• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Advertising in Magazines

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Magazines can fudge right off with the amount of advertising they contain. I bought GQ the other day... how much advertising does it have? Well, put it this way, barring the contents page, the magazine doesn't start until page 57!! :evil: And yet we have to pay ?ú4 or so for a magazine which looks a lot more full of content than it actually is.

Half of the articles then contain links to buying goods, whether it's fashion reviews which link to company websites etc it's annoyingly evil. :evil:

I have a friend who works for smiths news, the company that transports them to the shops and he told me that hello sell advertising in their magazines based on how many they distrubite not how many they sell, he said in sussex they will print off 200,000 but they may only sell 70,000 so the returns get sent back and pulped. But they sell the advertising space on the basis that they print 200,000 seems like a massive con to me.

I have a friend who works for smiths news, the company that transports them to the shops and he told me that hello sell advertising in their magazines based on how many they distrubite not how many they sell, he said in sussex they will print off 200,000 but they may only sell 70,000 so the returns get sent back and pulped. But they sell the advertising space on the basis that they print 200,000 seems like a massive con to me.

Seems as ridiculous that they still charge fairly highly for a magazine when so many of the pages are consumed by advertising. I think it's too similar to Sky, you pay a huge subscription fee and then get swamped in regular adverts. Surely that's not right.

Both papers and magazines are slowly dying. Should be a culling of magazines over the next few years, there's just no market anymore with all the niche tv channels and websites popping up.

Soon as i saw the title of this thread i thought GQ! That mag is literally just one big advertisement brochure... And they have the cheek to charge you for the pleasure of looking at them!

Best Magazine? Shortlist and price? FREE

Its such a good magazine

Shortlist is one big ad though. Everything written in it is either a promo for something on sponsored by a brand. That's why it's free.

Back