• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we bigger than...?

It was actually around 4,500, I remember being amazed at the time!

[h=1]Lowest attendance for Leeds loss[/h]Lowest attendance for a competitive game 5 May 1966

The lowest attendance for a competitive men's game at Highbury took place on May 5, 1966.

A mere 4,554 spectators turned up to watch the Division One clash with Leeds United, and by all accounts the ones that failed to show didn’t miss much.
Leeds ran out 3-0 winners thanks to two goals from Jim Storrie and one from Jimmy Greenhoff.
Arsenal were stuck in mid-table, finishing 14th at the end of the 1965/66 campaign. Two days after the defeat against Leeds, the Gunners beat Leicester City 1-0 in their final home game of the season.
The Yorkshire side were in second place when they faced Arsenal but their title hopes had gone with Liverpool already crowned as champions. Leeds held on to the runners-up spot despite a late challenge from Burnley

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/lowest-attendance-for-leeds-loss

Strangely enough for a Gooner site the article doesn't mention one of the main reasons for such a low attendance:

This shocking attendance was partly due to Liverpool's Cup Winners' Cup final with Dortmund being televised live at the same time, in an era when football matches on TV were few and far between, but is still a stark reminder to all Gooners that the good times shouldn't be taken for granted.

Read more at http://talksport.com/magazine/featu...ord-hampden-park-and-more#8uo8KuTTQBbfezt6.99

Naah........I'm sure they had a smaller gate than that!

but you may be right ;)

Doesn't matter, this is just a crown Liverpool fans cling onto. All that matters is the here and now.

Spurs are one of the bigger clubs by any number of measurements

- History, Income, Fanbase local and overseas, etc.

But to a few people's point, it doesn't matter, to us, we are the biggest club in the world and the only one that matters.

The only thing the debate brings up is how do we translate that "big" into success, how do we become a bigger, more successful club?

How do we define big.... For many years I saw Aston Villa as the mirror image of spurs. Good history, big fan base, stadium. Although they have more trophies we are undoubtedly bigger at the moment

Deloitte Football Money League 2013

Real Madrid. €512.6m
FC Barcelona. €483m
Manchester United. €395.9m
Bayern Munich. €368.4m
Chelsea. €322.6m
Arsenal. €290.3m
Emirates Marketing Project. €285.6m
AC Milan. €256.9m
Liverpool. €233.2m
Juventus. €195.4m
Borussia Dortmund. €189.1m
Internazionale. €185.9m
Tottenham Hotspur. €178.2m
Schalke 04. €174.5m
Napoli. €148.4m
Olympique de Marseille. €135.7m
Olympique Lyonnais. €131.9m
Hamburger SV. €121.1m
AS Roma. €115.9m
Saudi Sportswashing Machine. €115.3m

View attachment 1650

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_major_honours_won

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

It's all subjective and it's not all about money but I would say that list is almost spot on as for as where I would rank us. There are obviously different facets to this like players now come to us before Liverpool because recently we have been more successful but as far as worldwide support they still smash us

It's all subjective and it's not all about money but I would say that list is almost spot on as for as where I would rank us. There are obviously different facets to this like players now come to us before Liverpool because recently we have been more successful but as far as worldwide support they still smash us

yeah....well offcourse...so much glamour attached to Liverpool....The Mersey...The Beatles...

all we are famous for are riots...LOL..

but despite that ...there's a club there called Hotspur...Tottenham Hotspur...and we are the famous Spurs...from White Hart Lane....

We are actually joint 5th biggest club in England in terms of trophies won. Only Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea have won more than us across their history domestically and in continental terms. We have won 24 major trophies as have Everton. These stats is even giving Arsenal the Inter Cities Fairs Trophy and Aston Villa the Intertoto and Chelsea the Full Members Cup whereas we haven't won those 'minor' trophies. So if you concentrated just purely on the 3 trophies + Charity Shield here in England and the european/continental trophies available, we are the 4th biggest side in the country.

Big post necessitates my quoting only a part of it,, but I agree with the rest. We've been comedic underachievers for decades, but even after all that we're still apparently 5th in the all time table, so there's clearly still potential in us for a glory period or two. But it still pains me that Chelsea have moved above us in the trophy list, those bastards. Damn.

I think "bigness" is significant to us. Bigness is often a deciding factor in retaining star players. E.g., Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, ManU, and, sign, Chelsea usually hang on to their star players as they wish. These clubs do not have to worry about losing their star players against their will. In contrast, Spurs have to fight yearly to keep the best players from being poached by "bigger" clubs. It is a vicious circle.

Tier 1 Clubs ---------------------------

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Manchester United
Chelsea

Tier 2 Clubs ---------------------------

Emirates Marketing Project
Arsenal
PSG
Dortmund
Juventus
AC Milan

Tier 3 Clubs ---------------------------

Monaco
Napoli
Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool
Inter Milan
Shalke
Atletico Madrid

Big post necessitates my quoting only a part of it,, but I agree with the rest. We've been comedic underachievers for decades, but even after all that we're still apparently 5th in the all time table, so there's clearly still potential in us for a glory period or two. But it still pains me that Chelsea have moved above us in the trophy list, those bastards. Damn.

To be honest with you, I don't think even a hardened Chelsea fan could actually claim the Full members cup as an honour so as it stands really we are 4th biggest in terms of trophies.

The fact that we have such a strong fanbase within the UK for people between the ages of 20-35 says alot when you consider some of what we have witnessed/put up with. I firmly believe that if we had managed half the success that Arsenal have managed over the last 20 years then we would be a bigger club than them now. That is totally subjective and down to opinion but we have always been seen as having a pull for a flair player and with half that success you would imagine we would have signed a few more worldies than we managed and we did manage to get a few.

How many clubs could have signed players like Klinsmann, Ginola, Davids based largely on our name as a club? Obviosuly other factors come into play but I think that the club itself has a distinct pull aside from anything else.

Thats why I would like a trophy this season or two if we can......put a bit of distance between ourselves and the likes of Chelsea, Villa and Everton.

To be honest with you, I don't think even a hardened Chelsea fan could actually claim the Full members cup as an honour so as it stands really we are 4th biggest in terms of trophies.

The fact that we have such a strong fanbase within the UK for people between the ages of 20-35 says alot when you consider some of what we have witnessed/put up with. I firmly believe that if we had managed half the success that Arsenal have managed over the last 20 years then we would be a bigger club than them now. That is totally subjective and down to opinion but we have always been seen as having a pull for a flair player and with half that success you would imagine we would have signed a few more worldies than we managed and we did manage to get a few.

How many clubs could have signed players like Klinsmann, Ginola, Davids based largely on our name as a club? Obviosuly other factors come into play but I think that the club itself has a distinct pull aside from anything else.

Thats why I would like a trophy this season or two if we can......put a bit of distance between ourselves and the likes of Chelsea, Villa and Everton.

Yeah right, it's easy to just come up with Rose tinted comments like that, lol... the IF's , When's , Buts , etc,.. don't mean anything, Spurs have had more than 50 years to prove that they can be better than Arsenal, had 20 years of the EPL to prove this potential we been hearing for more than half a century, I hope you know that actions speak louder than words, right? Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham, Everton, Fulham etc,.. would say the same, every fan can claim the same rubbish, If we had done this or done that in this time we would be bigger and better than Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United blah blah.. it's just so easy talking the talk than walking the walk, even Ebbsfleet United in the Blue Square premier can claim.. It's a;; well and good to say "OMG Bentley, John Bostock, Taarabt have the potential, if they had performed consistently in the past 10 years as the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Gerrard, Ribery..., they would be far bigger Stars". But when are we going to wait for this to happen? You guys are so funny.. smh

Back