• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Alcohol

Most food intolerances have come about because of modern processes whether that farming, but mainly the food industry. Food ingredients are unrecognisable from there harvested state. The majority of stuff on supermarket shelves is embarrassing. An exercise in marketing and (as always) tweaking everything to be as addictive to us humans as possible. No (despite endless packaging claims) care whatsoever regarding nutritional value.

Put simply, western diets have smashed people's gut health. Unable to process and over sensitised to a myriad of things (many it shouldn't be encountering).

Spend 6 months doing something about that and slowly reintroduce things that you were sensitive to, and it may surprise you.
And I'm not talking about supermarket snide 'sourdough' ('hey this is on trend...let's capitalise':rolleyes:) ...perhaps make your own just with flour, water, starter and a little salt, so you know what's gone in it. It's not difficult.

To say evolutionary wise we weren't naturally meant to eat bread is nonsense and dismissive of all the billions of naan, roti, pitta, tortillas, ciabatta, vetkoek, bagels, soda bread, sourdough, and humble flat breads and bread sticks ....consumed over the many centuries. Are you saying, all those people were suffering but just didn't know it?

I think it’s more that unless you’re leading a pretty active life style you don’t need all those carbs. In our evolution, pre-farming, carbs weren’t all that easy to come by. Our hunter gatherer tastes mean we love our carbs. I think there are studies that show we will overeat things like pasta. You finish a plate and you fancy more. We don’t have that hankering with meat or veg, when you’re full you don’t keep going. And as hunter gathers we’re maybe healthier with fruit veg and meat with some carbs - rather than them making up the bulk of our diet.

Most food intolerances have come about because of modern processes whether that farming, but mainly the food industry. Food ingredients are unrecognisable from there harvested state. The majority of stuff on supermarket shelves is embarrassing. An exercise in marketing and (as always) tweaking everything to be as addictive to us humans as possible. No (despite endless packaging claims) care whatsoever regarding nutritional value.

Put simply, western diets have smashed people's gut health. Unable to process and over sensitised to a myriad of things (many it shouldn't be encountering).

Spend 6 months doing something about that and slowly reintroduce things that you were sensitive to, and it may surprise you.
And I'm not talking about supermarket snide 'sourdough' ('hey this is on trend...let's capitalise':rolleyes:) ...perhaps make your own just with flour, water, starter and a little salt, so you know what's gone in it. It's not difficult.

To say evolutionary wise we weren't naturally meant to eat bread is nonsense and dismissive of all the billions of naan, roti, pitta, tortillas, ciabatta, vetkoek, bagels, soda bread, sourdough, and humble flat breads and bread sticks ....consumed over the many centuries. Are you saying, all those people were suffering but just didn't know it?

Make my own bread in a bread machine, an egg some milk and water, yeast, sugar, salt, olive oil and flour.
It won't keep once you cut it, but it's so good that isn't a problem.

I have had an up and down relationship with booze, nothing bad but felt on reflection that even moderate drinking was interfering with my health, I cut it out totally for 6 months and noticed almost instant benefits to my day to day. An extreme comparison but I've also done the same with breads and pastas and noticed the same. The reason I mention both is that I purposely reintroduced bread and oticed it actually made me feel sick, something I seemingly didn't notice at all when I was having it enmasse in the past and probably accepted as the norm, which also made me think the same about booze and it was the same. Since then I've moderated all things I have like booze, pastas, sugars etc as I think I react to them all similarly. I think with my dad being ill and hitting 40 I've started to fret about my own mortality too.

Anyway not sure that waffle is of interest but to your point, I do think there is an almost socially driven ignore button with what booze does to society at its worse while we concentrate on the ills of drugs etc. That's not to say that we shouldn't concentrate on those things but there is a huge disparity on focus considering that booze can cause IMO.

Good to hear you're feeling the health benefits mate! I've managed full years of no drinking before and was super fit at the time because gym / boxing was pretty much my main focus. It's not a helpful thing to say for people who struggle with it (me obviously being one of those people!) but things do seem more fun / interesting with booze involved, I actually quite like a good hangover too if you plan well enough to not have to do anything the day after.

The bread point is an interesting one, for me it's whole grain or nothing (apart from the occasional brioche roll for veggie burgers etc Swapping to brown versions of rice / pasta and sweet potatoes instead of normal ones is a no brainer for health boost.

Don't ever stop being a tit, we're all tits at some point, it's good to be able to laugh at yourself.

Alcohol, like everything else, is fine in moderation and if taken sensibly.
Know your limits, appreciate what it can do for you if you stay within your limits and the harm it will do if you stray out of those limits too often.

Stop throwing shade on bread.

Ha cheers, I don't mind being a tit in an endearing way but the arguing / fighting side of it isn't the best! As for the limits, I guess it's a trick of the drug itself or more of a personality thing that once I get started it's nigh impossible to not finish a bottle/ the case etc

As with many things alcohol is fine in moderation and pleasure

If it was banned the biggest loss would be the hundreds of wonderful pubs, bars, shacks etc that all of us have experienced and frequented during our lives.

None of them would be the same selling fruit juice and water.

Cigarettes though, seriously, what's the point. No upside whatsoever.

You had me up until the cig part. Cigarette and a coffee somewhere nice in good weather, can't beat it. And on nights out (I remember those) you'd actually end up having a chat with decent people just by means of being out in the smoking area.

You're right on the culture side of it, re the bars / pubs etc obviously it can be a bit of a mess on occasion but I fudgein love British drinking culture when it's good vibes (which I appreciate can be a rarity). Guinness zero is a terrific replacement which if I was in power would mandate that every restaurant/ bar would have to have it in stock

I think it’s more that unless you’re leading a pretty active life style you don’t need all those carbs. In our evolution, pre-farming, carbs weren’t all that easy to come by. Our hunter gatherer tastes mean we love our carbs. I think there are studies that show we will overeat things like pasta. You finish a plate and you fancy more. We don’t have that hankering with meat or veg, when you’re full you don’t keep going. And as hunter gathers we’re maybe healthier with fruit veg and meat with some carbs - rather than them making up the bulk of our diet.
I wasn't talking about the food plate, that will vary from person to person, (lifestyle, wealth, access etc)...I'm talking about quality (or lack of) of ingredients and composition.

Of course I agree, eating loads of carbs and sitting a lot, no good.

Last edited:
Weed, legalise it, cigs ( i smoke) are useless, booze i quit 20 years ago and do not miss at all

I find weed way to strong these days. I've had psychotic things happen way worse that I've ever had with acid. It's a million miles away from the simple grass you used to smoke at school.

Oh I fcuking love bread, just found it fascinating on what it along with other things did to my body after 30 years of not evening thinking.

Same with Coffee TBh but I still drink black coffee by the bucket load
Wheat today contains 30 times more gluten than 30 years ago. That's what makes more people sensitive to bread than before.

Wheat today contains 30 times more gluten than 30 years ago. That's what makes more people sensitive to bread than before.

Didn’t know that but have noticed a granary loaf now has wheat germ getting onto the size of peanuts.

Also walking passed the wheat fields the other day the wheat is only knee high at harvest.

The stubble in the fields all used to get burned as well -not sure when that stopped but that’s a good thing that it has.

Back