• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

Enjoyed reading the last few pages of this thread. Don’t always agree with him but I like Tommysvr’s belief in Ange and Dubai’s comparison of Ange to Jol I think was interesting and I can see some similarities, Ange bringing the feel good factor back like Jol did, free flowing attacking football. The last couple of months has thrown me as I genuinely thought we’d be a lot more consistent once we started to get our players back. We’re heading into unknown territory next season with European football in some form either CL or EL. Are the injuries we’ve experienced the players getting up to speed with the new system or just bad luck? My gut says we’ll be somewhere around 4th-6th next season, could maybe challenge if we get the recruitment right.

Sorry for cutting your post but this I 100% agree with. It’s being billed as if Ange finishes 8th then Levy won’t be patient, but it’s the fans who’ll hound him out or get on Levy’s back to act as they did with AVB, Jose, Nuno & Conte.

If the fans are happy then Ange won’t be going anywhere, if not then he’s in danger. Ange has even said the same at the start of the season to the what would be a successful season question “the fans will let me know mate”.

Personally I’m genuinely very happy with this season, definitely petered out, but we’re playing alright for the most part. I’ve only been really disappointed with 3 performances all season, away to Brighton, Fulham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
The issue won’t be solely the fans. Levy will want CL; the stadium was built for that. If we dropped out of Europe altogether by the end of Ange’s second season he’d be toast imho.

The issue won’t be solely the fans. Levy will want CL; the stadium was built for that. If we dropped out of Europe altogether by the end of Ange’s second season he’d be toast imho.

Think the fans would probably demand it aswell. Rightly or wrongly.

Sorry for cutting your post but this I 100% agree with. It’s being billed as if Ange finishes 8th then Levy won’t be patient, but it’s the fans who’ll hound him out or get on Levy’s back to act as they did with AVB, Jose, Nuno & Conte.

If the fans are happy then Ange won’t be going anywhere, if not then he’s in danger. Ange has even said the same at the start of the season to the what would be a successful season question “the fans will let me know mate”.

Personally I’m genuinely very happy with this season, definitely petered out, but we’re playing alright for the most part. I’ve only been really disappointed with 3 performances all season, away to Brighton, Fulham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Did the fans hound our previous managers? That’s not how I remember it, granted I didn’t go to many games during Nuno’s brief reign. I don’t remember anyone calling for Jose to go on the eve of a cup final, that one was on Levy. Don’t recall Conte getting a backlash either, i think he pretty much fired himself with his rant after the Soton game was it? If anything the disgruntlement has been aimed at Levy rather than the managers. I remain skeptical that levy would keep a manager around if he finished lower than 6th. Especially more than once like Arteta did before they started to challenge.

Enjoyed reading the last few pages of this thread. Don’t always agree with him but I like Tommysvr’s belief in Ange and Dubai’s comparison of Ange to Jol I think was interesting and I can see some similarities, Ange bringing the feel good factor back like Jol did, free flowing attacking football. The last couple of months has thrown me as I genuinely thought we’d be a lot more consistent once we started to get our players back. We’re heading into unknown territory next season with European football in some form either CL or EL. Are the injuries we’ve experienced the players getting up to speed with the new system or just bad luck? My gut says we’ll be somewhere around 4th-6th next season, could maybe challenge if we get the recruitment right.
I think we could challenge on many fronts but that’s the killer…
We need quantity to keep the level up and we will see tomorrow how a knock on a squad player and having the first choice out can leave us royally screwed

Did the fans hound our previous managers? That’s not how I remember it, granted I didn’t go to many games during Nuno’s brief reign. I don’t remember anyone calling for Jose to go on the eve of a cup final, that one was on Levy. Don’t recall Conte getting a backlash either, i think he pretty much fired himself with his rant after the Soton game was it? If anything the disgruntlement has been aimed at Levy rather than the managers. I remain skeptical that levy would keep a manager around if he finished lower than 6th. Especially more than once like Arteta did before they started to challenge.
Twice for arteta …

All of them were only stuck with because they achieved league finishes that were higher than expectations at the time. As soon as their results dipped they were all sacked.

If the fans are fully onboard with Ange, he wouldn’t be sacked. But we both know that won’t be the case in the situation you and others are describing.

Look at the atmosphere at matches already, compared with earlier in the season. Fans are impatient.

If the fans are fully onboard with Ange, he wouldn’t be sacked. But we both know that won’t be the case in the situation you and others are describing.

Look at the atmosphere at matches already, compared with earlier in the season. Fans are impatient.
Yep
Fans want him gone in some cases
IMO they arent fans they are nutters but I’ve read it, so it’s out there

Yep
Fans want him gone in some cases
IMO they arent fans they are nutters but I’ve read it, so it’s out there

Yeah ignoring the idiots who actively want him sacked, there’s still many thousands who are passive where they were active just 6 months ago. The atmosphere at the Liverpool and Sheffield United matches was insane. Two matches that were very similar to recent results (last minute winners against 9 men and the worst team in the league.)

No offence, I think you have it the wrong way round when it comes to impatience. Levy is the one who is impatient, more so than the fans. No one was baying for Redknapp’s blood even after a hugely disappointing end to his final season. His mouth kind of talked himself into trouble but it wasn’t fan disgruntlement that led to his demise. Same with Jol. In fact, I can’t remember the fans being on a manager’s back that it got to the toxic level that people are indicating since the days of George Graham when fans were genuinely fed up and never warmed to him for obvious reasons. Yeah sure fans booed Nuno when he subbed Moura off against United in his final game but fans of all clubs boo substitutions they don’t like, some more than others of course. I think you’d have a job for life at Spurs if you get CL football every season. I’m not sure the fans would celebrate that every season if it meant not challenging for the top honours and not winning things.

No offence, I think you have it the wrong way round when it comes to impatience. Levy is the one who is impatient, more so than the fans. No one was baying for Redknapp’s blood even after a hugely disappointing end to his final season. His mouth kind of talked himself into trouble but it wasn’t fan disgruntlement that led to his demise. Same with Jol. In fact, I can’t remember the fans being on a manager’s back that it got to the toxic level that people are indicating since the days of George Graham when fans were genuinely fed up and never warmed to him for obvious reasons. Yeah sure fans booed Nuno when he subbed Moura off against United in his final game but fans of all clubs boo substitutions they don’t like, some more than others of course. I think you’d have a job for life at Spurs if you get CL football every season. I’m not sure the fans would celebrate that every season if it meant not challenging for the top honours and not winning things.

I never said Levy hasn't been impatient in the past.

Reactions: jrh
There were loads of calls for those managers out long before they were eventually sacked by Levy (maybe not Nuno as he wasn’t here long enough, but clearly the right decision all the same).

Hopefully fans are a bit more patient this time as the leagues a lot stronger now than it’s been for 10 years or so. Though looks like there’s already disgruntlement and calls for Ange to change his ways.

Poch (even before he went to Chelsea), Jose and conte are still getting pelters now, there were plenty was were calling for all their heads.
Only AVB and nuno escape the ire, best they can muster is apathy.

Poch (even before he went to Chelsea), Jose and conte are still getting pelters now, there were plenty was were calling for all their heads.
Only AVB and nuno escape the ire, best they can muster is apathy.

Avb didn't escape, remember me and my mates saying he had to go. Which is rare for me. The only other manager i've not said give more time to was ramos. Without bale to win us games we were poor and had been found out.

Did himself no favours though with the result against liverpool. Which levy had invited potential sponsors to.

There were loads of calls for those managers out long before they were eventually sacked by Levy (maybe not Nuno as he wasn’t here long enough, but clearly the right decision all the same).

Hopefully fans are a bit more patient this time as the leagues a lot stronger now than it’s been for 10 years or so. Though looks like there’s already disgruntlement and calls for Ange to change his ways.

Not saying you’re wrong but that’s not how I remember it. Levy and ENIC were getting calls to go in the last couple of seasons before Ange joined. Don’t recall widespread calls for any manager to go since Graham. Again, I think Levy is the one who is impatient. More so than the fans. Not saying our fans aren’t impatient btw.

Avb didn't escape, remember me and my mates saying he had to go. Which is rare for me. The only other manager i've not said give more time to was ramos. Without bale to win us games we were poor and had been found out.

Did himself no favours though with the result against liverpool. Which levy had invited potential sponsors to.

My overriding memory of AVB was the inevitably of it all. It felt like we reached a point where everyone knew it was going to happen and it wasn't worth getting worked up about.
That of course is a view from afar.

Not saying you’re wrong but that’s not how I remember it. Levy and ENIC were getting calls to go in the last couple of seasons before Ange joined. Don’t recall widespread calls for any manager to go since Graham. Again, I think Levy is the one who is impatient. More so than the fans. Not saying our fans aren’t impatient btw.

Levy and enic have been getting calls to go since our bid for the olympic stadium.

“I’m just not interested in it. I never have been. Enough of you [journalists] have done enough research on me to know this is not the first time I’ve been questioned about set-pieces in my coaching career. There is an underlying reason for that which I'm very, very comfortable with."

When asked what that reason is, he replied cryptically: "No. Do a bit of work, mate. Come on."

On whether the number of set piece goals will improve, the Australian would only say: "Eventually I will create a team that has success and it won't be because of working on set-pieces."

May or may not be the case, but you have to admire the commitment, confidence and single-mindedness of the man.

Back