• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

Think you're right about questioning individual games as i have done so, would disagree our problems only exist at the back though.

I mean, there are certainly problems at the back. We effectively have two defenders and ask them to do bail us out, just an error or mis-step and it's over.

But up front, analysing Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we had the possession, what did we do with it? not everyone likes xG and i totally get why, but Saudi Sportswashing Machine's was 3.15 vs Spurs of 0.74. We had possession but created very few chances, very few clear cut opportunities. As i said with Son unable to do much, we have no Plan B. It was interesting actually against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we looked better when Brennan went up top and Kulu was on as we finally had someone to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

Richy's injuries have also killed us. It was no surprise his first X amount of goals were all headers (usually via Perisic crossing) but now we have no option like that.

Not saying i have a solution but if Son has 2 goals in 2 months as your main striker, then you have issues.

I think if richy is fit we should revert back to Kulu, richy, son as the front line
Im wonderin if the lack of ball retention is what’s causing issues for the full back inverting
And richys gaols in his post operation spell were a mixed bag of headers and shots

I think if richy is fit we should revert back to Kulu, richy, son as the front line
Im wonderin if the lack of ball retention is what’s causing issues for the full back inverting

I think it would be the best thing we could do for the run-in, use Johnson and Werner as impact subs off the bench.

I think it would be the best thing we could do for the run-in, use Johnson and Werner as impact subs off the bench.
Just feels like we’re not maximising what we have otherwise
And if richy is till unfit I’d play one of the under 23s as striker
As radical as that sounds it at least fixes the issue of someone staying up top

which part? Happy to engage and discuss rather than a "this is laughable" but not actually pointing out where/why.

The part where he’s been here for less than a full season. “It’s not perfect already wah wah!”

You fail to say anything about beating Aston Villa 4-0. Sorry, “completely owning Emery”.

Give it some fudging time.

And richys gaols in his post operation spell were a mixed bag of headers and shots
I think we should look at 2 things. What were we doing during our early season period. And what were we doing when Richarlison was scoring 10 goals in 10 games. We need to figure out what’s change and try to blend the best of those 2 periods.

It may not always be putting the best players on the pitch, but the right blend of players. For instance people are down on Kulu right now but we were a good side early in the season with him in the team.

Not necessarily saying he’s the answer but one reason to change it up is that I think we’ve become too predictable and a change will make it harder for teams to prep for us

Kulu should not be anywhere near the starting line up.

I think we should look at 2 things. What were we doing during our early season period. And what were we doing when Richarlison was scoring 10 goals in 10 games. We need to figure out what’s change and try to blend the best of those 2 periods.

It may not always be putting the best players on the pitch, but the right blend of players. For instance people are down on Kulu right now but we were a good side early in the season with him in the team.

Not necessarily saying he’s the answer but one reason to change it up is that I think we’ve become too predictable and a change will make it harder for teams to prep for us
Whats changed is Richie has not been fit to play. When he plays up top we have actually have someone in the box who is going to cause problems and actually have shots.

Richy isn't really any better at ball retention though. Kulu does give us this but we then lose incision and directness. It's why I don't really think any of our wide players are the right fit. None offer the full package, Johnson has pace but he's a ghost in games, he's barely involved and he can't beat his man unless he's rubbing on to a ball in space. Kulu can but lacks pace and he's currently constantly turning into inside and holding the ball too long. It's a difficult one because both have their strengths but both also have very obvious weaknesses.

The part where he’s been here for less than a full season. “It’s not perfect already wah wah!”

You fail to say anything about beating Aston Villa 4-0. Sorry, “completely owning Emery”.

Give it some fudging time.
That was as much about Emery fudging it up though. He tried to change his system to contain us and got it totally wrong. They would have been better off just playing their usual game. Not saying we would have lost as I think our performance in the home game was even better than the 4-0 it just lacked goals but I doubt we would have won 4-0 if they had just played the way they usually do.

That was as much about Emery fudging it up though. He tried to change his system to contain us and got it totally wrong. They would have been better off just playing their usual game. Not saying we would have lost as I think our performance in the home game was even better than the 4-0 it just lacked goals but I doubt we would have won 4-0 if they had just played the way they usually do.

So Ange can do literally no right? It's his fault we lose but it's the other manager's fault when we win?

What's the excuse for Howe in the 4-1 win at home? His tactics that day? Injuries? Walked under a ladder? Full moon?

Richy isn't really any better at ball retention though. Kulu does give us this but we then lose incision and directness. It's why I don't really think any of our wide players are the right fit. None offer the full package, Johnson has pace but he's a ghost in games, he's barely involved and he can't beat his man unless he's rubbing on to a ball in space. Kulu can but lacks pace and he's currently constantly turning into inside and holding the ball too long. It's a difficult one because both have their strengths but both also have very obvious weaknesses.
Richy is 400% better at retaining the ball than son, when marked. Which happens against all low block sides. You talk about the eye test in the Timo thread but you can’t tell me son is passing the eye test as a CF? The ball comes to him and he turns into the CB or he drifts 40 yards from goal to get it, pass it to Maddison and stand next to him
Richy is not the answer but he does the simple things needed right now. The issue is he can’t stay fit, again, and his all around play isn’t as good as is needed
I’m convinced put a CF on the pitch and we see a difference with the wide players.

Richy is 400% better at retaining the ball than son, when marked. Which happens against all low block sides. You talk about the eye test in the Timo thread but you can’t tell me son is passing the eye test as a CF? The ball comes to him and he turns into the CB or he drifts 40 yards from goal to get it, pass it to Maddison and stand next to him
Richy is not the answer but he does the simple things needed right now. The issue is he can’t stay fit, again, and his all around play isn’t as good as is needed
I’m convinced put a CF on the pitch and we see a difference with the wide players.

I agree.

No expectation to get perfect straight away.

But there is low hanging fruit untouched.

Play the part the system needs and get an extra body in defence.

Emery fudged up
But we executed the system correctly
No centre backs fell over
Son ran into the spaces
Maddison retained the ball
Still took changes to get it right for us

I disagree
It’s possible his change in form has coincided as he has lost his target in the area
He’s been bang average since his first 6 months here. He holds onto it too long and runs into trouble time and time again even in those first 10 games of the season.

He’s been bang average since his first 6 months here. He holds onto it too long and runs into trouble time and time again even in those first 10 games of the season.
It’s all about opinions
I’ve seen him oaky really well and poorly since those 6 months

So Ange can do literally no right? It's his fault we lose but it's the other manager's fault when we win?

What's the excuse for Howe in the 4-1 win at home? His tactics that day? Injuries? Walked under a ladder? Full moon?
Why are you so defensive. Lol. Where did I lay blame at him for losing? Please find a post where I've done so. Villa literally fudged up trying to overcompensate, they made things worse for themselves. You didn't even notice I said we played even better in the first game when they didn't do that.

I thought I had been been clear that I think all of our forwards need improvement?

In his absence Richie is getting better and better. His hold up play is not good, I agree it's probably better than Son's but that's hardly a high target. Richie also has poor and heavy touches. I swear the longer he doesn't play the greater his mystique is becoming.

Why are you so defensive. Lol. Where did I lay blame at him for losing? Please find a post where I've done so. Villa literally fudged up trying to overcompensate, they made things worse for themselves. You didn't even notice I said we played even better in the first game when they didn't do that.

Defensive? I’m just fudging sick of everyone trying to find holes in everything. Look at this reply — you’ve again said the reason we played better in the home game is because Emery didn’t do something. So Ange gets no credit.

Reactions: jrh
Back