• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

What happens if Defoe gets injured then? Harry Kane time, yippee. Tbh, even if he doesn't go the ACN, I still think we need another striker.

And what about when the Europa League starts again? I would like to see him rest Bale and Lennon a bit more in those games.

Harry Kane is gone for the season.
If Defoe get injured then Dempsey, Dembele or Sigurdsson could easily play upfront for a game. Better than getting in another Saha, Rosiak or Frazier Campbell type. If we can gets a top striker great, but that's not gonna happen in January.

Bale and Lennon will not be rested in what AVB will see as an important knockout game in February.

I think we need to start asking measured questions about our continuous pattern of conceding late goals. Not on a rant by any means, but we need to ask the following:

- If recent concessions of late goals can be down to fatigur from the Europa league exertions, how can it be explained in the early part of the season before the EL started? I.e in ALL of our first 4 league games?
- How do you explain it in the Panathinaikps and Norwich cup games? (Other than defensive subs?)
- Are we making big assumptions that it will all be solved when Parker, Kaboul and BAE return? Or even Moutinho (or that ilk) join us? Remember this pattern of late goals happened at Chelski as well under AVB, and he had the likes of Ramires and Mata to help control possession...
- Is AVB far too 'Italian' in his approach, a la Capello or Benitez? Does he have to become a bit more gung-ho (i.e. attack being sometimes the best fopr of defence and all that...)

I'm really looking at the very staunch pro-AVB posters to discuss tehse points, such as THFCSteff, Braineclipse and the like; I'd especially appreciate your views on this issue as well as anybody else

(btw, I'm mainly pro-AVB, but I'm starting to look at wether actualy there are some things that we will have to just come to accept..)

I think we need to start asking measured questions about our continuous pattern of conceding late goals. Not on a rant by any means, but we need to ask the following:

- If recent concessions of late goals can be down to fatigur from the Europa league exertions, how can it be explained in the early part of the season before the EL started? I.e in ALL of our first 4 league games?
- How do you explain it in the Panathinaikps and Norwich cup games? (Other than defensive subs?)
- Are we making big assumptions that it will all be solved when Parker, Kaboul and BAE return? Or even Moutinho (or that ilk) join us? Remember this pattern of late goals happened at Chelski as well under AVB, and he had the likes of Ramires and Mata to help control possession...
- Is AVB far too 'Italian' in his approach, a la Capello or Benitez? Does he have to become a bit more gung-ho (i.e. attack being sometimes the best fopr of defence and all that...)

I'm really looking at the very staunch pro-AVB posters to discuss tehse points, such as THFCSteff, Braineclipse and the like; I'd especially appreciate your views on this issue as well as anybody else

(btw, I'm mainly pro-AVB, but I'm starting to look at wether actualy there are some things that we will have to just come to accept..)

Very good post.

I'm in the same position as you. I'm fully behind AVB, but the jury is still out for me. He's done a good job so far, not a great job, but not a terrible job.

Sadly I agree we probably won't get a striker in January. Don't agree about Sig or Dempsey playing up front, neither are strikers.

I rather see either of them playing upfront than Saha or Campbell. I dont wanna see another third rate striker hanging round the club on the back of an emergency for the next 3 seasons.

I don't believe its anything to with fatigue.
All to do with possession and our inability to control games with the players we have. Adebayor, VDV, Modric, Parker, BAE we all vital at helping us control games.
I dont think Chelsea had these players neither Mata yes but who else? Ramires is a Zokora type dribbler. Lampard? never can keep possession for England.

So both teams end up naturally dropping deeper at the end of games as the trailing team goes all out.

I don't believe its anything to with fatigue.
All to do with possession and our inability to control games with the players we have. Adebayor, VDV, Modric, Parker, BAE we all vital at helping us control games.
I dont think Chelsea had these players neither Mata yes but who else? Ramires is a Zokora type dribbler. Lampard? never can keep possession for England.

So both teams end up naturally dropping deeper at the end of games as the trailing team goes all out.

Interesting. However, remember that Chelski until Mata arrived had even less possession type players that last season; in the years prior they were all about power and durability. They were not commonly known for losing goals near the end of games before last season, before they bought Juan Mata.

I'm thinking that having the players that can play a good possession game is a lot less likely to be the solution than we think

I'm actually a big believer in the impact luck can have on a game. Obviously their first goal today was a poor mistake from one of our players but their second...what could coaching really have done there? The ball was hoisted up, flicked on and their player just got there first. Could happen to anyone, just a bit of a freak that it happened so soon after their first.

But there probably is something in the fact that the team don't feel comfortable yet retaining possession despite being in the lead. I'm not sure why that is. What I would guess is that if they are set up with the mindset to exploit space quickly, and with the likes of Dembele, Bale, Lennon and Defoe it's what you want to do, then it's difficult to adjust and keep the ball and shackle the instincts of those players.

I'm not really sure though. What is clear is that AVB hasn't implemented his ideal style of football yet. When he does I'm sure we will see more and more consistent performances. But for whatever reason, right now he has decided to manage on a game by game basis, altering the strategy for each. Maybe it's simply that ethos that leads to a bit of indecisiveness in the final moments of games.

I'm actually a big believer in the impact luck can have on a game. Obviously their first goal today was a poor mistake from one of our players but their second...what could coaching really have done there? The ball was hoisted up, flicked on and their player just got there first. Could happen to anyone, just a bit of a freak that it happened so soon after their first.

But there probably is something in the fact that the team don't feel comfortable yet retaining possession despite being in the lead. I'm not sure why that is. What I would guess is that if they are set up with the mindset to exploit space quickly, and with the likes of Dembele, Bale, Lennon and Defoe it's what you want to do, then it's difficult to adjust and keep the ball and shackle the instincts of those players.

I'm not really sure though. What is clear is that AVB hasn't implemented his ideal style of football yet. When he does I'm sure we will see more and more consistent performances. But for whatever reason, right now he has decided to manage on a game by game basis, altering the strategy for each. Maybe it's simply that ethos that leads to a bit of indecisiveness in the final moments of games.

Thanks for posting. Lots of food for thought there, especially the bolded bit..

Yup and teams will start playing tight against us, waiting until late to hit us hard as they know we will be vulnerable.

Plus the opposition won't give up hope of winning against us, even at 1-0 down, they will know that there's a good chance that we'll concede. That wouldn't happen for teams playing Manchester United who likely start accepting defeat if they are 1-0 down with only a minute to play.

Yup and teams will start playing tight against us, waiting until late to hit us hard as they know we will be vulnerable.

Plus the opposition won't give up hope of winning against us, even at 1-0 down, they will know that there's a good chance that we'll concede. That wouldn't happen for teams playing Manchester United who likely start accepting defeat if they are 1-0 down with only a minute to play.

Yep, this is a big worry. Hopefully we can double-bluff those thoughts and score one or two sucker punches, like against Fulham last week

Jordinho.. Did you watch the match? Perfectly executed away win? We deserved a point at very best..

I think there's a few issues. One is certainly the possession, since modric left we dont have a player that can take the heat out of games. That's why Moutinho is a must in Jan.

Secondly, I think the Europa League is having an impact on the players. If AVB is gonna play the same team on a thursday night that he does on a sunday its gonna have an impact.. He obviously felt in the summer he had enough in the squad to push on both fronts but its clear as day to me that our squad isnt as good as last season. We need to add more players in Jan if he wants to make a good go of it because we just can't cope. Everton were fresh and it told in the last ten..

Finally, mentality.. AVB is making too many defensive subs in the last ten mins and it's costing us points. I can remember the west brom game, hudd came on and they scored. Against city same thing and they scored and then today he comes on and everton get the win. We need to stay on the front foot and not go into a defensive mind set.

Spot on. Also we desperately need a replacement/understudy/like for like for Lennon. He looks too shattered to offer anything consistently going forward for a little while and today his defensive shift wasnt up to it either. Our top priority along with another CF as Ade is coasting at present and needs a good kick up the jacksie.

And the reverese is also true. WE never seem to score a crucial winning goal in the last few seconds so teams can afford to throw caution to the wind against us.

You make it sound like he is deliberately letting us put in poor performance after poor performance. Maybe he is trying to play his system and it just isnt working... and he doesnt know how to fix it.

At the moment we just look like a bunch of individuals with no real instructions. Luckily we have a quality squad.

Its funny as im watching MOTD and in terms of who scores first we are top of the league scoring first 12 times. So AVB is obviously doing something right. But he is obviously doing something wrong if you combine that with the 80 minute stats.

AVB goes attacking then last 10-20 mins he wants us to defend it out. That would be my reading into thing then again I hate stats but there is some indication there.

Its funny as im watching MOTD and in terms of who scores first we are top of the league scoring first 12 times. So AVB is obviously doing something right. But he is obviously doing something wrong if you combine that with the 80 minute stats.

AVB goes attacking then last 10-20 mins he wants us to defend it out. That would be my reading into thing then again I hate stats but there is some indication there.

We aren't playing his ideal system though. We just aren't. Only in very few games have we pressed high. Most of the time we are set up to counter attack, or at most we are significantly withdrawn in order to give the quick players space to break into.

We are going from game to game playing broadly different strategies. But we aren't putting in poor performance after poor performance. At the start they were poor. Wigan was poor. Many matches in between have been inconsistent. But we have also had many good spells.

To be honest, I've not seen many teams have consistent, 90 minute performances this season. Even Man United and Emirates Marketing Project have been really poor for that. It's the nature of the league this season. QPR and Reading are the only really poor teams so far - everyone else has players that can cause serious damage and will do so throughout any given match.

Interesting. However, remember that Chelski until Mata arrived had even less possession type players that last season; in the years prior they were all about power and durability. They were not commonly known for losing goals near the end of games before last season, before they bought Juan Mata.

I'm thinking that having the players that can play a good possession game is a lot less likely to be the solution than we think

Other than Parker, who was a honest player that will run tiredlessly for 90+min, the other all have a bit of dribbling skills and know how to run times out. I don't think the insertion of another medicore midfielder will automatically improve ball retention. We need a pace setter and some other players who know how to shield or dribble to hold on to the balls in the waning minutes. Unfortunately, there's none on the bench yesterday.

Must say AVB puts too much trust in the youngsters and substitutions. Thought it was risky to bring on the inexperienced Falque against Everton when we were defending the 1-0 lead. Also, there is the unwritten formula in football that says you don't change your team when you are leading 1-0. Making substitutions when you are only leading 1-0 will always unsettle the team. But can understand why AVB had to make those changes as some players were getting tired from playing against Panathinaikos. Unfortunately, it let Everton took advantage of the situation.

Back