• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Tony Pulis, the new West Brom boss, is targeting Spurs winger Aaron Lennon – after being handed an astonishing £30million war chest, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People.

When he began negotiations to take over from sacked former boss Alan Irvine, Pulis was told by the Baggies' chairman Jeremy Peace he has up to £30m to spend in the next two transfer windows.

Given the tight financial constraints imposed by Peace on his previous managers, it’s an amazing break with the club’s normal policy.

But Pulis told Peace he would only take the job if serious funds were made available to, firstly, keep Albion in the top flight and, secondly, allow him to strengthen the squad in the summer.

Striker Saido Berahino WILL be sacrificed, with West Brom having slapped an eight-figure price tag on the young star.

That money will be handed over to Pulis and the former Stoke and Crystal Palace boss has made out-of-favour Tottenham flyer Lennon a January target.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will demand around £9m for the 27-year-old winger, also linked with Pulis' former club, Stoke.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-eye-transfers-aaron-4914516

Apparently he's after Crouch as well. Harry won't be happy.

Tony Pulis, the new West Brom boss, is targeting Spurs winger Aaron Lennon – after being handed an astonishing £30million war chest, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People.

When he began negotiations to take over from sacked former boss Alan Irvine, Pulis was told by the Baggies' chairman Jeremy Peace he has up to £30m to spend in the next two transfer windows.

Given the tight financial constraints imposed by Peace on his previous managers, it’s an amazing break with the club’s normal policy.

But Pulis told Peace he would only take the job if serious funds were made available to, firstly, keep Albion in the top flight and, secondly, allow him to strengthen the squad in the summer.

Striker Saido Berahino WILL be sacrificed, with West Brom having slapped an eight-figure price tag on the young star.

That money will be handed over to Pulis and the former Stoke and Crystal Palace boss has made out-of-favour Tottenham flyer Lennon a January target.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will demand around £9m for the 27-year-old winger, also linked with Pulis' former club, Stoke.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-eye-transfers-aaron-4914516

Apparently he's after Crouch as well. Harry won't be happy.

Pulis having a war chest can only be good news for us.

Lennon was a 20 million pound+ player in his prime and would have made a good addition to the squads of Man Utd or Liverpool a few years ago - but there are other aspects to him that would have deterred any bids or received a negative response to any approach made to him. He seems a very private person with a borderline social anxiety issue who would struggle to settle in a new environment, especially one with more of a spotlight on him. He also seems very well settled in London and seems to not want to head back north.

Regarding his current situation, I think Poch rates him but his muscle problems are becoming endemic and he's going to offer diminishing returns so now is probably the best time to move him on.

If Lennon had more belief in his ability he'd be a certain starter. He is a frustrating player to watch when out of form, he goes to beat a player and just stops and passes the ball back. And imo, he has never really formed a good partnership with Walker as he did with Corluka for instance. But then he has not had a long run in the team this season under Poch.

I think it would be a huge mistake to sell him now though, unless he wants out. We don't have another player like him and with so many games coming up he'll get games and as others have said he is a great option to have on the bench.

If Lennon had more belief in his ability he'd be a certain starter. He is a frustrating player to watch when out of form, he goes to beat a player and just stops and passes the ball back. And imo, he has never really formed a good partnership with Walker as he did with Corluka for instance. But then he has not had a long run in the team this season under Poch.

I think it would be a huge mistake to sell him now though, unless he wants out. We don't have another player like him and with so many games coming up he'll get games and as others have said he is a great option to have on the bench.

I trust Poch on this. If he thinks it's a mistake to sell him he'll keep him around. Like quite a few players the talent is there and it all depends on how they respond to Poch as their manager and our new system. Pochettino has shown that he will give people a chance and the word from the players seems to be that only commitment and constant hard work is good enough.

Lennon is a decent player, but he simply doesn't fit the system Poch wants to play. In that system all of the front 4 have to be a goal threat, able to cut inside and shot, or make quick passes in thight areas. Lennon is a typical wide winger, and just isn't a goal threat other than in the odd counter-attack situations. And to be fair, composure isn't his best feature. Nothing "wrong" with him, just doesn't fit. Better sell now when he still has some value. He can do a good job somewhere else.

Lennon is a decent player, but he simply doesn't fit the system Poch wants to play. In that system all of the front 4 have to be a goal threat, able to cut inside and shot, or make quick passes in thight areas. Lennon is a typical wide winger, and just isn't a goal threat other than in the odd counter-attack situations. And to be fair, composure isn't his best feature. Nothing "wrong" with him, just doesn't fit. Better sell now when he still has some value. He can do a good job somewhere else.

None of our right sided options are much of a goal threat in fairness.

poch has given townsend more opportunities for sure..

i still think that lennon is a superior player, but the issue here is who poch thinks he can get the most of. from what I've seen, my guess is that poch is better with younger players and that gives townsend an edge.

Disagree, the couple of times before his last injury Lennon looked like he balanced Poch's side extremely well, and he got 2 assists in 2 games

Lennon may not be a direct goal threat, but is an intelligent player, adds pace, is hard working, to me is the option to play right now between Lennon/Lamela/Townsend.

Well, it looks like Poch agrees with me......The future potential of Lamela, and maybe also Towsend, are superior by a country mile to Lennon! Is there much improvement left in Lennon? Not very likely, more likely that he is regressing. That's why it makes sense to sell him now, while his value is decent. Don't get me wrong, I like Lennon, but it's a time for everything, and I think it's time for Lennon to go.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like Poch agrees with me......The future potential of Lamela, and maybe also Towsend, are superior by a country mile to Lennon! Is there much improvement left in Lennon? Not very likely, more likely that he is regressing. That's why it makes sense to sell him now, while his value is decent.

If that ever happens ....

To me Lennon is a good safety (predictable performance) option and good #2 for the spot (neither Townsend/Lamela will be happy being #2)

Poch will make his call, but don't see it myself

Well, it looks like Poch agrees with me......The future potential of Lamela, and maybe also Towsend, are superior by a country mile to Lennon! Is there much improvement left in Lennon? Not very likely, more likely that he is regressing. That's why it makes sense to sell him now, while his value is decent.

Don't disagree with much you have said but part of me thinks it is smart to keep hold of Lennon at least until the summer for cover. I don't think we really need the money at the moment as doesn't look like we are looking to spend much if anything this window. Better suited to have him as an option if needed due to injuries than do with the 5 to 7m or whatever we would get for Lennon

Lennon on his day was a match winner, at 27 though I think he is suffering from Ajax syndrome, or burn out.

I would cash in now to be honest

Was watching a training video just before Christmas and in one of the clips Lennon was acting the floater knocking a new ball in when one went out. Usually I wouldn't read too much into it but they were playing a match :/

Aaron Lennon: faster than my car!

He's been one of my favourite Spurs players for almost a decade. Scary that he's been around so long and isn't even 28. Remember him scoring the winner against Chelsea, and absolutely tearing it up for a couple of seasons playing in front of Corluka -- who was also one of my favourites. Azza's just not been the same since Corluka left, and our right side has never carried anything like the same threat.

I remember a "Can you handle the pace?" trailer a few years back, featuring Bale, Lennon, Walker and Defoe all running at hapless defenders. Those were the days!

I'd LOVE it if Lennon got his form back for Spurs, but I don't think it's ever going to happen, for whatever reason. It'd genuinely please me to see him do well at another club -- that's how much man-love I've got for the little guy. Not sure if I could forgive him scoring against us, mind.

Lennon on his day was a match winner, at 27 though I think he is suffering from Ajax syndrome, or burn out.

I would cash in now to be honest

I think this is it sadly. Persistent muscle injuries - groin and hamstring - are really gonna limit the rest of his career. I don't see him ever having another 30 game season - not with us or anyone.

Exclusive: Hull City in move to sign Aaron Lennon from Tottenham Hotspur

Hull City are tracking Tottenham and England winger Aaron Lennon in an ambitious bid to sharpen their attacking edge this month.

City have made contact with Spurs in the last seven days and are keen on offering Lennon a route out of White Hart Lane before the transfer deadline on February 2.

Tottenham have made it clear they are open to offers for the 27-year-old during the January window but it is understood several obstacles stand in the Tigers’ way of sealing a big deal.

Spurs would prefer to cash in on Lennon this month, freeing up funds to strengthen elsewhere, but City’s tight financial constraints currently limit the club to loan deals.

A temporary move with a view to buy in the summer, similar to the deal that brought Jake Livermore from Spurs to the KC Stadium, could bring a middle ground between the two clubs, but there are several Premier League clubs also monitoring Lennon’s situation.

Everton have been strongly linked with a potential swap deal involving Kevin Mirallas, while QPR and Stoke are two more clubs who have reportedly courted his services in the past.

Lennon may yet prefer to bide his time until the summer before moving, when he will have just 12 months remaining on his Spurs deal, but his days at White Hart Lane are numbered under Mauricio Pochettino.

The Leeds-born winger has started just three Premier League games this season, the most recent coming at the start of December, and is not considered to be part of Pochettino’s long-term plans.

The end, therefore, is nigh for an association with Spurs that began in 2005, when moving from Leeds United for £1m as a highly-rated teenager.

Lennon has racked up over 350 appearances for Tottenham, showing form that won him 21 England caps up to 2013, but City hope he can be tempted to follow the path of former team-mates Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone and Livermore to the KC.

Those three have all swapped North London for East Yorkshire in the last 18 months but the Tigers are fully aware they will face stiff competition to land Lennon.

Having written off the experiment of Hatem Ben Arfa last month, tearing up the mercurial Frenchman’s ill-fated loan from Saudi Sportswashing Machine, City are in the market for an added threat from wide.

Lennon, a right-footed winger, gave a demonstration of his quality when helping to inspire Tottenham’s 2-1 win at the KC Stadium in November and has the proven top-flight pedigree.

However, any deal for Lennon would have to fit within a tight framework this month.

Already close to their wage cap and with little room for manoeuvre during the final 11 days of the window, City have the £50,000-a-week and loan spot freed up by Ben Arfa’s departure to recruit a new signing on temporary terms.

The Tigers’ board are willing to sanction a move on those sums but any further activity in the market may well hinge on moving a player out.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Exclusive-Hull-City-sign-Aaron-Lennon-Tottenham/story-25901326-detail/story.html

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says he wouldn't stand in the way of Aaron Lennon if he wanted to move.

Lennon has found first-team opportunities scarce this season, and was an unused substitute against Sheffield United on Wednesday evening.

"You need to ask him about his situation and whether or not he is happy," said Pochettino.

"He doesn't need to speak to me about that.

"All players that aren't in my starting eleven want to play and I know that."

Notwithstanding the unsubstantiated rumours about rebellion in the ranks I'll be very sorry to see Azza go.

He deserves the chance of regular first team football however which looks increasingly unlikely if he stays, so the best of luck to him.

I like Lennon, but I have been frustrated by the fact that when he does start I rarely see him do the one thing he use to excel at which was causing havoc by running at defenders. Remember the good old days when he used to make players like Evra his biatch? Nowadays he always seems to just play the simple pass backwards. Sure he is helps out defensively but first and foremost he should be an offensive player but I just do not see enough of that.

Personally I would give him until the end of the season to up his game

Back