• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Maybe Rose is in last chance saloon, and therefore Poch is playing him in the harder games to see if he has a long term place in the club.

I would doubt that. We just signed Rose to a new 5 year deal in August (and that was even before his so-called 'massive improvement' this season), so I think thats an indication he figures in their long term plans.
(Personally, I think Poch took one look at Davies, who had arrived a week or two before, and thought 'Quick, we better get Rose signed to a long term extention, pronto! (Just kidding! :)))

Btw, in a similiar way, I don't believe the theory held by some that the reason Townsend is starting over Lamela is to put Townsend in the shop window for the summer. You are right, none of us really know, but rather than sinister theories I tend to believe that managers nearly always just play their best eleven which gives them the best chance to win...especially a team chasing Top 4.

Last edited:
Hmmm, i don't know. A couple of plausible explanations could be: Davies lost Siggurdsson when he made it 3-2 at the Lane; maybe Poch is keen to reward loyalty and service, and Rose is benefitting from being an established player whilst Davies is in a position of having to 'catch up' and establish himself; Davies is in a position of starting behind Rose as he joined the club and Rose was established number 1, and Davies' form in general hasn't warranted him overtaking Rose and becoming number 1; maybe Rose is in last chance saloon, and therefore Poch is playing him in the harder games to see if he has a long term place in the club.

Not saying any of the above are the reasons, just that they are plausible speculations. I don't know why Rose is ahead of Davies, but I rate the latter as slightly superior to the former, so therefore its going to be difficult for me to offer an answer. Certainly Poch is starting Rose in the 'bigger' games; of that there can be little doubt.

I would also challenge as to wether Rose is the one charging forwards; as previously stated I think Davies efforts in this area are overlooked; whilst secondly one could postulate that if the general consensus is correct, that Rose and Davies have differing core skills, they may then operate under different instructions and be seen as the better option in certain conditions.

Well In the friday presser, poch labelled Rose the best left back in the country this season so I reckon that explains his reasoning

Really?? that's not the impression I get from the last few pages of this thread; not to mention stats...
To be fair I haven't really been keeping up to date with this thread so if not then I'm glad, was the perception earlier on in the season for sure. But I think Davies is over rated defensively and visa versa for Rose so glad if this is being recognised...

That game isn't doing him any favours for his Spurs career though - we don't play 3cbs and Israel have been poor,he's hardly been tested...

not the first time he's played centre back. he's played as a centre half in a 4 at the back aswell and also been solid. Everytime i've seen him play for Wales he's been exceptional at centre back. He also played there at times for Swansea and Laudrup said it was his best position.

not the first time he's played centre back. he's played as a centre half in a 4 at the back aswell and also been solid. Everytime i've seen him play for Wales he's been exceptional at centre back. He also played there at times for Swansea and Laudrup said it was his best position.
Playing Cb for Wales in internationals mostly against opposition not of PL standard isn't the same as playing there for Spurs. Did Swansea play a flat 4 under Laudrup or 3 at the back? Either way I just don't see him featuring as a Cb for us bar an injury crisis or for a few minutes towards end of a game when changing formation...

Playing Cb for Wales in internationals mostly against opposition not of PL standard isn't the same as playing there for Spurs. Did Swansea play a flat 4 under Laudrup or 3 at the back? Either way I just don't see him featuring as a Cb for us bar an injury crisis or for a few minutes towards end of a game when changing formation...

If we strengthen at centre back, I'd cash in on Vertonghen - Davies can quite easily be centre half/left back cover.

I guess he would be more comfortable covering the wide areas than your average CB. I can't ever see us going for the system tbh, but nice to know we have the personel to switch to it if the need arise (tactically speaking).

Another solid performance from him as a centre half.

Yes, I saw the Israel v Wales game live and Davies looked very solid in central defence partnering Williams.

Two other former Spurs players also featured for Wales - Chris Gunter at right back and Gareth Bale who's assist and two goals won the game.

Thought Davies had a decent game at left CB. With little left to play for, would love see him in a back 3... Dier - Vert/Fazio - Davies and then using Walkar and Rose as wingbacks to finally give us some width

Have been really unimpressed by Davies so far . He looks shaky defending and offers nothing going forward . Rose has been much better.

That being said, he hasn't had a proper run in , and he is still young . But for 10 million I expected more.

Have been really unimpressed by Davies so far . He looks shaky defending and offers nothing going forward . Rose has been much better.

That being said, he hasn't had a proper run in , and he is still young . But for 10 million I expected more.
I don't think he's a great full back for our system, Rose is superior by some way at the moment. That's not a slant on him, I can see what he offers plus he is still young and is much a compliment to Rose as anything.

As for yesterday I thought he did well but wasn't really tested much. But what he had to do he did well...

I don't think he's a great full back for our system, Rose is superior by some way at the moment. That's not a slant on him, I can see what he offers plus he is still young and is much a compliment to Rose as anything.

As for yesterday I thought he did well but wasn't really tested much. But what he had to do he did well...

Wasn't it his vertically-looped header from a corner - instead of clearing it out of the box - that all-but led to Burnley grabbing a late winner?

Yeah he bad a decent game at CB, in our system (although we didn't play like that against Burnley) he probably makes a better CB than he does a full-back.

Back