• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

He didn't change from game to game based on the opposition but it did evolve over time and this is what Ange needs to do as well.

Right, and it will. It can't evolve much over 9 months.

Here are the results from the same period in Poch's first season. All over the place. As of the 14th of April, he'd managed 20 more games than Ange.

screenshot_2024_04_14 _17.31.jpg

Last edited:
Is this not a football forum for discussing all things Spurs, including the manager?
Lots of comments like this recently that everyone just has to blindly support without discussing things.

It's not about blindly supporting at all. It's about recognising that we've not seen anywhere near enough to come to the level of conclusion that many are posting. We've played 39 matches (including friendlies) with Ange.

Right, and it will. It can't evolve much over 9 months.
The playing style has eveolved a lot in a short space of time and couldn't be further from the style we seen last year. Tweaks can be made and has been done at stages during the season.

The playing style has eveolved a lot in a short space of time and couldn't be further from the style we seen last year. Tweaks can be made and has been done at stages during the season.

Come on man...you're not seriously suggesting 9 months is long enough to come to any solid conclusion on how successful or unsuccessful his setup is, are you? Were you also complaining about Poch after each of the losses/draws in the screenshot I posted above?

It's not about blindly supporting at all. It's about recognising that we've not seen anywhere near enough to come to the level of conclusion that many are posting. We've played 39 matches (including friendlies) with Ange.
People are allowed raise concerns that have been seen over the course of the season. I think it's entirely reasonable to point to our defence and how the number of goals we are leaking has to be addressed if we are to progress further. Just about everyone has said that they still support Ange and are overall happy with how things have gone so far under him, but that doesn't mean that he's beyond question and can't be discussed.

People are allowed raise concerns that have been seen over the course of the season. I think it's entirely reasonable to point to our defence and how the number of goals we are leaking has to be addressed if we are to progress further. Just about everyone has said that they still support Ange and are overall happy with how things have gone so far under him, but that doesn't mean that he's beyond question and can't be discussed.

Where have I said you can't discuss? Aren't we literally discussing it right now?

Come on man...you're not seriously suggesting 9 months is long enough to come to any solid conclusion on how successful or unsuccessful his setup is, are you? Were you also complaining about Poch after each of the losses/draws in the screenshot I posted above?
That's some straw manning there.

How?? A manager with a very different style to the one before him (Poch had a better lead-in than Ange) and he struggled in very similar ways in his first season. Why is that such a hard comparison to make?
How? Where did I say that 9 months is enough to long enough to come to a solid conclusion about whether we will be successful or not?
Very definition of a straw man arguement.

Let's have a quiz. Comments from post-match yesterday or from post 3-0 away to Stoke in Poch's first season?

"were so bad there is so much wrong with this squad and its not changing for a lot of years"

"Eriksen almost sums up our team. Talent is there, but ultimately doesn't really care."

"We try quite hard going forward. We're decent attacking. Yes we could improve our movement, passing, drives down the wing etc. But generally in attack we're alright.

But defending, stopping teams from scoring, we are woeful! We're wide open, the midfield doesn't create a barrier and the defence is always shaky.

to play against us is uber simple. Just keep it tight at the back. That is all you need to do. Soak up our attacks, and you'll get plenty on the break or mistakes. Since Mourinho did this to us in the final, every team has the same setup. Works every time."

"That was not very good. No kind of organisation at the back. We defend as individuals, not as a unit, and that is unfortunately the case most of the time. It is so easy to cause us problems. Just ping the ball forward, chase after the ball and straight away you have a chance.

Going forward everything is pedestrian. When Stoke win the ball they get the ball forward quickly and try to catch us out. We take a few touches, pass the ball back and forth a few times, until Stoke are perfectly organised again. Then we try to force our way through centrally, which will happen about 1 time out of 100.

We don't look like a team in eiher end of the pitch. You have to wonder what we do in training."

"Anyone who thinks we've improved over Tim Sherwood's team from last season is sadly deluding themselves."

"Sadly in a way, the Ardiles type managers never seem to succeed. This game is about being hard to beat. Football is attrition. At least until the first goal is scored. What is Poch's philosphie? As we're not pressing.

Can he get the team setup to stop the other team scoring so easily? A number of things need to change.

1. First and foremost when an attack breaks down. At the start of the season it was an emergency. Close down and snuff out the other team. Lamela and others run back, but not with urgency. We seem to be trying to drop back into a defensive position, but not putting pressure on the ball. We have to do both.

2,3,4 can come later..."

Some of those are almost literally what is said of Ange and the current team. And I could go on...it's good reading https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/threads/spurs-v-stoke-official-match-thread.7633/

Last edited:
Hey drama queen here again !!

I don’t think it’s about blindly supporting but do feel that sometimes people need to think before they post/speak .. generally we don’t as there is little in the way of consequence these days .

Feck I’m only offering my opinion but it’s been a amazing transformative year for me !

Last year my lad said he diddnt want to come any more as it was such a bad atmosphere and style of play

Sure the system has its faults but it’s the first season and we are fighting for top four .. you would have bit my hand off for that if I’d offered it at Brentford away .

I’ve seen a lot of brick in my 46 years I’m grateful for how this season has made me and the boy enjoy our football together again and hope we can build on it by backing ange for next season

Let's have a quiz. Comments from post-match yesterday or from post 3-0 away to Stoke in Poch's first season?

Some of those are almost literally what is said of Ange and the current team. And I could go on...it's good reading https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/threads/spurs-v-stoke-official-match-thread.7633/
Fascinating, bring back @Hoddledro what a positive chap.

@DubaiSpur getting in on the act of course, love it.

Eriksen and Lloris nowhere near good enough for us, hahaha. Sell them all.

Last edited:
Back