• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are We a Nice Club

ArcspacE

Banned
Ade's recent return has made me think - is there something special about Spurs? Something which genuinely attracts players on a 'personal level', even to the extent of willing to take a 'step-down' - to my mind Adebayor is a 20m striker who should be playing CL every season, yet he chose to return with us and seemed to have genuinely enjoyed his time last year. He said as much back in May and looked excited to return as soon as possible.

VdV is another top class player who springs to mind - could have gone to number of CL clubs in the summer, but chose to commit instead and looks passionate on the field, gives 120% in every game, and lives every goal with the supporters - a fans' player in many ways.

As much as we speak about the future - ultimately we are a 'just-about' club with immense potential, unable to pay massive wages at this point in time, yet there are top players who genuinely want to play for us - I find that quite remarkable, to the extent of wondering if it is a combination of great team-mates, fans, club organisation, staff, etc.

Even AVB (yes, it could have been a media reach-around) mentioned he felt a much stronger family-like closeness and warmth in this club.

What is it that would make a player of Ade's ilk chose us instead of a G14 outfit?

Last edited:
No. We are a business and we treat important assets like royalty

pretty sure its the same all over

have to look at

wages
CL
club future potential
availability of spaces at big time CL clubs
First team opportunities

all that i would assume gets factored into a players decision...and forwhatever reason they pick us in that combination

If ade didnt get his wages from us and city together...then he wouldnt have come most likely. someone else would have chanced it, if we didnt have an agreement of purchase after the loan then possibly more clubs would have been in for him......or more would have taken a chance

if VDV doesnt get regular first team football i believe he will be gone

Although it would be good to say players come here because we are a huge club steeped in history and tradition, Ade wouldnt have come if city didnt pay
at least 50% of his salary. Its a sad situation.

I think there is a certain romance about the club some players seem to tap into, but its not that often.

With Adebayor, I always maintained before we got him last year (in the midst of everyone saying he is trouble) that he just needs to feel at home and wanted. Redknapp did a great job at that, AVB could be reaping the benefit

When you look at the egos flying about at Liverpool, Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project you can see that our bunch are much more mellow. The core have been then a while now, and from a young age so they don't fit the category of being mercenaries.

Few players leave spurs and grumble.... Will be interested to see what Dawson says though.

I'd bet there was a nice feel at Man U, Arsenal and Saudi Sportswashing Machine too though.

Being in London is also a very big asset as well.

I can imagine living in London would be amazing on the wage of the Premier League footballer.

Being in London is also a very big asset as well.

I can imagine living in London would be amazing on the wage of the Premier League footballer.

I was going to say that. It is an advantage over almost every non London team in England.

Didn't United just lose out on a player bwecause he said he didn't want to live in Manchester?

I was just thinking the other day- if I was in charge of the training ground i'd try and do a google-esque situation.

You know how google have loads of fun random stuff in their offices? a bit like that. A few fussball tables, scaletrix, playstations plugged into screens. Just spaces to unwind basically. Am I crazy?

I was just thinking the other day- if I was in charge of the training ground i'd try and do a google-esque situation.

You know how google have loads of fun random stuff in their offices? a bit like that. A few fussball tables, scaletrix, playstations plugged into screens. Just spaces to unwind basically. Am I crazy?

yes!!

;)

Google do that so you unwind then get back and do some more work. When players finish their training they are going to bog off, not hang around and chill with each other.

I thought most clubs would already do this? I know we do, we have a basketball court for the lads as well.

I think you only have to look at the 'tone' in some of our departures to judge whether we have a 'special' atmosphere going on at the club...
many of our ex-players can't wait to have a dig as soon as they leave... not many have anything particularly positive to say about us once they've left... then you look at SOME of ArseAnal's departures, and it's like they need fudging counselling to get over NOT being at the club any more!!

History went out of the window years ago (I know that's 'deeper' than I originally meant) ...but sadly, it does only come down to MONEY... (hence China & Russia being able to attract some big-name players now) ...and probably location at a close second. London will ALWAYS be a pull... but you don't see Ade signing for West Ham or Fulham, so the first reason would probably over-ride the second!

I think were too nice for our own good sometimes...

Agreed... Jol (and therefore the club's) reaction after both the Mendes goal - yeah, I'm back there - and Lasagne-gate tell you all you need to know about our 'nasty streak' and some would argue, our true desire to win-at-all-costs... Fergie would've blown an eye-ball if EITHER of those farcical events happened to HIS club! Yet there we were, taking it like a fresh inmate during his first shower...

That said, we don't need to be dirty, but fudging hell we need some aggression... thinking about it, maybe that's why AVB is prepared to let Dawson & Hudd go... 2 of the 'nicest' personalities we have had at the club... even IF Thudd has been known to mis-time a tackle or three... it's ALWAYS deemed out of character... probably why Stoke have gone for him!! 8-[

I think you only have to look at the 'tone' in some of our departures to judge whether we have a 'special' atmosphere going on at the club...
many of our ex-players can't wait to have a dig as soon as they leave... not many have anything particularly positive to say about us once they've left... then you look at SOME of ArseAnal's departures, and it's like they need fudging counselling to get over NOT being at the club any more!!

History went out of the window years ago (I know that's 'deeper' than I originally meant) ...but sadly, it does only come down to MONEY... (hence China & Russia being able to attract some big-name players now) ...and probably location at a close second. London will ALWAYS be a pull... but you don't see Ade signing for West Ham or Fulham, so the first reason would probably over-ride the second!

hmm, nah i dont agree entirely with this

its about even.

We would like to think we have something special but I doubt the players view it as any different than many other clubs across Europe. I would say the main things which are attractive to signing top players now would be

1) London, undoubtedly is a huge attraction one of the best cities in the world especially if you have money and many players wives push for moves based on that alone

2) Premier League is top dog now, so if United, Arse, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea don't come in for a player we are the next best thing and many players want to play in the top league in the world. The drawback is of course as we have seen many players like to use as as a stepping stone. Levy has done his best lately to stop this but the fact remains if we aren't a perennial CL participant these players will want off eventually

3) We have to be perceived as a club on the rise. Most players wouldn't know a thing about our proud cup history but they see that lately we have been playing some attractive football and are on the verge every year of upsetting the traditional apple cart (and have in some cases) Also no doubt our global profile has increased dramatically over the last 5 years or so. You just need to take a look at the money earnings, shirt sales, sponsorship etc.. to see this.

Back