• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Audio Video Help

ArcspacE

Banned
Ok, this is really confusing and having browsed for ages on the net looking for some help, thought I'd give it a try at no better place than this

I have the following components and want to achieve sound via my home theatre system - HT

- Sony Bravia HD 46inch TV - EX520 - (TV)
- PS3 slim - (PS3)
- HD satellite reciever (SAT)
- Sony Home Theatre 5.1 - TZ530 - (HT)

My HT is rather basic and only has audio input at the back for a double connection (white and red) - no optical or HDMI in. It has however and HDMI out.

I can connect my satellite reciever sound to my HT but then my PS3 doesn't run from the HT.

Is there any way possible to connect my PS3, Satellite and TV to all run sound through my HT at the same time?

Do I have to run everything to the TV first and then back to the HT? Surely I'd lose sound quality?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
How many inputs does your HT have? (Sound and Picture)

How are you connecting your PS3 to the HT?

My setup is:

- Sony Bravia (no sound comes out of this EVER)
- Onkyo 5.1 (2* optical inputs for PS3 and Sky, 2* HDMI inputs for picture from PS3 and Sky and 1* HDMI output for picture to TV)
- PS3 (1* optical, 1* HDMI outputs)
- Sky (1* optical, 1* HDMI outputs)

You shouldn't run anything to the TV really, except your HDMI out from your HT for the PS3/SAT picture.

Last edited:
As I said my HT is not very sophisticated and only has one unput - the double white and red cable. No optical or HDMI.

My PS3 isn't connected to my HT - there is no connection available on the HT for that. I thought I'd run the PS3 to my TV first (via HDMI) and then to the HT from the TV

Fcuk

As I said my HT is not very sophisticated and only has one unput - the double white and red cable. No optical or HDMI.

My PS3 isn't connected to my HT - there is no connection available on the HT for that. I thought I'd run the PS3 to my TV first (via HDMI) and then to the HT from the TV

Fcuk

No can do buddy guy.

You only have an HDMI Output on your receiver.

Just get a new receiver as your experience with films and games will be soooooooo much better

What if I run everything (sound) to the TV and then to the HT?

Here are the audio connections for your TV:

2 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
1 x Digital audio output (optical) (TOSLINK) - Rear,
1 x Audio line-in (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Rear,
1 x Audio line-out / headphones (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Side

You can connect both your boxes to the "2 x Audio line-in"

But you only have "1 x Digital audio output" which is optical.

Your HT does not have an Optical input.

So no.

But my PS3 and Satellite reciever are both connected to my TV via HDMI cables only which also carries their sound

Can I not then run the sound from my TV to the HT via the red and white cables?

But my PS3 and Satellite reciever are both connected to my TV via HDMI cables only which also carries their sound

Can I not then run the sound from my TV to the HT via the red and white cables?

You could, but your TV does not have a "red and white cables" OUTPUT though, does it?

As far as I can see, you only have 1 Optical OUTPUT

The "red and white cables" connections are for INPUTS

Makes no odds. You have high definition components and you want to output in stereo sound!!

It's going to be poor anyway.

You really need a new receiver to get decent sound.

On your Onkyo Southstand, is the receiver part built into the subwoofer?

Yes.

I've had big separates systems in the past, but just wanted something cheap and cheerful

The good thing about the Onkyo is it has loads of connections (HDMI and optical) and supports the latest True-HD blah blah blah

You can get the Sony ones with the Sony Smart tv now I believe.

Someone I know has the BDVE380, but they have yet to get a 3D tele but the sound seems decent.

Can be had for around ?ú270 I believe, there is another the E280 for ?ú200, has two or three things the e380 doesn't have

Thanks, Hudd

Southstand - if a purchase a proper receiver (which seems inevitable) could I then connect my current speakers to it and simply run the sound from my current small receiver (DVD player) to the new one via HDMI for picture and otpical for sound?

Was thinking of this one

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...1&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=STRDH520

Only problem is - I don't see a connection for a sub at the back? My current speakers have plastic clip-in connections to the receiver

sony-str-dh520_ipgh3w0937574.jpg

Last edited:
Back