• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Any D.I.Yers out there?

Crawley

Board Legend
I've got to paint a large expanse of wood which is acting as a window ledge.

It is screwed down in a few places, the screw heads being slightly recessed, but I need to fill the recess holes to achieve a smooth finish.
Is there a particular type of filler I should use that will bond to the screw heads?

Don't think regular plaster type polyfilla will do it?.......sure i heard once about coating the screw heads with oil first....anyone heard that one?

And if anyone answers with "have you tried turning it off yet" I'll infract your arse!!!!! (DSF and Vinnie take note)

Just regular woodfiller? Will it bond to the screw heads still ? Very shallow recess..........maybe 1-2 mm max

Yes, it should without a problem. Obtain some fine sandpaper and clean it smooth the next day. Then prime and paint - depending on what's on the wood at the moment you might have to sand down the whole thing first

If you are really worried about the screw depth - un-do them and counter sink further in - very easy provided you have the tools

What I would and have done is recess the screws to about 1/8 of an inch and plug the hole with a piece dowling and glue with wood glue, put the grain the same way and leave just proud of the finished surface then cut with a sharp chisel and sand until level. Fillers often shrink and/or show through the finished wood and look unsightly.

What I would and have done is recess the screws to about 1/8 of an inch and plug the hole with a piece dowling and glue with wood glue, put the grain the same way and leave just proud of the finished surface then cut with a sharp chisel and sand until level. Fillers often shrink and/or show through the finished wood and look unsightly.

I just read about doing this....sounds fiddley but professional.

I just read about doing this....sounds fiddley but professional.
Rather than oil just a dab of an oil based paint (or gloss in old money) will do to seal it. If you really don't fancy dowelling it fill it with Easyfill, it's very fine and sands down easier than the easiest thing you can think of.

If you're not that happy with the finish of the ledge you want to try kicking it off and then screwing it back on again.

PS. Don't buy any Easyfill, ask your local friendly Taper & Jointer for a handful or two (carry it home in a plastic bag, not actually in your hand).

Last edited:
I've got to paint a large expanse of wood which is acting as a window ledge.

It is screwed down in a few places, the screw heads being slightly recessed, but I need to fill the recess holes to achieve a smooth finish.
Is there a particular type of filler I should use that will bond to the screw heads?

Don't think regular plaster type polyfilla will do it?.......sure i heard once about coating the screw heads with oil first....anyone heard that one?

And if anyone answers with "have you tried turning it off yet" I'll infract your arse!!!!! (DSF and Vinnie take note)

Is it external or internal? And are you intending on a painted finish?

Either way make sure the screws are screwed in tight.

Internal -normal powder filler that needs mixing (tetrion), i hate ready mixed sh*t (except red devil one-time). Leave slightly proud, then sand with some 120grit when dry, then dab of primer, u/c + whatever top coat.

External - never use powder filler on wood outdoors. It will work bur you'll only be repainting it next year.
Wood filler like Ronseal HP Woodfiller http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/...oduct+Search&gclid=CLWbvt6zn7MCFebLtAode28Apw is just the job. Its a two-part filler, easy to mix, goes off in 10 min. Brummer do small ready mixed pots but they're more for when you need to match wood colours.

Stay out of Travis (remortgage req). Brewers will have all you need, but so will B+Q and will most likely be cheapest.

As someone mentions above, if the screws were deeper you would get a better 'fix' with the filler

Back