• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A lesson for Harry from "Goliath"

NYSpur

Andy Gray
Not the Philistine giant but a documentary about the basketball great, Wilt Chamberlain. Here was a 7 foot plus super athlete who was so good that they changed rules to make him less effective. Who scored 100 points in a game. And who, at various times, was called a "loser" and a jinx because teams that he was on did not win a title. Who was said to only be concerned about his stats and was unable to get his team over the line. Sound like anyone we know?

The lesson I took from watching the documentary was that the most successful athletes will always have their haters and that it is ridiculous to call a standout performer a loser when he is not the only guy on the team. The scary part for Wilt the Stilt was that he was getting hit with negativity even after he had won a couple of titles. It then became the case that he was not successful enough as he had not won as many as his nemesis, Bill Russell. One wonders if something similar would happen to Harry even if he won the Bundesliga with Bayern. As the documentary noted, no one roots for a Goliath.

The whole notion of footballers being remembered purely on their merits is just pure gonad*s anyway. Fans remember footballers, especially the ones that are loyal. Fans don't necessarily remember players that swing by and wins a trophy (Woodgate was the latest player to literally win us a trophy - I like him and all, but he's not particularly well remembered in our club history, is he?). I'm sure there are plenty of world cup winners out there that arent particularly fondly remembered by anyone. Be a club man, and you've got friends for life. Always chasing glory and fame - you'll end up all alone sooner than you know.

People on here are just guessing what Kane wants or wants to be remembered by, trying to search for excuses why he might aswell stay at Spurs.

He's just an elite footballer who likely wants to experience being at a successful club where he can win things. It's really not that deep....

People on here are just guessing what Kane wants or wants to be remembered by, trying to search for excuses why he might aswell stay at Spurs.

He's just an elite footballer who likely wants to experience being at a successful club where he can win things. It's really not that deep....

The beauty of the forum though ey, people are guessing on both sides but people can also give opinion and examples from the past where romance over weighed logic.

Sometimes it's hard not to be romantic about football, it's probably the last part of the game we have left

The beauty of the forum though ey, people are guessing on both sides but people can also give opinion and examples from the past where romance over weighed logic.

Sometimes it's hard not to be romantic about football, it's probably the last part of the game we have left
The only facts are that Kane wanted to go City and he has agreed terms with Bayern if a deal can be done with Levy. That makes it clear he wants to go to an elite club.

Agree regarding the romance side of football, but even that is in short supply in modern day football:(....

The only facts are that Kane wanted to go City and he has agreed terms with Bayern if a deal can be done with Levy. That makes it clear he wants to go to an elite club.

Agree regarding the romance side of football, but even that is in short supply in modern day football:(....

That he has apparently agreed terms with bayern and is prepared to put his family through the upheaval of a move at this particular point really is an indication of how keen he is for a move, and why I think it's best we allow him to move on.

Beautifully put, Grays. Football isn't anything without romance. Winning trophies? Sure, we all want that. But without romance? fudge it. If our team is an ice cold team of cynics lead by a cynic, will the trophy really taste all that good? fudge no it won't. We need more romance in the game. As you say, it's all we have left.

Not the Philistine giant but a documentary about the basketball great, Wilt Chamberlain. Here was a 7 foot plus super athlete who was so good that they changed rules to make him less effective. Who scored 100 points in a game. And who, at various times, was called a "loser" and a jinx because teams that he was on did not win a title. Who was said to only be concerned about his stats and was unable to get his team over the line. Sound like anyone we know?

The lesson I took from watching the documentary was that the most successful athletes will always have their haters and that it is ridiculous to call a standout performer a loser when he is not the only guy on the team. The scary part for Wilt the Stilt was that he was getting hit with negativity even after he had won a couple of titles. It then became the case that he was not successful enough as he had not won as many as his nemesis, Bill Russell. One wonders if something similar would happen to Harry even if he won the Bundesliga with Bayern. As the documentary noted, no one roots for a Goliath.

I'd never heard of this guy until last week, his name came up on The Chase quiz show question, who scored 100 pts in NBA game Jordan, O'Neill or Chamberlain, contestant got it wrong, ignoring the golden rule of picking the one you've never heard of, they are there for a reason.

The whole notion of footballers being remembered purely on their merits is just pure gonad*s anyway. Fans remember footballers, especially the ones that are loyal. Fans don't necessarily remember players that swing by and wins a trophy (Woodgate was the latest player to literally win us a trophy - I like him and all, but he's not particularly well remembered in our club history, is he?). I'm sure there are plenty of world cup winners out there that arent particularly fondly remembered by anyone. Be a club man, and you've got friends for life. Always chasing glory and fame - you'll end up all alone sooner than you know.
Agreed. While success helps, there are plenty of forgotten players with plenty of trophies...and plenty of remembered players who won bugger all.

Which players do I remember from the 90s? Le Tissier, for a start, but also the likes of Nolberto Solano, Zola, Beardsley and so on. Even Faustino Asprilla! Sure, some of them won things, but I'm pretty sure I'd remember them regardless.

The big example is Shearer. He won precisely one trophy. If it was all about trophies, he'd be on a level with Tim Sherwood and David Batty. If Kane beats his record, he'll be remembered for decades even if he won nothing.

Agreed. While success helps, there are plenty of forgotten players with plenty of trophies...and plenty of remembered players who won bugger all.

Which players do I remember from the 90s? Le Tissier, for a start, but also the likes of Nolberto Solano, Zola, Beardsley and so on. Even Faustino Asprilla! Sure, some of them won things, but I'm pretty sure I'd remember them regardless.

The big example is Shearer. He won precisely one trophy. If it was all about trophies, he'd be on a level with Tim Sherwood and David Batty. If Kane beats his record, he'll be remembered for decades even if he won nothing.

I agree people remember the player not the trophies but I bet if you asked anyone who has followed football since PL existed they wouldn't know of Dixie Dean who scored 60 goals in a season until Haaland started well.

I was going to bring up the example of Shrearer as well. Yes he won the PL with Blackburn, mainly due to United's result on the final day. He went to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and won precisely nothing. He's still a Geordie Legend though. Harry could be the same at Spurs. Record breaker, one club man, statue at the ground, etc, etc.

Being cynical, it's as more about the £s for any player. League titles and legendary status are a bonus. Harry (and most top level footballers) do not need any more money, they just can't turn it down.

Being cynical, it's as more about the £s for any player. League titles and legendary status are a bonus. Harry (and most top level footballers) do not need any more money, they just can't turn it down.

Its the same old story, the more you got the more you want.

Exactly! This idea of how important it is to win a trophy is really just a peak capitalist mindset, that has crept into football over the years alongside all the dirty money.

I agree people remember the player not the trophies but I bet if you asked anyone who has followed football since PL existed they wouldn't know of Dixie Dean who scored 60 goals in a season until Haaland started well.

Bet you most everton fans knew exactly who he was.

If Kane only wins Bundesligas they will have the same value to many negative fans of other clubs as a charity shield

If he wins the balon dior or cl?
He has to win those first
I don’t see that happening
I’ve said it before but the teams form here are better than Bayern
The Spanish two too
Any idea who is starting in goal for Bayern this season ?

He has to win those first
I don’t see that happening
I’ve said it before but the teams form here are better than Bayern
The Spanish two too
Any idea who is starting in goal for Bayern this season ?

He might not win them. But his chances increase considerably playing for byern. If he can get 30 goals for us how many could he get for them?

He might not win them. But his chances increase considerably playing for byern. If he can get 30 goals for us how many could he get for them?
About 30 I reckon
It’s quite a selfish team now
They have some real issues with the players not wanting to play certain ways or certain positions
Their Xg last season ended up +3. They score a lot of chances already
They have a lot to sort out from what I’ve read and heard
Such as who starts in goal whilst Neur is injured

and as I’ve said, repeatedly, for me the English and Spanish sides, plus possibly an Italian aid focussing on the CL would be more likely winners

Back