• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

We're still in a settling in period, and we are comfortably competing for the 3rd/4th. A lot on here predicted we'd be 6th-8th this season, and as the season is progressing we are getting better - funny that. Not really sure what the issue is....[/QUOTE]

The sacking of Redknapp is/was one of them for some.

3rd March

Chelsea's position not good enough - Andre Villas-Boas

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has said his side's current position of fifth in the Premier League is not good enough and "piles pressure" on him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17247351

4th March

Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea as Roman swings the axe after West Brom woe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2110027/Andre-Villas-Boas-sacked-Chelsea.html

So yes, they were fifth.

Getting rinsed in the CL? It's not exactly an easy competition. They went into the last match needing a win to qualify. After spending like 80m they failed to qualify this season as well. City got rinsed two years running.

Back room mutiny? It takes a certain kind of back room to mutiny.

Agreed. Players who thought they were better than the manager. Inflated egos etc.

Avb certainly failed at Chelsea but gven the context of the situation he was always likely to. He was brought in with the goal of overhauling an ageing squad and transitioning to a more progressive eye pleasing playing style. Yet he wasn't really given the tools to do so. Chelsea were unable (or unwilling) to sign his first choice targets which hampered him greatly. The only first choice player they managed to bring in was Mata the rest were either squad options or long standing Chelsea youth targets.

Given the squad he had, he should have been more cautious with the pace of his overhaul as he simply didn't have the raw materials to enforce it. But the Chelsea structure has to take great deal of blame given that they would have made some strong assurances to him before he took the job.

Spurs is a totally different scenario, we already plaed a system not that distant from the one he tried to implement at Chelsea and of course had players highly suited to said system.

Great post to the point. Well done Sir

Wait..so you don't think our home performances for the most part this season which has seen us struggle to Stoke, WBA, Norwich and Wigan is a genuine reason to be critical?

Mate, don't bother. It doesn't matter if you have said positive things about the current manager such as praising him for our away form, our current league position, the handling of the Lloris/Friedel situation, if you even cite one criticism of AVB or don't agree with 100% of his decisions or tactics, you will be painted as not being behind the manager or you're still pining for Redknapp. As far as I can recall, I haven't seen anyone call for his head, I've only seen people disappointed after bad performances, which have improved as the season has gone on and people HAVE PRAISED HIM and rightly so.

Mate, don't bother. It doesn't matter if you have said positive things about the current manager such as praising him for our away form, our current league position, the handling of the Lloris/Friedel situation, if you even cite one criticism of AVB or don't agree with 100% of his decisions or tactics, you will be painted as not being behind the manager or you're still pining for Redknapp. As far as I can recall, I haven't seen anyone call for his head, I've only seen people disappointed after bad performances, which have improved as the season has gone on and people HAVE PRAISED HIM and rightly so.

This is always the problem with these kinds of arguments. People on both sides of the debate get tunnel vision. That's why those who are critical of certain aspects of AVB's time thus far at the club are "painted as not being behind the manager or........still pining for Redknapp". And it's why those who praise certain aspects of AVB's time thus far at the club are dismissively referred to as "acolytes".

All a bit silly, really.

I think what most people defending AVB are saying was that it wasn't ideal that we didn't pick up maximum points from WBA, Norwich & Wigan, but it happened and there were reasons why it happened, it's improved and we should now move on and not keep banging on about it in every post.

Agree with jimmyb, all a bit silly really

I'm not geting carried away personally mate, I saw what he wanted to do early-doors. I'm excited that it's finally bearing substantial fruit. What's amusing to me are those who simply cannot hold their hands up in the air and say he has improved an awful lot of things at out football club!

But that would mean admitting that he is a really good coach or even worse, that Redknapp isn't the greatest manager ever and maybe letting him go was the right thing to do.

Steff, thought you had been around long enough ... people have their agendas, their spacegoats and how they "see" things, and very few are willing to reconsider/change, no matter the evidence.

Little quote for you "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

You're right mate...I should know better! Appreciated...

But that would mean admitting that he is a really good coach or even worse, that Redknapp isn't the greatest manager ever and maybe letting him go was the right thing to do.

Which apparently is absolutely forbidden in these parts, again, you're right mate, I need to learn the ways of the wild west!

I'm not geting carried away personally mate, I saw what he wanted to do early-doors. I'm excited that it's finally bearing substantial fruit. What's amusing to me are those who simply cannot hold their hands up in the air and say he has improved an awful lot of things at out football club!

I've criticised him when he's got things wrong and praised him when he's got things right. But I'm not going to declare him a resounding success until the season is completed, but so far so good.

There was no mutinty in our dressing room, the only ones who said there was were Redknapps pals in the press, and fans who arse kissed Redknapp.

who was talking about OUR dressing room? how did you go from chelsea to us?

edit:- my bad...i forgot you said OUR dressing room......i thought at the time you meant chelsea's dressing room. there was mutiny there....i dont know of any in our dressing room...though i was under the impression there might be before AVB actually turned up due to information i got.

sorry again

speaking of which though, out of curiosity...do you have proof that it was harry's pals per say that said anything about OUR dressing room? and the sweeping statement about those fans that said that there was...is there any evidence that they arse kissed harry? and is there even anything wrong about arse kissing a successful manager of our club? whats wrong with that? of course it being harry you may want to have protection from infection but what wrong with arse kissing a manager that brought good times?

actually i remember now, no need to answer that, i think i remember seeing that you arent really sentimental to things that have been and gone. you focus more on the now

Last edited:
Half way through the season seems a good enough time to review/judge AVB's Spurs tenure so far. some managers dont even get that long so he must be doing something right.

We are third and in the knock outs of the Europa, with an easy 3rd round of the fa cup. That too me is an excellent start to the season. What is strange about this though is the way we have got there. I am yet to be convinced by our home form but we look excellent away. this is the opposite to harry in some ways. we had a horrible blip with the arsenal thrashing, city defeat, wigan at home etc and you feel we are never too far away from that kind of result. however that was at a time when dembele was out of the team and i think our winning stats with him in the team are very impressive. i think him and sandro is literally in terms of stength the strongest we have had in a long time. that alone can take you far in the prem.

i like the way AVB carries himself as well. never seems to panic and seems to have the players on his side. situations like the dawson, lloris, adebayor ones he was getting criticised for earlier in the season (remember the ade mutiny stories) but seems to have them all playing really well and fighting for the team.

its a shame in some ways the top four race is so tight this year because we may well miss out but our recent performances have left me feeling more positive. people say we are seeing the worst arsenal team in 20 years but they are still very close and in the mix. we must beat them at the lane. everton have improved and you get the feeling they are not going to fade. dont be suprised if old liverpool get in the mix also.

AVB has certainly done a good job imo so far and will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out. you never know we might make a late title splurge but i doubt it. also think buying a new striker would be very useful.

Half way through the season seems a good enough time to review/judge AVB's Spurs tenure so far. some managers dont even get that long so he must be doing something right.

We are third and in the knock outs of the Europa, with an easy 3rd round of the fa cup. That too me is an excellent start to the season. What is strange about this though is the way we have got there. I am yet to be convinced by our home form but we look excellent away. this is the opposite to harry in some ways. we had a horrible blip with the arsenal thrashing, city defeat, wigan at home etc and you feel we are never too far away from that kind of result. however that was at a time when dembele was out of the team and i think our winning stats with him in the team are very impressive. i think him and sandro is literally in terms of stength the strongest we have had in a long time. that alone can take you far in the prem.

i like the way AVB carries himself as well. never seems to panic and seems to have the players on his side. situations like the dawson, lloris, adebayor ones he was getting criticised for earlier in the season (remember the ade mutiny stories) but seems to have them all playing really well and fighting for the team.

its a shame in some ways the top four race is so tight this year because we may well miss out but our recent performances have left me feeling more positive. people say we are seeing the worst arsenal team in 20 years but they are still very close and in the mix. we must beat them at the lane. everton have improved and you get the feeling they are not going to fade. dont be suprised if old liverpool get in the mix also.

AVB has certainly done a good job imo so far and will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out. you never know we might make a late title splurge but i doubt it. also think buying a new striker would be very useful.

well said

I've criticised him when he's got things wrong and praised him when he's got things right. But I'm not going to declare him a resounding success until the season is completed, but so far so good.

Spot on Jurgen. Balance is required - not two legs bad, four legs good (ala Animal Farm).

A fair review of AVB will not be able to be carried out until at the earliest the end of the season, but more probably the end of next season when he has had the opportunity of dealing in the transfer market. Only then can a realistic judgement be made.

No Spurs manager gets a chance to deal in the transfer market. They determine what they want then Levy tells hen what they'll get.

^ i think the next two windows will confirm this either way

why the next two..why not the one just gone and all the others prior?

lets face it, levy wont give you money unless you agree with the kind of assets he wants.

before anyone takes that pendantic like(brainiac mate, am thinking of you bro) i dont mean literally "no money at all. not even a penny"..am talking investment that shows that someone is in your corner.

if levy goes out there and spends 20 million plus...hell if he even gets moutinho then i think AVB is able to get a word in for the transfers. but as far as history is concerned , woodgate aside, Levy will only shell out money that he thinks he can recoup if things go wrong and that does not include players that dont have speculative value that makes their purchase worthwhile

Back