• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Baseball Season

It’s such a HUGE subject in America at the minute. I read up abit more last night and watched news snippets on YouTube and there was one interesting view that got me.

They said that if you listed what can be done to start repaying the treatment of the indigenous renaming sports teams would be the last thing of importance. It’s actually a “what next” moment, so you have renamed the Washington Redskins, what next? Is that all you are going to do? Not repay the millions/billions of pounds in lost land and revenues that the indigenous would have lost from stealing their land? Re address the balance on what was lost? Nope we will just get the Indians to remove the term from their name.

I would say in the fight to recognise the atrocities that native Americans suffered the efforts should be directed on a lot more vital actions

I completely understand why Washington ditched the name “Redskins”. Sounds problematic at best and offensive at worst. Cleveland Indians is slightly different IMO and was surprised they changed it. I’ve noticed companies like Amazon and Disney kick off expositions and company briefings by announcing they are standing on former Indian land. Ok fine, but if you feel so guilty about taking the land form them then why don’t you hand it back to them? I’m sure the Native Americans would prefer to have their land back then some token gesture/announcement :D

As for baseball, I really got into MLB, NFL and NBA around 2002/2003 when Spurs were rubbish and wanted to follow other sports and root for teams who were actually successful. Don’t really have a team but I loosely followed the Yankees, Braves and Marlins. Seems like the Dodgers have been the team to beat for the past few seasons. I was really happy for the Cubs when they finally broke the curse in 2016.

I completely understand why Washington ditched the name “Redskins”. Sounds problematic at best and offensive at worst. Cleveland Indians is slightly different IMO and was surprised they changed it. I’ve noticed companies like Amazon and Disney kick off expositions and company briefings by announcing they are standing on former Indian land. Ok fine, but if you feel so guilty about taking the land form them then why don’t you hand it back to them? I’m sure the Native Americans would prefer to have their land back then some token gesture/announcement :D

As for baseball, I really got into MLB, NFL and NBA around 2002/2003 when Spurs were rubbish and wanted to follow other sports and root for teams who were actually successful. Don’t really have a team but I loosely followed the Yankees, Braves and Marlins. Seems like the Dodgers have been the team to beat for the past few seasons. I was really happy for the Cubs when they finally broke the curse in 2016.

Absolutely spot on

The Cubs broke their curse against the Indians which was a choker as we were 3-1 up in the series

Im not really into NFL TBH even with the games at WHL. I saw a thing on the news about how the game could be in danger because now a load of pros, current and ex are claiming not to remember games which makes sense when you have a 20 stone tank hitting you like a truck.

NBA wise I loved the Utah Jazz in the day, Malone and Stockon, was never a MJ fan

I don’t follow NFL as closely as I used to, but yes, I’ve read the long term popularity of the sport could be in jeopardy as fewer children will play the sport due to the problems with concussions. It’s a violent sport for sure and I don’t know how they solve that. Sadly, some ex players have long term brain injuries and some have even succumbed to them and have even took their own lives.

I used to follow American sports a lot more when I was unattached, but it’s hard to subject the missus to 9 hours of NFL or 3.5 hours of baseball after watching football all weekend. I still follow the results of them but baseball is always on at inconvenient times, especially the playoffs. Always found the playoffs are somewhat of a lottery after such a long, gruelling season, quite often the best team doesn’t win the World Series, just whoever is in the best form at the time.

Remove all helmets and padding, like rugger buggers and Aussie Rules.

I don’t follow rugby, but don’t they have issues with concussions as well? At the end of the day, like boxing, I don’t know what more you can do to make certain sports safer. As long as the participants are fully aware of the dangers then it’s up to them if they want to take part. I never fancied boxing for that specific reason.

Cleveland get back to 1-1 against the Yankies, that will do me anything to beat the sweep haha. Back to Cleveland for a 2 game hit, come on

I don’t follow rugby, but don’t they have issues with concussions as well? At the end of the day, like boxing, I don’t know what more you can do to make certain sports safer. As long as the participants are fully aware of the dangers then it’s up to them if they want to take part. I never fancied boxing for that specific reason.

The Steve Thompson documentary was revealing. It is called head on and will be on BBC catch-up.

He has early onset dementia. He reckons he would have had 90000 brain rattling collisions in his rugby career. Many of them would be in training.

He wants to see a huge reduction in contact outside of matches, and a longer break for players who receive a concussion, and also regular brain scans.

None of these will kill the game.

NFL is an amazing game to watch, incredible athletes. But I only really watch the Super Bowl.

Just wow, 5-3 down into the 9th innings and Cleveland hustle 3 to win 6-5 against the mighty Yankies, the dream is on

Padres knocking off the Dodgers is a bit of turn up.

Wonder if not having to play the wildcard series isn't always for the best? Other than Houston they're all heading the way of the wildcard team.

Padres knocking off the Dodgers is a bit of turn up.

Wonder if not having to play the wildcard series isn't always for the best? Other than Houston they're all heading the way of the wildcard team.

I think it's good to keep on the roll for sure, Cleveland swept their play off and game in hot, Yankees have been cold recently and it's showing, they likely still progress but I think you are right.

The Astros are just so strong so explains that too.

Just to throw in, the SF Giants of 2010, 2012 and 2014 were superb. Scrappy and gorgeous. We also had a massive season last season but alas, could not hold momentum. In those three world series wins noted, we sort of stumbled in and got hot in playoffs. Dodgers were always going to choke.

Just to throw in, the SF Giants of 2010, 2012 and 2014 were superb. Scrappy and gorgeous. We also had a massive season last season but alas, could not hold momentum. In those three world series wins noted, we sort of stumbled in and got hot in playoffs. Dodgers were always going to choke.

Our season looks done but we were predicted bottom of division, won it, won play off and took Yankies all the way with youngest side in baseball....proud

Back