• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are Belgium players over rated ?

No what I am saying is that Jan is better at FB then Kompany is, maybe I did not explain myself well enough. Belgium do not have any good enough FB's to play, out of the four CB's in their squad Jan and Toby can play both positions so they are picked to play there. The other player alongside Kompany is usually Vermalien and he can not play at FB either.

Oh, I see. Apologies.

That is a fair point - although I can't comment on the quality of alternative options.

Personally, I think Vertonghen is a very poor player, and any team with any real aspirations wouldn't want him in the core of their side.

Oh, I see. Apologies.

That is a fair point - although I can't comment on the quality of alternative options.

Personally, I think Vertonghen is a very poor player, and any team with any real aspirations wouldn't want him in the core of their side.

No probs :), I disagree with you over Jan though but Stop! Hammer time.

Majority of footballers at the top level is much of a muchness in terms of talent (obvious players like messi and Ronaldo are above and beyond)

It boils down to the mentality of the player and the tactics of a coach.

Porto and Mourinho won the CL in 2004, how many of those players would have got in the Goons invincibles?

Ronaldo is a great example (IMO) of great mental strength and drive to become a star. He doesn't have the natural talent of messi but yet he is mentioned in the same breath as him because he worked his arse off at it.

The reason the germans are so successful isn't because they produce players so much better than England, its because they are mentally stronger.

Belgium will never fulfil their potential. We see first hand how Jan, Mousa and Chadli and in terms of mentality weak, but look at Emirates Marketing Project unable to retain a title, Kompany isn't weak but he can not sustain, and I think Hazard will suffer the same this season

Majority of footballers at the top level is much of a muchness in terms of talent (obvious players like messi and Ronaldo are above and beyond)

Porto and Mourinho won the CL in 2004, how many of those players would have got in the Goons invincibles?

Ronaldo is a great example (IMO) of great mental strength and drive to become a star. He doesn't have the natural talent of messi but yet he is mentioned in the same breath as him because he worked his arse off at it.

The reason the germans are so successful isn't because they produce players so much better than England, its because they are mentally stronger.

Belgium will never fulfil their potential. We see first hand how Jan, Mousa and Chadli and in terms of mentality weak, but look at Emirates Marketing Project unable to retain a title, Kompany isn't weak but he can not sustain, and I think Hazard will suffer the same this season

Agreed on all points; in fact at the last World Cup, if there was a team that resembled Spurs it was Belgium imo:oops:

Bit harsh on Toby in the opening post - give the guy some time!

It's the golden generation for Belgium thus seeing more and more of them. Prior to that, I can only remember Claesen and Blondel.

Kinda of agree .. with some caveats

- Ronaldo is an extremely gifted athlete, his speed, vertical jump, etc. would make him a star at most sports (but yes, he works his ass off)
- Re Germans, I actually think their discipline is their strength, much more real (in my opinion) quality that the "bottle it" excuse
- Belgium (this generation) to me are like Holland, great individuality, not great as a team and often inconsistent.

Bit harsh on Toby in the opening post - give the guy some time!

It's the golden generation for Belgium thus seeing more and more of them. Prior to that, I can only remember Claesen and Blondel.

Scifo who played against us in the final 84 was a top player.

Nothing against Belgium players. In fact, want us to keep all the 4 Belgium players we have now. But we seem to have this "buy youth or Belgian first" policy as if there are no other better players around. Always wonder why we seldom buy good players from the top leagues of Europe : Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and even Portugal. We need players in the mould of Davids, VDV, Klinsmann, Ziege, Ginola and Lloris from these leagues and not unknown players no one knows about.

Haven't entirely figured out if this thread is about OUR Belgians or Belgians in general. Whatever it is, I consider it frankly impressive that a nation of just 11 million people has produced the number of top flight footballers currently playing. What are they doing right that England (population 53 million) is doing wrong?

Haven't entirely figured out if this thread is about OUR Belgians or Belgians in general. Whatever it is, I consider it frankly impressive that a nation of just 11 million people has produced the number of top flight footballers currently playing. What are they doing right that England (population 53 million) is doing wrong?

Don't understand one thing. Why is it impressive whenever a small nation puts up a decent football team ? Football only needs 11 players !

I consider the current Belgian side to be better than decent because I think they have the potential to go a long way in a major tournament. Of course, you are correct that a football team needs only eleven players. Nonetheless, I am making the point that I think it is impressive that a tiny nation such as Belgium is able to compete with - and see off - far more populous nations than itself. Having a good side isn't purely about having a lot of people but it's a great start. England is a football mad country with a far higher population that has consistently underachieved; in comparison I greatly admire the achievements of nations such as Belgium, Uruguay and even Holland.

Back