• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

At last - welcome to the new Nasty Tottenham.

Sam Allardyce tells Sunderland not to 'lose the plot' like Tottenham

Sam Allardyce says Sunderland must avoid 'losing the plot like Tottenham' when Chelsea visit on Saturday.

Spurs had nine players booked and are now up on an FA charge of failing to control their players after their Premier League title hopes were ended during a fractious 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge on Monday night.

Allardyce believes the pressure told and has warned his own side any loss of temper could deal a damaging blow to their chances of survival this season.

Sunderland go into the weekend a point behind fourth-bottom Saudi Sportswashing Machine with a game in hand, and their manager said: "You saw it in Tottenham, I think, on Monday night when they lost the plot. We can't afford to do that. We have to stay focused from start to finish.

"Tottenham lost a goal then lost the plot mentally, so then all of a sudden, all the talent they have in that side just went by the way and they ended up not only losing the game, but doing the strangest thing I've ever seen a Tottenham side do, and that's get nine players booked and make some quite ferocious tackles at the same time.

"That shows you. What happened to Tottenham mentally, we cannot afford for that to happen to our team.

"Perhaps it's because they are, as Mauricio Pochettino says, such a young team that they in the end, couldn't quite cope with that pressure and lost the plot.

"That's the last reaction we want from our team in any of the last three games. We want to be aggressive, yes, we want controlled aggression, passion, desire, commitment, yes. But we don't want to go over the top and lose control of ourselves."

Jermain Defoe's late penalty rescued a point at Stoke last time out, and Allardyce knows the striker's 14 league goals this season have kept Sunderland afloat.

He said: "Jermain's happy to be playing every week and playing every week makes him a little bit sharper in front of goal. There's no doubt without him, we would have been struggling an awful lot more than we are now points-wise."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...underland-not-to-lose-the-plot-like-tottenham

-----------------------------

Didn't know we lost to Chelsea. Anyway, we have set the bar high for everyone to follow and not to follow.:D

I prefer the Tottenham that wins football matches by scoring more goals than the other side.

You mean the 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 circus ? No thanks ! The last time we won a match 4-3, we inspired our opponents (Leicester) more than ourselves. And as Leicester have proven since then, you only need a lot of 1-0 wins to win the league title.

You mean the 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 circus ? No thanks ! The last time we won a match 4-3, we inspired our opponents (Leicester) more than ourselves. And as Leicester have proven since then, you only need a lot of 1-0 wins to win the league title.

(A 1-0 win still involves scoring more goals than the other team)

While mondays game went a bit over the top, it's good to see that we have that side of the game as well.
Fergie's "Lads, it's Tottenham"-teamtalk would never have worked against this side.

Now, we do need to learn how to harniss this "power", but if we want to be successful, we need to stand up to the challenges. Chelsea invited to a dance, and we accepted, gladly. Previously it has been like a spotted teenager with a squeeky voice squaring up to a roughneck Harley Davidson-riding biker, but this time the biker-freak met Chuck Norris-Tottenham.

Mark Clattenburg obviously had his intentions, he wanted to let the game flow, but he failed miserably quite early, and never managed to regain control. If we had been more experienced, we would still have managed to play with that level of intensity and toughness, but we've got a young and passionate side who got carried away with emotion.

Now, if you ask me whether I would prefer to see the Spurs-side who took the 3-0 lead against Manchester United, and lost 3-5, or the Spurs-side who took the 2-0 lead against Chelsea and drew 2-2, it is a no-brainer.

We will learn. We will get better at this. And we will be champions.

While mondays game went a bit over the top, it's good to see that we have that side of the game as well.
Fergie's "Lads, it's Tottenham"-teamtalk would never have worked against this side.

Now, we do need to learn how to harniss this "power", but if we want to be successful, we need to stand up to the challenges. Chelsea invited to a dance, and we accepted, gladly. Previously it has been like a spotted teenager with a squeeky voice squaring up to a roughneck Harley Davidson-riding biker, but this time the biker-freak met Chuck Norris-Tottenham.

Mark Clattenburg obviously had his intentions, he wanted to let the game flow, but he failed miserably quite early, and never managed to regain control. If we had been more experienced, we would still have managed to play with that level of intensity and toughness, but we've got a young and passionate side who got carried away with emotion.

Now, if you ask me whether I would prefer to see the Spurs-side who took the 3-0 lead against Manchester United, and lost 3-5, or the Spurs-side who took the 2-0 lead against Chelsea and drew 2-2, it is a no-brainer.

An excellent post!

Bravo.

Indeed we will. Well said! And we will be champions in a year where others can't levy the allegation that we only won because the usual suspects were crap. Not that we would care - if you win it you win it - but when we do win it it will be by beating allcomers and leaving no one in doubt that we are here to stay. COYS!!

Don't like unnecessary animosity. Though Chelski in this instance were not victims, they fueled the fire. Think it's still to early to tell if this game was something positive or negative.

On a side note Roy Keane was very admired by many even though he got himself sent off for reckless tackles and disproportionate aggression at times.
I think he was more admired for some of his other qualities which are often overlooked when talking about Keane in retrospect. The man rarely wasted a pass and his decision making with the ball was flawless. The drive, determination and agression just added to the package. Yes he was a nutter but he was also probably the main reason Utd dominated in that peroid.

I'm hoping Dier can be our Keane (he needs to work on his passing a bit) though he has the reckless tackles on rodent faced chavs perfected.

That is the first time ( and probably last time) I agree with what Fat Sam as ever said.

I think he was more admired for some of his other qualities which are often overlooked when talking about Keane in retrospect. The man rarely wasted a pass and his decision making with the ball was flawless. The drive, determination and agression just added to the package. Yes he was a nutter but he was also probably the main reason Utd dominated in that peroid.

I'm hoping Dier can be our Keane (he needs to work on his passing a bit) though he has the reckless tackles on rodent faced chavs perfected.

I agree. This nastiness on it's own is not enough.

But Keane was nasty at times. As was Scholes. Cantona kung-fu kicked a fan. Gerrard has put in plenty of reckless tackles. Beckham needlesssly got himself sent off for England... And that's just a couple of examples and limiting myself to England.

The point I suppose is that there doesn't seem to be anything about that kind of nastiness that prevents a team or a player from being outstanding. And very few players manage to walk the tight rope of controlled aggression all the time

I agree. This nastiness on it's own is not enough.

But Keane was nasty at times. As was Scholes. Cantona kung-fu kicked a fan. Gerrard has put in plenty of reckless tackles. Beckham needlesssly got himself sent off for England... And that's just a couple of examples and limiting myself to England.

The point I suppose is that there doesn't seem to be anything about that kind of nastiness that prevents a team or a player from being outstanding. And very few players manage to walk the tight rope of controlled aggression all the time
For something far less "serious" than Lamela did, and about the same as Walker did....

That is the first time ( and probably last time) I agree with what Fat Sam as ever said.
That's just another example of Sam saying how much better he is than everyone else, without actually doing it on the pitch. We didn't lose the plot, the plot was take a kicking or give it back.

That's just another example of Sam saying how much better he is than everyone else, without actually doing it on the pitch. We didn't lose the plot, the plot was take a kicking or give it back.

Disagree, but we all have different opinions on that and its been flogged to death in the other threads.

We lost our tactical hold on the game somewhat; we werent as vibrant going forward for example, hardly got in behind imo.
I thought we started to look lethargic - perhaps to do with the hard-pressing/training catching up with us?

Nothing to do with the bruising taclkes imo - we arent the only side to concede a late goal to drop 2 points at the bridge this season...and we DID NOT 'lose the plot!'

I think Chelsea turned it on in the second half, Hazard changed the game. We were struggling to cope with the champions at their place, and some of our rash tackles at the end stopped their counter attacks and prevented them scoring the winner.

Good words from Poch:

"I've always heard in the last two years people who write books or speak about the past say Tottenham were soft and things like that," the Argentine added.

"Now we start to show character. Maybe we crossed the line -- and it's important to manage better our energy for next season.

"I think this season we showed we are not a nice team to play against. Not any more. I don't think our opponents like to play against us because we show passion. Maybe in this instance we showed too much passion.

"This season we have had a very good energy between our players, staff and fans.

"If you want to win titles and keep your position a long time, you need to show passion. Maybe we crossed the line but I can understand my players, my staff, my supporters."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/tott...o-longer-soft-vs-chelsea-mauricio-pochettino?

Good words from Poch:

"I've always heard in the last two years people who write books or speak about the past say Tottenham were soft and things like that," the Argentine added.

"Now we start to show character. Maybe we crossed the line -- and it's important to manage better our energy for next season.

"I think this season we showed we are not a nice team to play against. Not any more. I don't think our opponents like to play against us because we show passion. Maybe in this instance we showed too much passion.

"This season we have had a very good energy between our players, staff and fans.

"If you want to win titles and keep your position a long time, you need to show passion. Maybe we crossed the line but I can understand my players, my staff, my supporters."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/tott...o-longer-soft-vs-chelsea-mauricio-pochettino?

Sums it up and is what I have said earlier, there is nothing wrong with aggression but it has to be managed/controlled better.

Back