• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adama Traore

7 goals and 14 assists in 142 premier league games, is not doing well.

Bergwijns stats are better 4 goals, 5 assists in 37 games.

For £40m, not for me. We just bought gil.

No doubt Traore is not polished, but it would be good to see what he could do with better players and if he can mature himself as a player. I wanted him when he would have been a cheap punt, and Poch wanted a player to break through a defence. I was castigated. "He's just a sprinter" etc. Which is clearly not the case. He can finish and pass (not consistently is the area for improvement) and his close control is expectational. The ability is there, a good manager should be able to get him playing. I thought Poch could have really changed his career, and ignited him. If we do sign him and Poch returns, maybe he will :)

Last edited:
I appear to be in the minority but I think he’d be a great signing. This no end product is a bit of a myth, he’s not the best at it but if he were, as someone else mentioned above, he’d be worth £100m+

He put in a couple of great crosses on Sunday which their strikers failed to convert and only a great save from lloris prevented him scoring and changing the entire narrative surrounding him from that game

This Traore link is actually an interesting insight into Spurs fan psychology.

I regularly hear on here people scream about Levy, splash the cash, open your wallet, back the manager. So should he back the manager?

Fans will always find something to bitch about

From my perspective, I've never been a fan of Traore, he's a chaos engine with less end product than any of Lucas, Lamela, Bergwijn

That said, if Nuno wants him, Paratici feels he fits and the player wants to come .. then in your words -> back the manager

I don't think it's pure conjecture. He seems more than capable of coming out on top in a close fought physical duel more often than not. He can lay the ball of, he can find the simple pass to keep possession higher up the pitch and build from there.

Just looking at our game on Sunday Tanganga tried to make it a close fought physical duel when Traore received the ball and more often than not Traore came out on top. And Tanganga is really bloody good in those situations himself.

Just to be clear, the point of comparison here for me is all of our attacking players other than Harry Kane.

Some player pings a hopeful ball forward towards one of our forwards. Who in our team would you back to keep possession more often than Traore in that kind of situation?
I'm not doubting his physical strength, quite opposite, what I'm doubting is the tactic of 'how' you get the ball to him being as successful as Wolves approach. ie they pass it simply to him and he does his damage from there. He likes to run with the ball rather than after it. And I think that's more effective as you take players out the game as you beat them.

I'm not doubting his physical strength, quite opposite, what I'm doubting is the tactic of 'how' you get the ball to him being as successful as Wolves approach. ie they pass it simply to him and he does his damage from there. He likes to run with the ball rather than after it. And I think that's more effective as you take players out the game as you beat them.
In a word we get him the ball imperfectly. The same way we get the ball to Son, Lucas or Bergwijn, not very well unless we play better ball playing midfielders and defenders. Only Traore would keep the ball more than them because, well, he's better at that I think.

In an ideal world we'd get him and other attackers the ball with sharp accurate passes played through lines of pressure. He would do very little to change our ability to do that for better or worse. If there's a press resistant midfielder with crisp passing capable of doing the defensive work needed in our current system available to be signed instead I'd be all for it.

Against teams that sit back more we can obviously do the Wolves thing and hand him the ball, ask him to run at players if we want to.

It is silly to say - don't use the wing, play centrally. He can go where the space is. I think Hazard at chel$ea would be a good role model for him to emulate. His dribbling is actually better than Hazard's which is no mean feat. He can play off the wing. And either get to the by line and offer pullback crosses for the forwards to be ready to convert; or cut into space in the middle and shoot/pass, which is what Hazard would do so well - leave the wing a few meters in front of the box, cut in to the box, and fire off a shot. Traore is faster than Hazard and less controlled - and that is the issue. Hazard kept his speed in reserve for when he needed it, Traore explodes into a sprint making it harder to pass or shoot.

I would try and get him to perfect his ability running in off the left wing to shoot, and when that is closed down, use the wing to get in behind. His close control is second to...? Only a handful of others can carry the ball as well at speed.
The only wrinkle in your plan is that he can't shoot or pass very well.

The only wrinkle in your plan is that he can't shoot or pass very well.

If he could, we couldn’t afford him.

That is stating the obvious. But if you watch him play or even a YouTube video you can see he has technique. Consistency. Composure. Slowing down. These are the things he needs to add. The right manager might be able to help him develop these traits. As Billy highlighted, Nuno is maybe not the right person as he’s been with him for 4 years. Nuno is comfortable for Traore when he needs someone to challenge him. I’m speculating here. No doubt he has done okay under Nuno. I would have liked to have seen what Poch would have done with a 21 year old Traore.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Zilch end product. No thanks.

For a product of Barcelona, his on the ball thinking needs massive help. He is strong and can get the ball forward but then what? He is exciting to watch but he has less end product than our worst winger from last season.

Funny how some players are apparently still coachable at 25 yet others apparently aren't and are written off.

All depending on whether the observer fancies them for the team or not ...
I'm sure there's some personal bias creeping in to discussions like this.

For me technical aspects of the game are very unlikely to improve much/enough at 25 (earlier actually), but decision making, consistency and smartness are more likely to develop.

Thus I wouldn't expect Traore to start bending in shots from the edge of the box consistently at all. I wouldn't expect him to become a clinical finisher. Wouldn't expect him to expand his passing range much.

Improved decisions on and off the ball, a bit more consistency, making more of the attributes he does have by playing a different role. Those are at least plausible.

That is stating the obvious. But if you watch him play or even a YouTube video you can see he has technique. Consistency. Composure. Slowing down. These are the things he needs to add. The right manager might be able to help him develop these traits. As Billy highlighted, Nuno is maybe not the right person as he’s been with him for 4 years. Nuno is comfortable for Traore when he needs someone to challenge him. I’m speculating here. No doubt he has done okay under Nuno. I would have liked to have seen what Poch would have done with a 21 year old Traore.

The Nuno factor is an interesting one.

Personally I could see it from two perspectives. One the one you mentioned, that others have too. He's been working under Nuno for years without truly fulfilling his potential, perhaps some other manager could get more out of him, develop him or use him in a different way.

On the other hand I think Traore has made significant improvements under Nuno, perhaps Nuno is the right man to keep developing him.

We also don't quite know why Nuno has used him the way he did at Wolves. Perhaps he does have a plan to challenge Traore in a different way than he has in the past. Perhaps his plans and possibilities with our squad allows Nuno to use Traore in a different way than he did at Wolves?

If true that Nuno loves Traore and really wants him here I think he should get the credit and respect that we assume he'd be doing so with a plan that isn't Traore getting 2 goals and 2 assists being in and out of the team as an ineffective speed/power merchant that dribbles well and then does very little.

My friend I've watched the guy every since his days Barca B, actually even before then I remember when he was first breaking through into the Juvenil side he was quite a phenom but lack of killer instinct has always been there and has not significantly improved.

I don't see that coming to Spurs will change anything, he's always going to be a blunt tool. He's not going to suddenly add key passes and shot taking to his attributes at 25. He's had some of the best schooling in football and still can't do its not going to happen now.

Funny how some players are apparently still coachable at 25 yet others apparently aren't and are written off.

All depending on whether the observer fancies them for the team or not ...
No player is able to add attributes they don't already possess at 25. It's never happened.

A player may become more refined or more consistent but those qualities already exist in their game or not by that age.

My friend I've watched the guy every since his days Barca B, actually even before then I remember when he was first breaking through into the Juvenil side he was quite a phenom but lack of killer instinct has always been there and has not significantly improved.

I don't see that coming to Spurs will change anything, he's always going to be a blunt tool. He's not going to suddenly add key passes and shot taking to his attributes at 25. He's had some of the best schooling in football and still can't do its not going to happen now.

What happens at 25? Do people stop learning and developing? Alli is currently learning how to play CM. He's a similar age. He didn't look too good there in pre-season, now he's developing into the role. How is this possible when he's 25? :)

As outlined, Traore can pass and finish. There are plenty of examples of it. You presumably just watched a game where he put in 3 or 4 decent crosses in one game - more than most manage in a game. You can see examples of him scoring goals too. As mentioned already, his development are more things like slowing down at the right moments, learning from more senior players like Kane on how to finish and be composed in front of goal, and taking the next step. At 25 you are still learning. Son was not as svelt as he is now, and has developed over the past 4 years as have plenty of other players.

Last edited:
The Nuno factor is an interesting one.

Personally I could see it from two perspectives. One the one you mentioned, that others have too. He's been working under Nuno for years without truly fulfilling his potential, perhaps some other manager could get more out of him, develop him or use him in a different way.

On the other hand I think Traore has made significant improvements under Nuno, perhaps Nuno is the right man to keep developing him.

We also don't quite know why Nuno has used him the way he did at Wolves. Perhaps he does have a plan to challenge Traore in a different way than he has in the past. Perhaps his plans and possibilities with our squad allows Nuno to use Traore in a different way than he did at Wolves?

If true that Nuno loves Traore and really wants him here I think he should get the credit and respect that we assume he'd be doing so with a plan that isn't Traore getting 2 goals and 2 assists being in and out of the team as an ineffective speed/power merchant that dribbles well and then does very little.

I agree, if the manager knows this player well and feels he can give him what he wants it's less of a risk than someone not use to this league. I have yet to believe he is good enough.

This Traore link is actually an interesting insight into Spurs fan psychology.

I regularly hear on here people scream about Levy, splash the cash, open your wallet, back the manager. So should he back the manager?

If you want an insight into fan psychology, go on to City forums now

- Kane was never worth the money, washed up, injury prone, glass ankles, etc. etc.

So Spurs haven't reach agreement then?

I guess, if you believe that quote, we have agreed the price we would pay given that there is an olbigation to buy however question is over structure

I had a quick look at a Wolves forum and all the same things which are discussed on this thread were discussed on there too

Back