have asked for more.

The negatives you have listed are heavily stacked against the new job yet the fact you are still giving it serious thought tells me that its a prospect that excites you. Unless you have a wife/kids and really need the security I would go for it

thanks ever so much for the above guys

decided to turn it down - in the end the financial security of a perm role swayed it for me. gotta pay the bills!!

thanks again

Back