• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Article: Should the Lane be made safer? Safe Standing Roadshow

Should we introduce safe standing at WHL?

• Yes

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • We should trial it and implement if safe

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • No, I don't believe it is safe(r)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No, I have other reasons

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
The Park Lane stands all game anyway.

Upper tier (where I sit/stand) do not stand. The stewards have mor eleniency to the park lane lower and east stand lower. The upper just gets it from the stewards

I think its more dangerous to stand on a train or tube than it is at a football match.

How many times have you seen people just fall over standing in the tube?

I want standing.

I'd agree you're more likely to fall over on the tube, however more dangerous?

Fall on the tube, you fall over on the spot.

Fall in standing football stands, you can fall down a fudge load of levels.

Would be interesting what the 'other reasons' have been by those voting for it..

i think that standing areas make it to easy for unsavoury activity (and smoking) as people won't be easily tracked by their seat number as they are now, i think it may encourage some of the cnuts back into the ground

i'm a hypocrite though, I go to St James' Park every now and then and always stand

I'd agree you're more likely to fall over on the tube, however more dangerous?

Fall on the tube, you fall over on the spot.

Fall in standing football stands, you can fall down a fudge load of levels.

I guess what im trying to say is with the new style arrangements for safe standing youre more likely to fall standing on a tube than you are to be falling at a football match. Actually there is more chance that you are crushed on the tube than at a game where the new arrangements would be in place.

The standing arrangements its kind of impossible to fall down a few levels (providing they have those type of railings as in the video above).

I guess what im trying to say is with the new style arrangements for safe standing youre more likely to fall standing on a tube than you are to be falling at a football match. Actually there is more chance that you are crushed on the tube than at a game where the new arrangements would be in place.

The standing arrangements its kind of impossible to fall down a few levels (providing they have those type of railings as in the video above).

That makes sense.

Makes the 'Standing will be safer because currently people stand anyway and are unsafe' angle a good one.

That makes sense.

Makes the 'Standing will be safer because currently people stand anyway and are unsafe' angle a good one.

You sarcy ahaha

I just really dont see why it cant be done - people even stand in concerts etc. Hvae you not seen how crushed people get at Glastonbury etc? The change in rules was correct at the time but with new technology and new procedures and regulations the game should evolve with it. Its the whole goal line technology angle too.

You sarcy ahaha

I just really dont see why it cant be done - people even stand in concerts etc. Hvae you not seen how crushed people get at Glastonbury etc? The change in rules was correct at the time but with new technology and new procedures and regulations the game should evolve with it. Its the whole goal line technology angle too.

That wasn't actually me being sarcy, sorry if that's how it came across. :p

I think Gary Mabbutt came out in support of this idea a few years ago.

I think that if it adds to the atmosphere then t'rrfic, but I some how doubt Mr Levy is likely to be on board with both parts of "greater capacity and cheaper tickets prices.".

I've voted, but its the 5th time now. Not really a valid poll is it? A rigged result is hardly legitimate. If this poll comes out less than 90% in favour ill be a monkeys uncle. Surprising as most forum dwellers love sitting down indoors.

I have a better poll question: should we

a. have compulsory sitting only
b. have compulsory sitting only but allow people stand unsafely and block people's views
c. have areas of safe standing, so people have a choice of sitting or standing without inconveniencing others
d. have compulsory standing only
e. return to old fashioned terraces with fencing

West Ham will consider safe standing areas in their Olympic Stadium plans

West Ham co-owner David Gold has told fans he is ready to explore the possibility of incorporating a 'safe standing' area at the Olympic Stadium.

The Hammers were this week chosen as the preferred bidder for the site in Stratford which hosted the Games in such spectacular style through the summer.

To a question posed by Twitter user @Jamie_Seagrave, asking if safe standing could be used, Gold responded: 'I do hope so.'

A 19-strong London Legacy Development Corporation board led by London mayor Boris Johnson unanimously agreed to make West Ham their first-rank bidder - hopefully signalling at least the beginning of the end of a still interminable legacy process.

But there is still plenty of hard talking to go on before West Ham move in, which is still not likely be until the 2016-17 season, if indeed it happens.

The Premier League and successive governments have until now also opposed any changes regarding standing areas to the Football Spectators Act 1989, brought in after the Hillsborough disaster which cost the lives of 96 Liverpool supporters in the Leppings Lane end of Sheffield Wednesday’s stadium

In October this year Aston Villa became the first Premier League club to publicly back a new campaign for trials of standing areas for fans in top-flight and Championship matches.

The campaign has been launched by the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and with Birmingham MP Roger Godsiff, Aston Villa and Peterborough have both given their support to calls for the Government to allow 'small-scale trials of safe standing areas'.

Peter Daykin, Safe Standing Coordinator at the FSF, said: 'For two decades since the Taylor Report, the overwhelming majority of football supporters have favoured a choice of standing and sitting at football, and fans continue to stand throughout all levels of the game today, even in the Premier League and Championship where it is against ground regulations and facilities are designed for sitting.

'Standing was outlawed on grounds of safety, and yet successive governments have agreed that standing is safe - it's hard not to when it is done perfectly safely every week at rugby grounds, lower league football grounds and in top football leagues all around the world.'

Last year the Hillsborough Family Support Group opposed any move to bring back standing areas.

HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall said then: 'The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums.

'People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law.'

Responding directly to the FSF campaign, a Premier League spokesman dismissed the idea.

He said: 'Since the introduction of all-seater stadia the supporter experience has improved significantly and we have seen more diverse crowds attending Premier League matches including more women and children.

'The police, safety officers and licensing authorities remain clear on this issue and have consistently informed us that crowd management has improved as a result of all-seater stadia being in place in the top two divisions in this country.

'We will not be encouraging the Government to change the law.'

In 2011, prior to their relegation to the fourth tier in Scotland, Rangers revealed they are 'willing to explore the possibility' of a safe-standing section at Ibrox. Celtic and Motherwell followed suit.

Scotland is not bound by the law which banned standing areas in top-flight football in England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2244621/West-Ham-want-introduce-safe-standing-Olympic-Stadium.html

I mention that I'll be in Mainz watching a game next weekend on facebook, pointing out how their 34,000 stadium has as good as 50% safe standing, and of course the only people to reply are Liverpool fans saying how standing at stadiums is a disgrace and should never be allowed and Hillsborough etc.

What on earth does Hillsborough have to do with safe standing? There was no safe standing at Hillsborough, and even if there was I doubt that would have helped much as there clearly were so many other things going on that day that led to the disaster.
I get so annoyed when that incident is going to be the only argument against safe standing.

Higher revenue for the clubs
Cheaper tickets -> more youth and fans with not so much money get to see the games -> the game back to the working class as it were.
Better atmosphere

Do they not want this? Is justice for the 96-tribalism going to what we base all definitions of stadium safety on?
They never have an argument, it's always the same: "remember we have a bloody past". Well, I am sorry, but that past is past and the world has both moved on and changed.

Rant over.

I mention that I'll be in Mainz watching a game next weekend on facebook, pointing out how their 34,000 stadium has as good as 50% safe standing, and of course the only people to reply are Liverpool fans saying how standing at stadiums is a disgrace and should never be allowed and Hillsborough etc.

What on earth does Hillsborough have to do with safe standing? There was no safe standing at Hillsborough, and even if there was I doubt that would have helped much as there clearly were so many other things going on that day that led to the disaster.
I get so annoyed when that incident is going to be the only argument against safe standing.

Higher revenue for the clubs
Cheaper tickets -> more youth and fans with not so much money get to see the games -> the game back to the working class as it were.
Better atmosphere

Do they not want this? Is justice for the 96-tribalism going to what we base all definitions of stadium safety on?
They never have an argument, it's always the same: "remember we have a bloody past". Well, I am sorry, but that past is past and the world has both moved on and changed.

Rant over.

Think you'll find that the vast majority of Liverpool fans - like the vast majority of fans of other clubs - are fully in favour of safe standing.

It's only one of the Hillsborough pressure groups that is against the idea.

Back