• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB & Spurs Tactics and Formations discussion thread

Where do we think Sturridge would fit in, if the rumours are true?

Anyone think that AVB might be interested in trying Bale at LB rather than off a striker? 4-3-3 would give him plenty of space to run into and his best assets maybe wasted that far forwards.

Obvious answer is right side of attack for Sturridge, going by how he used him at Chelsea. And it worked to good effect for Sturridge, not sure how good for the side though (such a selfish player!).

I can imagine Bale working from LB, always have. From what I understand of AVBs system though its about using the wide players A LOT and making/finding space for them to play in as well. I think he would be better in attack, with the freedom of that half of the pitch to exploit

Dont forget with a narrow(ish) midifeld 3 he will have a lot of space to us

I can imagine Bale working from LB, always have. From what I understand of AVBs system though its about using the wide players A LOT and making/finding space for them to play in as well. I think he would be better in attack, with the freedom of that half of the pitch to exploit

Dont forget with a narrow(ish) midifeld 3 he will have a lot of space to us

How do you think Bale will better in this system than his performance in the second half of last season when he was cutting in and drifting whilst Lennon was out?

It will be organised, and therefore more effective.

We saw at times last season it can work to great effect. Problem was, IMO, the team (tactics/shape/whatever you want to call it) wasnt set up to operate around his movements.

So he would drift in centrally, and we would just be narrow, devoid of width or options. I got so sick of seeing Bale/Ade/VDV all standing a few yards apart passing to each other...

AVB sets the side up so the midfield feed the wide men very regularly, pushing the ball from flank to flank and stretching play - opening up space all over the place. And as a wide man moves in to exploit this, a central midfielder or full back goes wide to occupy the vacant area - keeping shape, keeping spaces available and maintaining options...

Where do we think Sturridge would fit in, if the rumours are true?

i don't think they're true - just lazy Journalism

i don't know a single Chelsea fan who rates Sturridge tbh (granted that's not the biggest or brightest pool of opinions)

wouldn't hurt to get in an English player mind - what with all the foreign players being linked

It will be organised, and therefore more effective.

We saw at times last season it can work to great effect. Problem was, IMO, the team (tactics/shape/whatever you want to call it) wasnt set up to operate around his movements.

So he would drift in centrally, and we would just be narrow, devoid of width or options. I got so sick of seeing Bale/Ade/VDV all standing a few yards apart passing to each other...

AVB sets the side up so the midfield feed the wide men very regularly, pushing the ball from flank to flank and stretching play - opening up space all over the place. And as a wide man moves in to exploit this, a central midfielder or full back goes wide to occupy the vacant area - keeping shape, keeping spaces available and maintaining options...

Interesting. I thought that our front 3-4 were very well organised in the first half of last season and that the inter-play between Lennon, Bale and VdV was exceptional on occasions. We obviously faired less well in the second half of the season but whether this was because of the general dip in form, a run of playing betters opponents, a change in tactics, Lennon being out injured or a combination of the above is difficult to say. I always suspected that Bale being given license to roam and being played on the right was an attempt by Redknapp to develop him as a player, like when Jol played Lennon on the right.

Do you think he will try to play a pivot midfield and how do you think Huddlestone and Sandro would cope with this?

Lennons absence meant we were reliant on Bale for width, so when bale came inside we were so narrow it was ridiculous - without really doing anything to compensate. It worked against Norwich when we were desperately short of options, after then though it clearly needed refinement which was never found.

Ive no issue with Redknapp letting him grow as a player at all, I just wish he had organised the endeavor more.

Based upon what Ive read the AVB midfield is described as rotating, I think means basically that the three form around whoever has the ball, if I get the ball you and the other give me options for a forward pass - as you get the ball I move on...

Not rocket science of course.

I do think basically all our midfielders can work that kind of system well. I look forward to a midfield working the ball forwards as a unit.

I also think Livermore could be the surprise package of the AVB team next season

I have to say I'm intrigued on who AVB decides to give a chance to out of the 'outcasts' or fringe players.

I'm specifically thinking of the following:

* GDS
* Jenas
* Rose (well he was pilloried before the end of last season, perhaps unfairly)
* Bentley (well I wonder if Crouch and Pav would have benefitted from his crosses from deep??:-k)
* THudd (perhaps even more important if Modric goes??)
* Bassong (he is a CB with pace after all...)
* Falque
* Carroll
* Khumalo (remember him????)
* Bostock (remember him????)
* Kane
* Townsend

What do people think will happen with these players? I suspect we might see one or two surprises...

I have to say I'm intrigued on who AVB decides to give a chance to out of the 'outcasts' or fringe players.

* GDS
* Jenas
* Bentley (well I wonder if Crouch and Pav would have benefitted from his crosses from deep??:-k)
* Falque
* Carroll
* Kane
* Townsend

What do people think will happen with these players? I suspect we might see one or two surprises...

Seems like GDS could have done a job but since he seems to be going it's like he won't get the chance to.

Rose would be a good back up to BAE in AVB's system I'd say.

Bentley, not a chance. Won't suit it. Hudd very well could and I hope we don't let him go. Khumalo probably not. Townsend maybe could be back up left winger.

I think some surprising re-additions to the fold could be Jenas and Bassong. Jenas not as a sure starter, but as a squad option/back up to Gylfi, playing the breaking forward from midfield role. He is tidy in possession, and if our game is based around quick pressing, he will definitely have the fitness to do it. Bassong has the pace to play a high line, and from reading Wolves fans of him, they seemed to appreciate that he always attempted to pass the ball rather than hoof it, so he seems to have that in him. And maybe Tom Carroll could get a chance to impress in pre-season and be a part of the squad. He would have the technical skill to bring creativity to the midfield.

* GDS
* Jenas
* Falque
* Carroll
* Kane
* Townsend

Thudd is an established first team player, or was so before his injury. Will be great to have him back again.

Other than that I think Townsend is the only one on that list we might see a bit more of next season. The rest aren't good enough or not ready for first team action yet imo.

One thing that might work against the return of Jenas, Bentley, Bassong, etc. (quite aside from whether you think they're good enough or not) is the fact that AVB will - in all likelihood - want to bring in a few new signings. Which means we'll have to free up some space (both in the wage budget and the 25-man squad). Which means players that didn't feature last season may be considered surplus to requirements.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that. AVB may come in with an "everyone gets a chance to prove themself" philosophy, which is fair enough too. We'll just have to wait and see. Could be an interesting couple of months ahead...

One thing that might work against the return of Jenas, Bentley, Bassong, etc. (quite aside from whether you think they're good enough or not) is the fact that AVB will - in all likelihood - want to bring in a few new signings. Which means we'll have to free up some space (both in the wage budget and the 25-man squad). Which means players that didn't feature last season may be considered surplus to requirements.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that. AVB may come in with an "everyone gets a chance to prove themself" philosophy, which is fair enough too. We'll just have to wait and see. Could be an interesting couple of months ahead...

To correct myself after reading your post.

I think Jenas might be able to do a job. I will always think that there was a real player in him somewhere, just maybe AVB could be the manager to bring out what Jenas has to offer. He is tidy on the ball, athletic and a hard working player. Could do a job under AVB I think and imo he's a player that could benefit from some really structured coaching and instructions.

Bentley, Bassong and the rest are imo not good enough.

Sign a goalkeeper, defence is sorted, and with midfield options of Sandro backed up by Parker, Modric or Moutinho backed up by Huddlestone, and Siggy backed up by Jenas, we are looking very good there.

Then we just need to re-invent the strikeforce and we will be looking good. Bale will be dangerous high up the pitch, so it's mainly in those attacking areas that we will need to strengthen. We should have the money to do that, so we should be looking good.

Really actually think Jenas would be a good player under AVB. Pressing high is what he is all about, it would surely make the most of his physical attributes if he can come back fit after his injury. He's always been a good finisher when he gets in position and is tidy retaining possession - AVB likes patience and retaining possession when we have the ball and Jenas is a good decision maker. May be worth keeping him as an option rather than selling him to bring someone else in for a similar fee - unless we can get someone of similar quality to be willing to not play every game.

The most pressing part of the squad is the attack and I'd be very interested to see who is targeted now.

I agree with BOL and Braineclispe in that I think Jenas has potentially a role to play; in fact players like hime and Gylfi (if he signs) may be even more important if we struggle to get the kind of prolofic striker we need as goals from midfield will no doubt become even more important....

Back