• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - Platoon v The Naked Gun

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Platoon

Released - 1986

Director - Oliver Stone
Producer - Arnold Kopelson
Writer - Oliver Stone
Starring - Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Keith David, Kevin Dillon, John C. McGinley

Awards: Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Sound Mixing and Best Film Editing

v

The Naked Gun: From the Files of the Police Squad!

Released - 1988

Director - David Zucker
Producer - Robert K. Weiss
Writers - Jerry Zucker, Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Pat Proft
Starring - Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, Ricardo Montalbán, George Kennedy, and O. J. Simpson

I remember thinking Platoon was just brilliant. Shocking and moving. Probably the best Vietnam war film for me of the ones I watched at the time - maybe it was because it was one of the first of the glut that I saw that makes it so. I don’t think I’ve watched it much since then though.
Naked Gun however I’ve seen numerous times and always makes me laugh.
If I had to choose just one to watch again it would be Naked Gun. So that wins.

Is there really a case? Platoon hands down the better film - over and over again.

Soundtrack alone has to give it the edge...

48% vs 52% - it's the will of the people. The Naked Gun goes through to the next round.

I'm trying to think of an Oliver Stone film that I don't feel like that about. They always seem to promise a lot more than they deliver.

Natural Born Killers is one of his, I dont remember struggling to get into that!

Wall Street and The Doors too.

Though I completely agree on this one, I dont think Ive ever sat through it.

Back