• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we out of the title race?

After losing to City, are we out of the title race?

• Yes, we're out of the title race

Votes: 51 60.7%
  • No, we can still win it

Votes: 33 39.3%

• Total voters
I just hope the result last night doesn't affect the players but spurs them on completely. Like someone said, until it's mathematically impossible we are not out of the title race. In fact I think I sort of prefer it like this, 8 points off, written completely out of it now, no pressure really.

Basically needs another run of 6 straight wins - but by looking at City's next 6 that might not even might a dint in the difference.

Wigan are not mathematically out of the title race. You've just got to consider the likelyhood of City dropping 9 pts more than we do between now and mid May.

If we went on an amazing run only dropping 10pts between now and the end of the season it would see us finish on 84pts. We'd then also need City to drop 19pts seeing there ppg go from 2.4 to 1.8 and Man Utd failing to take advantage of any of this. Pretty muchg over tbf.

For me, we were always challenging, but unlikely to win.

Yesterday's result highlighted one of the things you need to win the title that didn't go our way ... luck, if JD's effort went in, if the Ref had reacted to either of the two red card offenses by City players.

Reality now is, it's no longer in our hands, we can do our best from here on in to secure 3rd and put a gap between ourselves and Cheat$k (the two most important games for us will be Cheat$ki/Scum games where we can secure our CL place by good results there), and IF by some chance the Manchester clubs drop a bucketload of points, we are there to take advantage.

The fans need to realize, 3rd place (where Scum & Pool miss out on CL places), especially if we combine it with a decent FA Cup run is a truely incredible year.

Well said Raziel. Top four was the aim at the start of the season, and if we finish third I think it will represent a fantastic season. The fact that we're even now talking about a title challenge shows the progress we've made. If we finish third I would be delighted, and then depending on the points gap between us and the eventual champions, maybe next season we can talk about a realistic challenge.

Yesterday's result and the way it happened was a disaster. It was up there with some of my worst moments following Spurs, and there have been plenty. If we had won that match or even drawn it I'm convinced we would have won the title. Mad I know but that's how I felt when the final whistle went - we'd let history pass us by.

I think this will hit the spirits of the players very hard and I just hope we don't go into a downward spiral of poor results on the back of this.

Yesterday's result and the way it happened was a disaster. It was up there with some of my worst moments following Spurs, and there have been plenty. If we had won that match or even drawn it I'm convinced we would have won the title. Mad I know but that's how I felt when the final whistle went - we'd let history pass us by.

I think this will hit the spirits of the players very hard and I just hope we don't go into a downward spiral of poor results on the back of this.

Politely I have to say I disagree 100%. We matched a team with a perfect home record and were unlucky to lose, due to incompetent officiating, again.

The only points we have dropped since October are down to dodgy decisions. I think Harry and his staff will drill this into the players and their confidence will remain very high as a result.

Politely I have to say I disagree 100%. We matched a team with a perfect home record and were unlucky to lose, due to incompetent officiating, again.

The only points we have dropped since October are down to dodgy decisions. I think Harry and his staff will drill this into the players and their confidence will remain very high as a result.
Maybe, but if the fans feel like the title is out of reach then the players will probably think the same too. It can't but affect them that one week they are being talked about as contenders and then we're pretty much out of it.
Obviously I hope I'm wrong and maybe it's just my gloomy outlook on things today.

Maybe, but if the fans feel like the title is out of reach then the players will probably think the same too. It can't but affect them that one week they are being talked about as contenders and then we're pretty much out of it.
Obviously I hope I'm wrong and maybe it's just my gloomy outlook on things today.

It sounds like a serious case of the Monday's to me mate!

Mind you if the FA don't charge Balotelli and Lescott I will be tinkled off. (You just know they won't charge both of them.):mad:

I voted yes. Not necessarily because of yesterday because the players can take a lot from the comeback. But We have some tricky away games coming up. Can honestly see us not winning at Anfield and Arsenal, Liverpool seem to be bang up for it when they play the top sides at home. I've got a horrible feeling United will come to the lane and turn us over as well. We need to make sure we get 3rd. It would be a great season if we finish in the top 3.

What annoys me is we haven't even tried to get anyone apart from Remy. Two Januarys in a row we've been in a good position in the league and were not going to spend to strengthen.

I know man, it's getting really stupid, we should be all out trying to get quality signings, but Harry is content with what we have (facepalm smiley)

I don't feel we can win the league now, but we should certainly not be disappointed at the fact right now it looks as if we will finish third

Yes. We're not going to make up 9 points on Emirates Marketing Project and 6 on Man utd with our run of games. We'd need an almost perfect run from now to the end of the season.

Honestly though, I don't care. The aim this season was to get top 4. I still think finishing 4th would mean a good season. And 3rd or even 2nd would be a superb one.

I just hope the players take this setback as a motivating factor and go on a great run, rather than getting deflated and feeling sorry for themselves. It was a horrible way to lose and the worst I've felt from football for a long long time but the players looked like they'd just lost the champions league final there. Hope Redknapp picks them up.

It sounds like a serious case of the Monday's to me mate!

Mind you if the FA don't charge Balotelli and Lescott I will be tinkled off. (You just know they won't charge both of them.):mad:

I take no comfort in calling this one. The FA and Webb are gutless tossers.

I think Sunday's loss ended our hopes. We have a tough stretch coming up and we would have to be close to perfect the rest of the season. I am still obviously very happy with our position though and 3rd would be a great accomplishment. If we can finish as the top London club it would be a wonderful thing and barring a disaster I see no reason why we shouldn't.

Back