• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Any electricians in?

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
I've mounted a TV on my bedroom wall and put a double socket behind it for the tv and dvd player but the plugs stick out too far and stop me getting he tv on the wall properly.

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the double socket with 2 fused spur switches so I don't have to have the plugs in?

Would that work and if so can anyone advice how it's done?

Cheers

you'd need a fused spur the size of a double socket

2 fused spurs wouldn't work as they need an individual back box each (or a dual box, which is two side by side in the same module)

But I'd need two fused Spurs, one for the tv and one for the dvd. I was thinking I could use a double accessory box and two fused spur faceplates but I don't know how to wire them together safely

the trouble is, you're replacing a double socket, which has a back box which looks like this :

PL0986307-40.jpg

note there are only two lugs, one at either end, to screw the face plate back to - two fused spurs would require two lugs each

switched_fused_spur_for_website.jpg

two (or one even) of those will not fit on to the back box you already have.

is it dry wall (plasterboard) or brickwork?

just noticed you said you put the original socket in? if so it sounds like you're reasonably competent with this kind of stuff?

i can talk you through the wiring/connecting - it's fairly simple (assuming you did put the original in)

i did put the double socket in, never installed a fused spur and really not sure how to do two next to each other. I was thinking i could put one of these in, that way i can have two fused spurs in the area that currently had a double socket.

socket.jpg

that box is what you need (assuming you have plasterboard walls)

wiring wise just treat the two separate compartments as individual sockets :

split the two cables you currently have going in to the existing socket to the two compartments of the box pictured (so one is in each)

then take a new link cable in between the two - so you are left with two cables in each comparrment

(each cable comprising of 3 cores - live neutral and earth)

connection wise - a spur has a supply side and a load side. supply carries the power in and the load is what goes out to your tv. so the cables you have just wired go in the supply side and the lead to your tv go in the load. as you put the existing socket in i assume you know what L N and E are when connecting up?

make any sense - i am known to confuse people at work when i try and explain things :lol:

Edit : just a word of warning - the dual box you need to use is bigger than the one you will be replacing - by about 20mm or so (in length)

Just move the plug socket up about 30cm so they are fractionally above the TV, you won't notice them up there. If you do, you need to get a life :)

Just move the plug socket up about 30cm so they are fractionally above the TV, you won't notice them up there. If you do, you need to get a life :)

The TV is only a 32" as it's in the bedroom, if I put the plug sockets above it they would be clearly visible and look ugly.

Good idea that - would save the need to cut in a bigger box required for two spurs.

The draw back would be needing a far deeper back box than i would assume is currently in place - not a problem if it's a stud wall, but a massive pain if brick/block

Back