• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A billion stars.

The amazing part is those photos are just images from millions/billions of years ago. It takes years for light to travel that distance, so we don't even know what it looks like today up there.

INTERESTING FACT: It takes 8 minutes for sunlight to reach Earth. So when we see the sun, we see how the sun looked 8 minutes ago

I know its like time travel in a strange sought of way, makes me all ways think of the GHod question but thats for another thread.

The thing that has always mystified me is...

...One of the first things you're told at school is that the light you see from stars is millions/billions of years old and that everything is dead now

But... the... sun... is... still... here...

1+fffff.PNG

Anyway, not that it'll ever happen, but how could you ever hope to travel around the galaxy if all of the points of reference aren't there anymore. You're flying blind man, flying blind... you could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it!

Wookie - stars are constantly born out of the dust created from older dead stars, so although the stars we see in the sky might not be there anymore, there will be younger ones born which have not been around long enough for their light to be seen on Earth yet. The Sun is very new compared to the Universe, and the gas it is made of has been inside thousands of stars before it, constantly being ejected by a supernova then recollected by gravity.

And regarding the using stars as navigation thing - the stars that are close enough to be visited will appear pretty close to how they actually are, due to the fact that they are nearer and so the light you are seeing is "newer".

Back