• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best season of football you saw a spurs player have?

Brilliant question...so tough...

I would say Glenn Hoddle in 1981/82. He was peerless and (for me anyway) at the peak of his performance...just wonderful...I still get goosebumps thinking of some of the things he did...so Glenn for me, that season. Honestly, for those who did not see it, we deserved the treble that season and were it not for the sort of fixture crunch you will never see again, we'd have done at least the double IMO.

Hard to argue that Allen's season was extraordinary but I missed most of it as I was all over the place traveling.
The Gomes shout in 2010 is bang-on, he was fudging phenomenal, just brilliant.
Ginola in 99 was sensational, and Berba in 2008 was pretty damn special.

But it feels like Bale is on another planet. IF he were to be able to maintain this form until May, I'd say it would be one of the outstanding seasons from any footballer in Premiership history.

Clive Allen 1986-87.

That season was head and shoulders above anything in his career.

Clive was the goal-poacher supreme. He seldom did much else in the build up but that's because he didn't need to. Often the lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation, he was fortunate to have the likes of Hoddle, Ardiles, Hodge and Waddle to provide him with all the ammunition he needed.

In particular he had one very simple but deadly technique that helped him bag many of his goals that season. He would lurk on the edge of the box, marked closely by one or more defenders. You'd think this would have cut off his supply completely but for him it was often a case of the closer he was marked, the better.

On receiving the ball he had this brilliant skill of lightly touching the ball off in the opposite direction and in the same movement swivelling 360 degrees away from his marker then instantly producing an accurate, powerful shot on target so that the ball was usually in the back of the net before the hapless defender had even begun to react.

Gazza 90/91 - legend

Ginola 98/99 - simply unplayable, was beating 2 or 3 players everytime he got the ball and that is no exaggeration.

To early for the waddle season but he was my first spurs hero, so must have been head and shoulders above the rest at that time.

Brilliant question...so tough...

I would say Glenn Hoddle in 1981/82. He was peerless and (for me anyway) at the peak of his performance...just wonderful...I still get goosebumps thinking of some of the things he did...so Glenn for me, that season. Honestly, for those who did not see it, we deserved the treble that season and were it not for the sort of fixture crunch you will never see again, we'd have done at least the double IMO.

Hard to argue that Allen's season was extraordinary but I missed most of it as I was all over the place traveling.
The Gomes shout in 2010 is bang-on, he was fudging phenomenal, just brilliant.
Ginola in 99 was sensational, and Berba in 2008 was pretty damn special.

But it feels like Bale is on another planet. IF he were to be able to maintain this form until May, I'd say it would be one of the outstanding seasons from any footballer in Premiership history.

Yay! Especially as it would almost certainly mean we'd dump Arse out of the CL and quite feasibly oust Chelsea from third.

Come on Gareth, you the man!

I dont remember too many that amazes me.

Maybe Ginola. Berba was special but Bale's is another level. I suppose the mass hysteria and media attention adds to the whole furore surrounding Bale. Its pretty amazing though to see someone unravel and unfold into a hell of a magnificent player and essentially world class. So lucky to have him and a player of his quality - you just have to break the bank for him and keep him for a while longer.

Clive was the goal-poacher supreme. He seldom did much else in the build up but that's because he didn't need to. Often the lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation, he was fortunate to have the likes of Hoddle, Ardiles, Hodge and Waddle to provide him with all the ammunition he needed.

One of those names really doesn't belong in such lofty company... :-k

Personally, I don't think I've seen a Spurs player have such a consistently high level of play since Gazza in '90-91. Ginola had special moments and games but was never able to string performances together as Bale is currently doing. Similarly, Berbs was good for most of that season but never put the team on his back and carried them as we are seeing Bale doing so.

Back