• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue...

Talking of which, I see there's renewed speculation in the papers about Berahino. No question he has talent, none too sure about the personality. The next Darren Bent?

He seems to have much more in his locker than Bent. Looked good technically when I have seen him even when he isn't scoring.

As for Bent he got a lot of stick but in his day he always seemed to find the back of the net

Talking of which, I see there's renewed speculation in the papers about Berahino. No question he has talent, none too sure about the personality. The next Darren Bent?

I'm not sure I rate him to be honest. I remember the days when players had to have 3/4 seasons under their belt, scoring 20+ goals a season before a big move.

I am fine with giving one of the young strikers a chance. Coulthirst has already had a small taste but we must have somebody. If we did sign somebody from the championship for a temporary stop gap I don't think it would be huge payout. They wouldn't demand high wages and probably not cost a heck of a lot.

As for Soldado playing in front of Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen I am certain he has many a times especially last season and we and him looked dire

For ten minutes against Stoke. Usually he was given a combination of 3 from Sigurdsson, Paulinho, Lennon, Townsend, Holtby. Defoe got a few games, almost exclusively cup games, during September/October last season with our best AMs and actually scored 8 goals.

Darren Bent needs to go down as a lesson of the type of footballer Tottenhan should never sign.

As well as his preferred style of play not suiting us, he was a terrible pro. Sitting on the bench as sub, headphones on with eyes closed once? Disgrace.

For ten minutes against Stoke. Usually he was given a combination of 3 from Sigurdsson, Paulinho, Lennon, Townsend, Holtby. Defoe got a few games, almost exclusively cup games, during September/October last season with our best AMs and actually scored 8 goals.

forgive me for being cynical but I am tired of the excuses with Soldado. I really only want to see him in a pinch when Kane needs a rest he played yesterday with Eriksen and Chadli behind him and it sounded like it was the same as per usual.

Last edited:
forgive me for being cynical but I am tired of the excuses with Soldado. I really only want to see him in a pinch when Kane needs a rest he played yesterday with Eriksen and Chadli behind him and it sounded like it was the same as per usual.

It's not excuses, it's facts. I'm just tired of the re-writing of history to suit an agenda.

It's not excuses, it's facts. I'm just tired of the re-writing of history to suit an agenda.

Is this rewriting history I just did a quick look of his appearances where he played at least a half with what you said he hasn't played with our creative midfielders (or Kane)

WBA: Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela ; 0 goals
Besiktas: Kane ; 0 goals
City: Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela ; 0 goals
Brighton: Kane, Chadli, Lamela ; 0 goals
Villa: Chadli, Eriksen ; 0 goals
Asteras: Eriksen, Kane ; 0 goals
Hull: Eriksen, Kane, Lamela ; 0 goals
Everton: Kane Eriksen ; GOAL REJOICE
Palace: Kane, Eriksen, Lamela ;0 goals
Besiktas: Chadli ;0 goals
Swansea: Kane, Eriksen, Lamela ;0 goals
Burnley: Eriksen, Chadli; 0 goals

Last edited:
Is this rewriting history I just did a quick look of his appearances where he played at least a half with what you said he hasn't played with our creative midfielders (or Kane)

WBA: Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela ; 0 goals
Besiktas: Kane ; 0 goals
City: Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela ; 0 goals
Brighton: Kane, Chadli, Lamela ; 0 goals
Villa: Chadli, Eriksen ; 0 goals
Asteras: Eriksen, Kane ; 0 goals
Hull: Eriksen, Kane, Lamela ; 0 goals
Everton: Kane Eriksen ; GOAL REJOICE
Palace: Kane, Eriksen, Lamela ;0 goals
Besiktas: Chadli ;0 goals
Swansea: Kane, Eriksen, Lamela ;0 goals
Burnley: Eriksen, Chadli; 0 goals

That's not last season.

That's not last season.

What does that matter? What about this season? Last season Kane came close to matching his goal tally in 6 starts. I do not have an agenda against Soldado at all I am just calling a spade a spade. He has been absolutely woeful for us. I want every player who pulls on our shirt to do well but the excuses are never ending as to why it doesn't happen for him

What does that matter? What about this season? Last season Kane came close to matching his goal tally in 6 starts. I do not have an agenda against Soldado at all I am just calling a spade a spade. He has been absolutely woeful for us. I want every player who pulls on our shirt to do well but the excuses are never ending as to why it doesn't happen for him

Why do they have to be seen as excuses? Could it not be that there are legitimate reasons for why it hasn't worked out? The excuse card is played far too often when someone tries to come up with possible explanations. He hasn't succeeded, but it's not entirely his fault. It's not really a very interesting topic any longer, but he hasn't, IMO, really been given a run in a team that can supply him.

Why do they have to be seen as excuses? Could it not be that there are legitimate reasons for why it hasn't worked out? The excuse card is played far too often when someone tries to come up with possible explanations. He hasn't succeeded, but it's not entirely his fault. It's not really a very interesting topic any longer, but he hasn't, IMO, really been given a run in a team that can supply him.

Well I think part of it is he hasn't earned a run in the team. Chances he does get he snatches at or worse yet he rarely seems to be getting into dangerous positions which I thought was his forte at Valencia. As you say with the emergence of Kane it isn't really an interesting or relevant topic unless GHod forbid Kane gets injured.

Clearly his confidence is shot and even the odd goal we hoped would turn things around hasn't he just returns to the previous run of form. Sure there were factors the last two seasons which haven't helped him but a player of his previous pedigree you would think would eventually overcome them and at least hit a purple patch. IMO he just seems to have lost "it" kind of like Torres and other strikers who just fall off a cliff out of nowhere. Unfortunately we are in a position where he is still our second (and really only other option). So it is even more of a worry where as Chelsea could just flog off Torres and buy a few more quality strikers to replace him we don't seem to have that luxury.

No, Benteke is the next Darren Bent

To me that is a ridiculous comment. Bent was successful because Charlton were set up simply to provide him with chances, playing deep and then launching counter attacks exploiting Bent's pace. Benteke's goals come from his own making, whether an imperious header, a thunderous shot from the edge of the box, a tap in or a solo run. Bent never had this level of diversity in his game - plus, for all the dissing he still gets, I would LOVE Sold-a-dud to score HALF the goals that Bent did in our colours. This I truly find hypocritical... posters who slated Bent finding every excuse in book to excuse the Spaniard's complete waste of space on the pitch. Even when he doesn't score, Beneteke's physical presence unsettles the opposing defence and creates spaces for his teammates to exploit - or they would if he wasplaying for a half decent team other than Villa

Benteke in a Spurs shirt, with Kane up front, would be legendary....

To me that is a ridiculous comment. Bent was successful because Charlton were set up simply to provide him with chances, playing deep and then launching counter attacks exploiting Bent's pace. Benteke's goals come from his own making, whether an imperious header, a thunderous shot from the edge of the box, a tap in or a solo run. Bent never had this level of diversity in his game - plus, for all the dissing he still gets, I would LOVE Sold-a-dud to score HALF the goals that Bent did in our colours. This I truly find hypocritical... posters who slated Bent finding every excuse in book to excuse the Spaniard's complete waste of space on the pitch. Even when he doesn't score, Beneteke's physical presence unsettles the opposing defence and creates spaces for his teammates to exploit - or they would if he wasplaying for a half decent team other than Villa

I was being flippant - apologies. Where Bent and Benteke are definitely very similar is that both are/were awful with their back to goal. They need the ball played goal-side of them or over to the top so that the can run on to it. Personally, I dont think that works very well for us given that teams come to the lane and defend deep so there isnt the space in behind. We need a CF who, as well as being a greater goalscorer, can link up play - I therefore dont think that Benteke is the answer for us

preach on

Bent 32 league starts for us 18 goals we have had much worse he also scored 24 for Sunderland the season after we sold him and we couldn't find anyone who could score but let's all pile on how about how **** he was

I was being flippant - apologies. Where Bent and Benteke are definitely very similar is that both are/were awful with their back to goal. They need the ball played goal-side of them or over to the top so that the can run on to it. Personally, I dont think that works very well for us given that teams come to the lane and defend deep so there isnt the space in behind. We need a CF who, as well as being a greater goalscorer, can link up play - I therefore dont think that Benteke is the answer for us

Benteke can certainly link up play problem for him most times is Villa sit so deep defending he has absolutely no support, Bent was a poacher the two are not similar at all imo

No probs!!

I don't agree with you however. I think Benteke's hold up play is actually pretty decent and getting better every season. UNlike powder puff Bent, the Belgian is so strong and has such good ball control that he cannot be sh*t as a target man. But above all, we need a goal scorer, especially when we play against the packed defences you quite rightly pinpoint. We need someone who will bully packed defences, we need a player who will draw two defenders onto him and still be able to beat them physically or at least disrupt a packed defence to open spaces for his teammates. For me that player is Christian Benteke...

Kane was not given a run in the team this season, he just had League Cup and Europe Cup Matches and took his chance and look at him now.

I like Soldado, he tries, I want him to do well, but I fear when he next becomes a goal scoring maching he will be playing in Spain or Italy

The last time they all played together was the Stoke game which now looks like it was the nadir of our season (hopefully, anyway). Since then Capoue has made a subs appearance in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine cup game and Kaboul played in Turkey, both games several weeks ago. Adebayor hasn't been seen at all.

I know it's been said that these three were identified as the bad apples and have been frozen out since some kind of confrontation took place and the fact that we've been on a very good run since their disappearance suggests that they maybe were the malign influences that were leading to our regular moribund appearances. (Surprised at Kabul though who, pre-Poch, always seemed like a good, committed pro).

But is there any ITK that I've missed regarding the real story here? And is there any prospect of offloading any of them before February? I mean, they're not **** players are they?

In a nutshell, collectively they have stuck together to defy the manager on certain issues, the manager has stuck to his guns, the chairman is backing the manager and whether they can be offloaded or stay, you can safely say they are very much on the outer fringes. It has been spoken of in detail (specific incidents, denials, etc) but generally speaking this became an issue of a changing guard in the dressing room, a manager doing it slowly and giving people a chance and those chances not being taken in a very non-judgemental, transparent way so that no-one can say the manager didn't try. To be fair, if the players involved had stepped up and delivered, the club would've won there too. Either way it's been a bit of a 'win-win' as it's sorted out some deep dividers on all levels and shown the sort of man Poch is. He is, for me, nothing short of excellent in how he's dealt with everything. Not one person has been 'sold out' to the press, despite their sniffing for filth...

The likes of Bony or Benteke would be good but I doubt if we'd be in for either of them now.

Benteke is actualy a whole lot better than people give him credit for .

If you get the chance, watch him play for Belgium rather than for that horrible Villa team Lambert has assembled. He linked up well as the Belgium team patiently passed their way through the Scottish team, both home and away and then, when they relied on counter attacks away to Serbia after his early headed goal, he played a big part in both the second and third goals in an impressive 3-0 win

Last edited:
Back